Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firing pin gone in 22?

Options
  • 17-02-2017 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Went out today to set the 22 as just after getting the license and ye hear a click when ye pull the trigger but the bullet won't go off! Is that something to do with the firing pin? Any help would be appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

A good through strip and clean of the gun,especially the bolt and trigger mechanism,can usually sort out 80% of misfiring .22s.and by through I mean it to the level of an Marine Corps "white glove" inspection.:D Clean out every little chink and hidey hole on the breech and bolt using Qtips, toothpicks,etc.22 ammo is notoriously dirty and it gunks up pretty quickly .so it is more than likely causing your problem.If that doesn't sort it out ,start looking for mechanical problems.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Are you getting a strike on the base of the case? If there's no strike mark then your fireing pin or spring could be the problem. The spring may be damaged or worn or simply bunged up with crud. You haven't by any chance spent the last 24 hrs dry firing the rifle in anticipation of today, not good for a rim fire. If you bolt is the same or similar to a Brno you should be able to manipulate the bolt in the shroud to see the firing pin standing pround of the bolt face. Most .22 rimfires will with stand dogs abuse for generations but simple things like congealed oil and gunk can prevent proper working.

Secondly, did this happen with every round or only a certain few, did you change ammo brand, I've seen bulk ammo produce duds and have had other brands that just weren't compatible with the guns.

By the way if your getting this problem intermittently do not get complacent and ignore your drills - keep gun pointed down range, wait for a few moments before unloading and discard the round in a safe manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Crow Pigeon and Pheasant

Grizzly 45 wrote:
    A good through strip and clean of the gun,especially the bolt and trigger mechanism,can usually sort out 80% of misfiring .22s.and by through I mean it to the level of an Marine Corps "white glove" inspection. Clean out every little chink and hidey hole on the breech and bolt using Qtips, toothpicks,etc.22 ammo is notoriously dirty and it gunks up pretty quickly .so it is more than likely causing your problem.If that doesn't sort it out ,start looking for mechanical problems.

Are you getting a strike on the base of the case? If there's no strike mark then your fireing pin or spring could be the problem. The spring may be damaged or worn or simply bunged up with crud. You haven't by any chance spent the last 24 hrs dry firing the rifle in anticipation of today, not good for a rim fire. If you volt is the same or similar to a Brno you should be able to manipulate the bot in the shroud to see the firing pin standing pround of the bolt face. Most .22 rimfires will with stand dogs abuse for generations but simple things like congealed oil and gunk can prevent proper working.

Secondly, did this happen with every round or only a certain few, did you change ammo brand, I've seen bulk ammo produce duds and have had other brands that just weren't compatible with the guns.

By the way if your getting this problem intermittently confirmed get complacent and ignore your drills - keep gun pointed down range, wait for a few moments before unloading and discard the round in a safe manner.

Thanks guys no I wasn't dry firing it!
    Yeah happened with every round! Couldn't see that it had mark on the case! Yeah did it all safely! I will have to try take it apart and clean it by the sounds of it! Thanks for the help!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

What 22 is it? CZ, Ruger, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

Went out today to set the 22 as just after getting the license

Did you buy the gun new or second-hand?

If second hand was it working when previous owner sold it?

If new I'd return it to dealer without tampering with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭sharkfox

I don't mean this in a bad way but are you sure you have the right ammunition for your rifle. I remember someone here before having trouble when the dealer gave them 22mag instead of 22lr with a rifle they had bought.

J.R. wrote:
    Did you buy the gun new or second-hand?

J.R. wrote:
    If second hand was it working when previous owner sold it?

J.R. wrote:
    If new I'd return it to dealer without tampering with it.

Second hand but it was my uncles before he gave it to me!

sharkfox wrote:
    I don't mean this in a bad way but are you sure you have the right ammunition for your rifle. I remember someone here before having trouble when the dealer gave them 22mag instead of 22lr with a rifle they had bought.

Thanks I'll check again just to be sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Recently had similar with .22 hornet.. quick strip and Ultrasonic bath.. rebuilt and oiled, sweet as a daisy now..
    Happy to help you out if your local..

Recently had similar with .22 hornet.. quick strip and Ultrasonic bath.. rebuilt and oiled, sweet as a daisy now.. Happy to help you out if your local..

Thanks! I brought it to the gunshop today thinks the spring is gone so sent it off! Getting him to thread the barrel for the silencer while he has it! Also have a question about the silencer seen as I didn't have it when I applied for my license the garda said I didn't need it scribbled it out said I didn't have to register apply for a licence if I got a silencer on it! What is the way if I do put a silencer on it would I have to reset apply for a new license or not? I only have my licence a few days! Thanks

• Advertisement

SILENCERS – GUIDANCE AS TO THEIR USE
    Under section 1 of The Firearms Act, 1925 as amended by section 26 Criminal Justice Act 2006, silencers are defined as firearms. Statutory Instrument. No: 21 of 2008: Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008, as amended, defines silencers as:
    Any devices fitted or capable of being fitted to the firearms for the purpose of moderating or reducing the sound made on their discharge.
    The S.I, as amended, further defines all silencers, except ‘those capable of being used only with long rifled firearms’, to be restricted firearms. Silencers will not ordinarily be subject to certification. However, under section 7 of the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act, 1990, a silencer must be authorised by a superintendent of the Garda Síochána.
    providing that the applicant is in possession of a firearms certificate for the firearm to which it is to be fitted.
    Applications for authorisations silencers for non restricted firearms will continue to be made to the superintendent of the district where the applicant resides. The Garda Commissioner, under section 25C of the Firearms Act 1925 as inserted by section 48 of the Criminal Justice Act 2006, has delegated his functions with regard to restricted firearms to members of chief superintendent rank. Accordingly in the event of an application for a silencer that is defined as a restricted firearm, this application will be made to the chief superintendent of that division and the silencer will require certification. When a silencer has been authorised for a particular firearm, this should be documented on the firearms certificate.
    Silencers are designed to reduce the report of the firearm so as to conceal the position of the shooter, and also to reduce the felt recoil. Silencers have traditionally been used on rimfire rifles of .22 calibres when shooting rabbits. This allows the shooter to kill other animals who are not alarmed by the low report of the rifle. This justification may not apply in the case of the shooting of other less numerous and less sociable animals such as foxes.

...........(edited out use for deer stalking and range practice)........

In light of the disadvantages of the use of a silencer and the limited benefits – benefits which can be obtained in other less dangerous ways – the threshold for ‘Good Reason’ to seek to have a silencer certified for any restricted firearm such as centrefire handguns or semi automatic centrefire rifles will be quite high.
    When an applicant is applying for a firearm certificate, the application should include whether or not a silencer is being sought for that particular firearm. A subsequent application for a silencer will require the applicant to re apply on a new application form FCA1 and will require the full €80 fee. As already stated, all firearm certificates must now include details of any authorisation for a silencer in respect of that particular firearm

Taken from the Commissioners Guide.... you do need authorization and the magic 'S' on your license.

Thanks! Guess it's only illegal if ye get caught! Only thing was I didn't want to say anything that would have seemed disrespectful to the garda so I just left it!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Thanks! I brought it to the gunshop today thinks the spring is gone so sent it off! Getting him to thread the barrel for the silencer while he has it! Also have a question about the silencer seen as I didn't have it when I applied for my license the garda said I didn't need it scribbled it out said I didn't have to register apply for a licence if I got a silencer on it! What is the way if I do put a silencer on it would I have to reset apply for a new license or not? I only have my licence a few days! Thanks

get onto your firearms officer and tell them you want a new license to be sent out with an s on it.

Its not rude to ask to comply with the law.

Its only illegal if you get caught yada yada..

but if you get caught you're in for a world of pain.. Dont worry about asking a guard anything.. we pay their shagging wages and 90% of the time they make a fück up of licenses anyway! so get to them. Tell them what you want.

If asked for a reason tell them for protection of hearing or firing near livestock. Both of which are totally viable.

'hdz

hedzball wrote:
    If asked for a reason tell them for protection of hearing or firing near livestock. Both of which are totally viable.

hedzball wrote:
    but if you get caught you're in for a world of pain.. Dont worry about asking a guard anything.. we pay their shagging wages and 90% of the time they make a fück up of licenses anyway! so get to them. Tell them what you want.

hedzball wrote:
    Its only illegal if you get caught yada yada..

hedzball wrote:
    get onto your firearms officer and tell them you want a new license to be sent out with an s on it.

hedzball wrote:
    Its not rude to ask to comply with the law.

Thanks! They will be able to just send out a new license or will I have to go through all the paperwork again?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

hedzball wrote: »

'hdz

Unless you are unlucky enough to have a Super who doesn't allow them, of course ........

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Unless you are unlucky enough to have a Super who doesn't allow them, of course ........

Then take him to court and make an example of him.

We lose enough by not standing up for ourselves

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

'hdz

You paying ?

'hdz

When applying for a moderator - there is no guarantee that it will be granted.

Many moderator applicants have been refused or granted with restriction as to where it can be used.

Do ye who have a 22 all have the s on yer licence? Plus could I take it off for transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Do ye who have a 22 all have the s on yer licence? Plus could I take it off for transport?

I have a moderator and an S on the licence. I'd be breaking the law if I didn't have the S on the licence and was in possession of a moderator.

The moderator screws on and off so yes, you can take it off for transport. I only put the moderator onto my rifle when I'm going to use it. I keep it off for transport and storage. I've seen moderators rust onto the barrel of a rifle and be an absolute b*stard to get off.

If you tick the box for the silencer when applying for your gun licence, the fee is €80 in total for both the moderator and firearm (if granted). If you apply at a later date for the moderator on its own, then it's another €80. Because you have your licence now, I think your best option is to apply separately for a moderator. I think it is too late to complain about your form being changed because the Garda changed the form in front of you so that implies that he did it pretty much with your consent. The Garda has probably cost you an extra €80 that you didn't need to spend by having to apply separately for the moderator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

You don't need to pay again you just ring the district office of the Garda station who granted the application and ask them to reprint the licence with the magic S

You could do up a letter outlining your reasons for requiring the moderator.

The majority of cases may be that the Gardaí don't demand the payment of another €80, but as a suppressor is classed as a firearm in it's own right legally and technically you are meant to pay the €80 if the suppressor is applied for after the license is gotten.

So its best to plan for having to pay it, but being happy when/if they don't charge for it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Ok thanks for that information guys! Just wanted to know what I had to do!

Ok thanks for that information guys! Just wanted to know what I had to do!

Before going in to talk to F.O. be prepared - you'll probably get one chance at it.

Have your list of reasons ready as to why you need a moderator.

J.R. wrote:
    Have your list of reasons ready as to why you need a moderator.

J.R. wrote:
    Before going in to talk to F.O. be prepared - you'll probably get one chance at it.

Thanks! Any good tips that are usually accepted? Should I ring the F.O or would I have to meet them?

Have a read of a our tip section.

This is a copy, some what of the accompanying letter I send in for my .22 mod applications

Garda Name
    Address Block

Ref: Permission To Hold And Use A Sound Suppressor

I wish to apply for permission to hold and use a sound suppressor on my rifle (FAC No XXXXXXXXX) due to the following reasons:

1. Health and Safety -To prevent hearing damage to me and others. To be aware of what and who is around me when hunting in the "field" and to be able to hear people giving me instructions and warnings. Hearing protection is not an option under these conditions. Using a variety of .22LR ammunition such as low, standard and high velocity exposes individuals to sound levels ranging from 142-151 dBA which is above the recognised threshold of 140 dB where hearing can be permanently damage.

2. Public Safety and Peace- To reduce the noise pollution to the public and wildlife in the area if they are within hearing distance of shots being fired as I have shooting permission on lands where this possibly could happen. On occasion the night shooting of vermin (rabbits) is needed the use of a sound suppressor will reduce the noise pollution to the public and wildlife.

3. Due Care and Consideration for Livestock and Horses- I have permission to shoot on lands for the control of vermin (rabbits, grey crows) where livestock and horses are kept and a non sound suppressed firearm being fired will startle and frighten the livestock, horses and other animals in the area, which could result in loss and death of unborn animals. The sounds of un-moderated shooting can stampede the horses that could result in severe injury to others or the horses themselves, a sound suppressor is required on these occasions.

I hope I have outlined the reasons why I require a sound suppressor for my rifle and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

And this one is for a centre fire for stalking and fox control...

I wish to apply for permission to hold and use a sound suppressor on my rifle due to the following reasons:

1. Health and Safety -To prevent hearing damage to me and others. To be aware of what and who is around me when hunting in the “field” and to be able to hear people giving me instructions and warnings. Hearing protection is not an option under these conditions.

2. Accuracy- Improved accuracy of bullet placement on animals and thereby given a humane kill. Reduced recoil and hence better gun control is one proven enhancement of using a sound suppressor.

3. Public Safety and Peace- To reduce the noise pollution to the public and wildlife in the area if they are within hearing distance of shots being fired as I have shooting permission on lands where this possibly could happen.On occasion the night shooting of vermin is needed the use of a sound suppressor will reduce the noise pollution to the public and wildlife.

4. Due Care and Consideration for Livestock and Horses- I have permission to shoot on lands for both the control of vermin and deer culling (see attached licence) where livestock and horses are kept and a non sound suppressed firearm being fired will startle and frighten the livestock, horses and other animals in the area, which could result in loss and death of unborn animals. The sounds of un-moderated shooting can stampede the horses that could result in severe injury to others or the horses themselves, a sound suppressor is required on these occasions.

I hope I have outlined the reasons why I require a sound suppressor for my rifle and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thanks cookimonster! That's a great help much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭DogfoxCork

i can remember being given a load of yellow jackets and nearly an entire box misfiring!

Advertisement