Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medion desktop I5 hdd dead - how to recover?

Options
  • 18-02-2017 7:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Only drive in my Medion I5 seems to have died. It gives me a message that the PCE cable is bad. I have placed the network boot to the bottom of the queue as recommended, but no go. Bios shows sata1 not present, so I replaced the hdd with a new WDC Red drive. It offers to consider putting a boot media in a boot drive. I made the cd/dvd the primary boot. I did not get a windows boot disk with the PC, just a recovery disk. I tried booting to that, but no.
    In desperation I downloaded a spurious win 8.1 iso and cut it to dvd, but it wont boot from that either.
    Running out of ideas. How can I put a working OS on the primary drive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Have you burned the ISO correctly to the disk? What did you use to burn it?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

I cant be sure the ISO image was burnt OK, except it doesnt work on the Medion. I dont use DVDs much now and my version of Nero is on the dead PC I downloaded an app called Freeisoburner and used that.

I opened the DVD created on another PC and it looks OK, with lots of files and folers including a setup.exe. That was a Win7 machine but I dont use it much so I will try booting to the disk on it. Wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

When you burned the iso, did you burn it as a bootable disk? An iso is just an archive, unless it contains the boot files it will never boot. Try Rufus (free) which allows you to create a bootable usb flash drive from an iso.

Hi Oisin

I composed a reply to your mail. Did you get it? It vanished from the thread. Here is a short version.

I made a bootable USB and DVD which failed, although they worked in another PC. Now I am asking Medion to take back the HDD or PC.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Download Windows 10 using the Windows Media Creation tool. It's very straight forward and requires no effort, it will set up a bootable USB stick for you (assuming you have a 8GB USB key lying around).

Once it's done, restart the PC with the USB stick inserted and it should automatically boot into setup.

Windows 10 should also activate automatically on a Medion system, even if the original OS was 7/8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

Which model Medion PC do you have? Have you checked that all the connections (power/sata) to the DVD drive are good? When you put a disk in does it spin up? There is a Medion forum here: http://medion.adslweb.co.uk/phpbb2/portal.php which covers all models.

BTW Do you get a message to "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD"? Try pressing the F9 or F12 keys after the boot screen, it should bring up a menu to allow you to choose boot device.

Yes I checked all cables. I got a message to boot from CD/DVD but it didn't.

Thanks but its up to Medion now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

captainpat wrote: »
    Yes I checked all cables. I got a message to boot from CD/DVD but it didn't.

Thanks but its up to Medion now.
    You know that Medion have a free phonehelp line 1800 992508.? It goes to Germany I think

Thanks I have been in contact with Medion and it looks like they have given up.

Advertisement