Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sulphate of Iron for moss

Options
  • 17-02-2017 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I've tried in the past to mix this with boiling water to dissolve it and then into a spray can with cold water. I can't get it to work really. When it dies work it is a great job

Does anybody know of any type of sulphate of iron that will go through the spray can?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

In the absence of putting on in liquid form, this is what I currently do.

Not as good as spraying it on though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Don't use boiling water, use warm tap water - no point melting the knapsack sprayer.
    Agitate the knapsack every couple of metres (shake it) and I find adding extra water prevents the lance from clogging as easily. Say, if you could spray the area with 5L, use 10. Give it a second pass. I do this, keeping the Iron dose correct and have no problems. I open up the nozzle a bit more too, as the particles don't dissolve and settle quickly in the tank - hence the need to shake it. You'll look like a spaz to the untrained eye, shaking as you walk along, but you'll get the job done. Wash out the sprayer, lance and nozzle after - particles can clog and affect later spraying.

I always just spread it by gloved hand. For larger areas I section of areas with string and move as each area is covered.

My garden is 3500 sq metres.
    One sulphate of iron bag (25 kg) liquidised will do all this, otherwise 5 or more bags if spread as powder. That's why I'm enquiring.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

I use an old style watering can but it does clog a bit.You have to keep rinsing it

I usually overdose a good bit.The grass comes back stronger afterwards

You need a few passes to get coverage

I found this
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FEDYHH4?psc=1

Does anybody have experience of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

A boom sprayer on an atv or attach a broadcast spreader to the back over your ride-on.
    If you're spreading iron to kill moss, I'd suggest using a different method for a 3,500 garden. If it's to green it up, I'd recommend using the broadcast spreader with dry, granulated iron added with some type of fertiliser. Maybe a bag or 2 of 7-6-17 with Sulphur.

Even go onto the farming forum and ask there or check out any pitch maintenance programmes online...see how they do it. Your garden is half the size of a rugby pitch.

Advertisement