Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaping health concerns?

• 18-02-2017 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone has any health concerns toward vaping? Has it effected you through the lungs, breathing wise or any other way?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

No problems here in 4 years. My lungs cleared out big time from when I smoked, I know that. Some people have allergic reactions to high levels of PG where they suffer sore throat and sometimes skin problems. Itching, dryness etc .. Vaping as high a VG % as you can get helps avoid this.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mrmoonlight

No health concerns for me ,I'm off cigarettes nearly 1 year after 18 years of 20 a day and I can say for certain my health has improved big time. I've even taken up running and I've never felt better! All thanks to switching to vaping!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

There was a very interesting Horizon documentary on Vaping if you can get your hands on it it will clear up any of your concerns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

I vape and it definitely does inflame the lungs. If I'm going for a run and I have vaped that day I'll feel it (less stamina and lung function) compared to if I didn't vape that day. We all know that they are better than cigarettes but it can't be said what the long-term effects of vaping are yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭jonski

glasso wrote: »
    I vape and it definitely does inflame the lungs. If I'm going for a run and I have vaped that day I'll feel it (less stamina and lung function) compared to if I didn't vape that day. We all know that they are better than cigarettes but it can't be said what the long-term effects of vaping are yet.

It can't be said with 100% certainty , but they have a pretty good idea at this stage . They know what they contain , they know how they react within the body and they can surmise with a degree of confidence on the long term effects .

but as you said not 100%. obviously there is positive bias amongst vapers but the reality is that it won't be known with certainty for 20 to 30 years.

but as you said not 100%. obviously there is positive bias amongst vapers but the reality is that it won't be known with certainty for 20 to 30 years.

Indeed , but you could kinda say that about any new product that comes out . Here's a new blend of coffee , you will be ingesting it the same as the old one and we know all the ingredients in it and they have never harmed you before ...but you will have to drink it for 30 years before we can say with 100% certainty that it won't have any unforeseen side effects .

And don't be too sure about the positive bias , most if not all the vapers I know still think that this is too good to be true and are pleanty are awaiting the morning they wake up to a report that says " oooops guys , sorry we missed this one , or sorry we misled you " .

come on - coffee has been around for thousands of years in the same form.
    pg and vg have been around but people have NOT been sending them into their lungs in aerosol form, along with flavourings. that is totally new.

come on - coffee has been around for thousands of years in the same form.
    pg and vg have been around but people have NOT been sending them into their lungs in aerosol form, along with flavourings. that is totally new.

In fairness I was taking a new blend of coffee as a very simplistic example . My point was they know what the ingredients are they know how they behave, I presume, being scientists, they can run simulations and give sound educated advice on long term effects, but heh, maybe I'm wrong .

• Advertisement

the aerosol into the lungs is the key point/change - it's not known what effects vg and pg and flavourings will produce there over a long period of time. it's obviously totally different to eating some food with vg in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

How long is long term?

Vaping has been around for well over 10 years, first commercially successful e-cig was in 2003. Time goes by fast enough and the sample size of vapers is now in the multi-millions. So just how long...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I agree who knows in the long term but I cannot dispute the amazing affect moving from smoking 20+ cigs a day to Vaping has had on my husband, he smoked for 55 years and moved to Vaping coming up a year an a half ago. He looks 10 years younger, his skin is amazing and his teeth have lost the nicotine staining plus he has far more energy and can walk upstairs without getting breathless etc.

8mm wrote: »
    How long is long term?

Vaping has been around for well over 10 years, first commercially successful e-cig was in 2003. Time goes by fast enough and the sample size of vapers is now in the multi-millions. So just how long...

I said earlier 20 to 30 years. As a comparison, people who smoked a lot in their teens, twenties, thirties and stopped somewhere in that time have subsequently gotten smoking-related throat and/or lung cancer in their fifties and sixties.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Like it or not the jury will be out for a good few years yet. i celebrated 7 years vaping a few weeks ago. When I first made the switch I made a conscious choice to change from something that would almost certainly seriously debilitate me in later life if not kill me for something that seemed to be a safer alternative and I accepted that I couldn't be 100% sure it was completely safe.

That aside I'm quite wary of the sub-ohm stuff and haven't tried it yet. I'm concerned about very high temperatures but then I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to sub-ohm vaping.

I think the jury will always be out no matter the time or positive results in health.

Look at the food we consume and the amount of conflicting research that is produced. It's so difficult to prove cause when there are so many things that can effect an outcome.

From general population statistics it's been found that stopping smoking without alternatives tends to plateau around 20% no matter what is done via warnings/taxes. Yet there is a persistent war-on-x attitude when harm reduction should be front and center.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Zelda247 wrote: »
    I agree who knows in the long term but I cannot dispute the amazing affect moving from smoking 20+ cigs a day to Vaping has had on my husband, he smoked for 55 years and moved to Vaping coming up a year an a half ago. He looks 10 years younger, his skin is amazing and his teeth have lost the nicotine staining plus he has far more energy and can walk upstairs without getting breathless etc.

This is what it's all about imo, it's always good to hear things like this. Good for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

Thanks for all your replies. I'd be interested to hear from someone who never smoked and went straight to vaping. Just out of curiosity, to hear their opinion.

Also, there is that thing called "popcorn lung" which is apparently a serious issue with vaping due to the flavorings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Daithi 1 wrote: »
    Also, there is that thing called "popcorn lung" which is apparently a serious issue with vaping due to the flavorings.

http://www.snopes.com/vaping-causes-popcorn-lung/

A lot of scaremongering with this and hugely overblown.

Personally I avoid these components in my DIY juices because I can and I have no need of them to make very satisfying tastey mixes. Plenty of commercial juices out there that do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Thanks for all your replies. I'd be interested to hear from someone who never smoked and went straight to vaping. Just out of curiosity, to hear their opinion.

I see other have relied on this but its really worth stating that a huge % of these "negative findings" are wildly misleading and funded by questionable entities.

One of the more convincing ones that initially had me concerned actually used a new but 4/5 year old 2.2ohm coil with about 25watts of power going into it ffs :eek:

Advertisement