Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware/Software or Battery?.

Options
  • 17-02-2017 10:28pm

Hi.

This problem started in my laptop last year.

I basically wrote it off and just left it there.

I was thinking of getting another but the last two times similar happened with electronics the benfactors fixed them for prices I'd have happily paid.

As per the pictures, the laptop turns on.

With the battery in, it gives a battery error.

Whether its in or not it goes to recover and just goes nowhere.

Screen goes black for a while and a blue screen comes up saying it failed to boot and it restarts the process.

The pictures show basically the whole process I get when booting.

I'm just wondering would it be a bootibg error I can solve with Windows on a USB, maybe a hardware error thats not too expensive or just write it off...

The battery is definitely toast, but even taking it out does nothing to the laptop booting so it seems a secondary problem?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

The windows files on your laptop need to be repaired or replaced,
    to a degree beyond the capabilities of the automatic repair.

Is it windows 8.1 or windows 10 installed, or 7?

Are there files that you want to recover/backup from the disk before carrying out a format / wipe clean?

You could try to start the laptop, keep pressing the F8 button to get to the windows boot menu. Then try starting in safe mode / normal mode to see if there is any difference.

Failing that, there are a few bootable CDs / usb images that could let you access your documents and photos. e.g https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

After they are recovered, with a HP laptop rapidly hitting F11 should bring up the HP recovery partition to offer a factory reset (wipe everything back to the out-of-the-box status).

Thanks for the reply.

I messed about with this a bit more.

Can't seem to do a boot from the USB, can't run the recovery.

I was able to run a diagnostic and it seems to show the hard drive has failed.

Can I take that test as gospel?... so that if I replace the hard drive it should work again and that the symptoms are characteristic of hard drive failure?.

I looked into opening it, possibly changing it myself but the guides and videos show a version with a compartment on the bottom.
    Mine has none and I suppose being as its not something I've done before, I don't want to risk breaking it further

Note: I did a full diagnostic and the HD was the only failure but the picture is too big to upload.
    That was the second test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

That's a HP Pavillion TouchSmart 11-e030sa?

The in-depth maintenance and service manual is at...
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03823315
    pg 36,37,38 for the hard drive access.

Most of the bottom cover makes up the maintenance panel for the hard drive.
    It also says that the replacement hard drive needs to be 7mm thick (many common laptop drives are 9mm thick or more.) It's a 2.5" drive.

The fact that the old drive is passing SMART suggests that your old files might still be recoverable from it, but it might have to be connected by a USB to SATA cable using a working computer.

If it was my laptop, absolutely I'd replace the drive.

As for installing Windows...
    Did you upgrade to windows 10?
    Procedure to download and re-install from scratch using a USB key is at
    http://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c04730900

Advertisement