Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to pay for the new car

• 17-02-2017 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Hi there I'm hoping this isn't too stupid a question but here goes😀. I live in south Galway and am hoping to purchase a car from a dealer in another county two hrs away. I am going to see the car tomorrow and do a test drive etc if I like it as much as I think I will I would like to pay a deposit for it.
    Hoping to get it for around 11 grand. The credit union is lending me finance for the car.
    The credit union insist on paying by cheque so will I have to hand over the cheque and wait for it to Clear? That's a lot of driving up to see the car then back up to give them the cheque and then back up again after its cleared to collect car. Is there anyway they allow you to take the car once you give them the cheque? Also final question what is an appropriate amount as a deposit?
    Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Ask the Credit Union to give you a Bank Draft for €10K. Pay the deposit of €1k in cash. Any dealer worth their salt will accept the Bank Draft there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Thanks a mill for your reply. I will ask for a bank draft thank you. I was more thinking of €100 deposit than €1000 is that ridiculous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd say around €250-300 as a deposit would be more like it, €100 is kind of a walkaway amount that might not be acceptable to the dealer to hold the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

bertsmom wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for your reply. I will ask for a bank draft thank you. I was more thinking of €100 deposit than €1000 is that ridiculous?

Couple of hundred should be fine, tell him you'll have a bank draft for the remainder, that wouldn't be unusual

Thank you that will save me the embarrassment of offering a hundred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Will you post a link to the ad, might save you a trip.

Jesus I feel useless today not alone can I not figure out how to pay for a car I don't know how to post a link either!!!
    I do dress myself and hold down a job honestly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Jesus I feel useless today not alone can I not figure out how to pay for a car I don't know how to post a link either!!!
    I do dress myself and hold down a job honestly!

Car, year and where it is and these guys will find it.

Also you want to bargin I'm sure so don't get the draft/cheque for the asking price get it for at least 1k less and have the rest in cash so you can haggle.

If anyone is interested it's in Windsor airside it's 2015 Peugeot 208 with 18000 klms. Thanks everyone for the advice I appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Johntm

Think this is it https://www.windsor.ie/used-cars/details/peugeot/208/2015/28080
    €11,995 with a car traded in against it

Jaysus, that radio!

I assume you know that's the base model.

Same price, more spec
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/peugeot/208/used-2015-151-peugeot-208-active-1-0-waterford-fpa-4665482759128689731

I'm guessing radio isn't a term of endearment! Awww I like it. I've a soft spot for the 208. My first car was a 206 and it was brilliant. I have a VW Golf now and I hate it. I love little small cars

Yes. But the access model is rental car spec.

Manual mirrors, no air conditioning, no touch screen,

Also consider that you can buy a 171 208 access for €11940 on scrappage. Why have a 2 year old one?

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/peugeot/208/used-2017-171-peugeot-208-171-access-limerick-fpa-7758456563259693545

Now to be fair, there's probably €1k on top of that for delivery and metallic, but who cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Jesus tonight what kind of contraption is that in the dash. Looks like a CB radio from the 80s

Miike wrote: »
    Jesus tonight what kind of contraption is that in the dash. Looks like a CB radio from the 80s

There should be a touch screen there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There should be a touch screen there.

I know :eek: I wonder what happened to it :pac:

Colm thank you for your time, you've given me plenty to think about. I never considered any scrappage scheme because it's the credit union that my savings are with and isn't it banks that you have to finance a scrappage deal with?

You don't have to finance anything, you can pay any way you want.

My God this buying a car lark is bloody hard work! It's all as clear as mud. Thanks everyone though for the pointers and advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Don't get a draft for a garage if you haven't seen the car.... what happens if you don't like it or it's sold beforehand...??

You'll have to somehow get the draft refunded.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I'm guessing radio isn't a term of endearment! Awww I like it. I've a soft spot for the 208. My first car was a 206 and it was brilliant.I have a VW Golf now and I hate it. I love little small cars

Plenty of Yaris's, Pandas etc about if you like a small Car...all complete with their original equipment. Even the newish Toyota Aygo has a nice sporty look going for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yes. But the access model is rental car spec.

Manual mirrors, no air conditioning, no touch screen,

Also consider that you can buy a 171 208 access for €11940 on scrappage. Why have a 2 year old one?

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/peugeot/208/used-2017-171-peugeot-208-171-access-limerick-fpa-7758456563259693545

Now to be fair, there's probably €1k on top of that for delivery and metallic, but who cares.

Oh my god, a 68bhp 1.0 diesel engine. I couldn't be dealing with that. Lifes too short and all that.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Plenty of Yaris's, Pandas etc about if you like a small Car...all complete with their original equipment. Even the newish Toyota Aygo has a nice sporty look going for it.

Sadly, that radio is original equipment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

In Halfords ? Or in the 308 ? :)
    Even the Fascia Surround for it looks like it was made by a blind person, for another car.

The uk ones are the same!

Advertisement