Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Employer wants to know a lot......

Options
  • 18-02-2017 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey all,

need some advice....

Got a 'letter' from my Employer, and he writes in that, the following:

"Our fleet insurance premium has doubled in 24 months in spite of a relatively good claims record,

To endeavor to minimize future fleet insurance premiums, 'our' insurers have requested the 'attached' questionnaire to be completed and returned with a current copy of your driving license".

He wants to know (on behalf of the Insurance company)
    1. My Penalty points (date, type of policy,Details of the fine and expiry date)
    2. Any outstanding claims (date, type of policy, details and who was at fault)
    3. Convictions (date, details and length of suspension)
    4. Medical conditions (date of diagnosis, treatment, type of meds, emergency contact)

I work in this place for the last 13 years as a HGV driver.
    I do have penalty points, which i got during driving for work about 2 years ago.
    I have a bad back, but he knows that, was already 2 months out of work for that.

The 'so called' "attached questionnaire" is a cheap copy of a copy with our company logo!!!
    Not really a 'attached questionnaire from the Insurance company'.

Do I have to fill in this form and sign and date it at the bottom.
    Any advice is welcome and appreciated....

Regards...
    Tagged:

Comments

If your boss knows about your bad back and your penalty points, why are you reluctant to share the details on paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hey all,

need some advice....

Got a 'letter' from my Employer, and he writes in that, the following:

"Our fleet insurance premium has doubled in 24 months in spite of a relatively good claims record,

To endeavor to minimize future fleet insurance premiums, 'our' insurers have requested the 'attached' questionnaire to be completed and returned with a current copy of your driving license".

4. Medical conditions (date of diagnosis, treatment, type of meds, emergency contact)

I work in this place for the last 13 years as a HGV driver.
    I do have penalty points, which i got during driving for work about 2 years ago.
    I have a bad back, but he knows that, was already 2 months out of work for that.

The 'so called' "attached questionnaire" is a cheap copy of a copy with our company logo!!!
    Not really a 'attached questionnaire from the Insurance company'.

Do I have to fill in this form and sign and date it at the bottom.
    Any advice is welcome and appreciated....

Regards...

It's all information that you have to tell the insurance company when getting a quote, it doesn't matter what it's written on it's most likely to make it easier for whoever is getting the quotes to say what each driver has. Not telling your boss/insurance company will void any cover you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Not sure why you wouldn't.

I've a company vehicle and every year the outside company who manage our vehicles sends us a questionnaire covering stuff like that. They also remind us that we are obliged to report any change of circumstances (including getting points) as soon as they happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Same in the company I work for and every other company where a vehicle was provided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

The Medical conditions are always asked by Insurers as standard practice.

My guess they are looking for info on conditions like diabetes etc , which need to be disclosed given the potential to effect driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Patww79 wrote: »

So an insurance company wanting to know if you have had accidents or received penalty points is "shady"? When the employer asked his insurer to reduce his premiums, it is likely he was asked to submit his drivers profile to allow them consider it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Seems reasonable enough..?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd say it's not set in stone that the insurer wants the information at all by the sounds of it. Sounds like an excuse from the employer that's fishing for some means.

Every insurance policy for a vehicle I've taken out has asked them questions. The company may be trying to move from an open drive policy, anyone between 25 and 70 with suitable licence can drive, to a named driver policy to reduce costs.

I'd even think that there are legal requirements for an employer to know the status of people that they require to drive as part of their job. Especially after the bin lorry driver in Scotland history has been revealed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-39006862

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭goochy

I work in company with very few company vehicles including my own . Never been asked any of this and pray I don't ! Get asked for copy of licence every few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

The employer has to declare the driving history of anyone likely to drive. Nothing wrong with him looking for proof of the driving status of his drivers. Why would he risk invalidating his policy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Same in the company I work for and every other company where a vehicle was provided.

Me too and the company my employer works for also demanded this information along with a copy of my certificate of professional competence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭mikeecho

All fairly standard stuff that any employer should know, when you are driving for them.

Not something that they could sack you for.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Your driving a hgv and don't think your driving history would affect your employers premiums? Hgv insurance makes the issues with car insurance premiums look like pocket change.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Id be more curious as to why this is the first time you've received one? Speaks to how on top of things your boss is generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭oscar2

"Irish and EU legislation requires that a driver should advise their driver licensing authority of any long-term or permanent injury or illness that may affect their safe driving ability."http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Licensed-Drivers/Safe-driving/Medical-Issues/

I would think you only need to disclose relevant medical conditions that may affect your driving ability. The RSA has advice here on licensing requirements and medical conditions.http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Licensed%20Drivers/Medical_Issues/Sl%c3%a1inte_agus_Tiom%c3%a1int_Medical_Fitness_to_Drive_Guidelines.pdf.

They're not entitled to personal medical information that isn't relevant.

123 insurance for example require:"do not suffer from any disability or medical condition that would impair your ability to drive but if you do it has been reported to the relevant driver licensing authority and they have issued a licence to drive"

If you ask your GP if its relevant and if necessary you notify the licensing authority then I can't see what entitlement your employer or Insurer has to know.

Also under data protection your employer will have to satisfy guidelines on how these questionaires are stored and used. If you wish you could wrap him up in knots on this one. Personal medical history has to be treated confidentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TheJudge2009

Sorry for my late reply.... was away relaxing at the sea side.....some people are lucky....

Read all the posts, thank you all for your advice.
    I am not going to comment individually, on your posts.
    Main reason for that is that you do not know my situation and will also not go into that.

I will take some advice and will look into that.

Again, thank you so much for the help...

Regards.....

MOD.... this can be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

4. Medical conditions (date of diagnosis, treatment, type of meds, .....

1, 3 & 4 I see.no issue with.

Item 2 however I'd at least query. Whether you have or have had a claim on an another, separate, non-work related insurance policy is irrelevant.

Example : you can have more than one motor policy and a claim on one does not impact on the other. I have multiple separate motor policies on different vehicles, including one which did have a claim and I've had confirmed multiple times, by different companies, that that is the case. And the renewals in the door every year confirm it. I had two policies with AXA with their own separately earned NCB and one was impacted and the other not.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement