Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dvi to hdmi question

Options
  • 18-02-2017 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Can anyone offer a suggestion. My kids have an xbox plugged into an older philips tv which only has scart and dvi connection.

I purchased a cable in argos that allows video only from the dvi to the hdmi and that's working perfectly but I have no audio at all.

I thought I could just plug some speakers into the phono jack and have some sound but nope.

How can I get sound in the cheapest way possible.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

teflon wrote: »

I thought I could just plug some speakers into the phono jack and have some sound but nope.
    Are you talking about the phono jack on the xBox cos that should work?

EDIT: scratch that, the hdmi from the Xbox is carrying the sound so unless there is a way to specify audio output from the Xbox I'm not sure how to work around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The phono on the tv wont work. XBOXONE doesnt have analogue out. 360 only has it via breakout cable.

A. If the TV has an Optical Port (Small black square about 8mm by 8mm) then buy an optical cable (I doubt it does though)

B. Buy an adapter with audio breakout.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-ONEVER-Adapter-Projector-Blu-Ray/dp/B01MCVPJYK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1487449713&sr=8-8&keywords=hdmi+to+dvi+audio

Or if the TV has a headphone socket you could connect that to the speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭teflon

mordeith wrote: »

I tried that but no sound at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

mordeith wrote: »

No it wont.
    I tried that but no sound at all..

As above.

The TV wont receive any audio, DVI is a visual only link. The adapter he's using is just dropping the audio channels. Its suitable for monitors where audio is separate.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    No it wont.

Yeah sorry. Brain fart.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭cml387

I assume this is to connect the xbox to new TV? It's not entirely clear.

There is a special cable required from the XBOX 360 . It has multiple phono connections, some are for RGB video and two are for stereo left/right. Given that it's a 360 you may need to go second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭teflon

cml387 wrote: »
    I assume this is to connect the xbox to new TV? It's not entirely clear.

There is a special cable required from the XBOX 360 . It has multiple phono connections, some are for RGB video and two are for stereo left/right. Given that it's a 360 you may need to go second hand.

Its to connect an xbox one to an older tv that only has scart and dvi connection available.

Any cheap suggestions?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Its to connect an xbox one to an older tv that only has scart and dvi connection available.

Any cheap suggestions?

Thanks

You mean cheaper than 20 odd quid?

ED E wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

• Advertisement
Advertisement