Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace 8 ohm speaker in baby monitor

Options
  • 17-02-2017 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Speaker in baby monitor not working anymore so was going to replace it.
    Its a 8 ohm 0.5 watt speaker. Don't have one so will have to order one in.

Have a 16 ohm .25 watt on and was going to give that a go or will it just blow due to the higher wattage.

Thanks and appreciate the advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

foxirl wrote: »
    Hi,

Speaker in baby monitor not working anymore so was going to replace it.
    Its a 8 ohm 0.5 watt speaker. Don't have one so will have to order one in.

Have a 16 ohm .25 watt on and was going to give that a go or will it just blow due to the higher wattage.

Thanks and appreciate the advice.

I'm no speaker expert, but 0.25 watt is less than 0.5 watts, so I can't see how you would blow it.
    Simply put the replacement speaker is a higher impedance than the original so I would expect a smaller current to flow in the replacement speaker, not a larger current.

Have you two 16Ω speakers? You could parallel them and twould be a perfect match.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

2011 wrote: »
    I'm no speaker expert, but 0.25 watt is less than 0.5 watts, so I can't see how you would blow it.
    Simply put the replacement speaker is a higher impedance than the original so I would expect a smaller current to flow in the replacement speaker, not a larger current.

Thanks. Sure no harm giving it a go I suppose and if it doesn't work I can order the correct one online. My knowledge of electrics would be fairly limited but this is ran by battery so should be safe enough.

Have you two 16Ω speakers? You could parallel them and twould be a perfect match.

Perfect. Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Are you sure its the speaker? Most of the time the wiring or the electronics give up before the speaker does.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Are you sure its the speaker? Most of the time the wiring or the electronics give up before the speaker does.

There is an easy way to find out....

2011 wrote: »
    There is an easy way to find out....

Sure I'll find out when I try the new speaker

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

foxirl wrote: »
    Sure I'll find out when I try the new speaker

Well, keep us posted :)

Well, keep us posted :)

Will do. Will not get around to trying it till Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

As long as you're not using it at full volume it should be fine...

Have a read here if you're interested in speaker impedence etc...

http://www.prestonelectronics.com/audio/Impedance.htm

• Advertisement

Just soldered it in and all working perfect. Thanks for the advice. Saved the sister having to get a new one

Nice one :)

Advertisement