Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

36 weeks and baby is transverse, what is likely to happen?

Options
  • 18-02-2017 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

A few week ago, my baby suddenly went from head down to transverse and no amount of floor scrubbing and positioning exercises has worked to turn the little fecker :rolleyes: I've been having regular scans (a whole other story) and they told me that if the baby is still transverse at my appointment this week, I would be kept in for observation. They wouldn't elaborate any further on a plan of action etc.

Has anyone had a similar experience? What happened in the end? Will they try and turn the baby? And at what stage do they decide to do a section for transverse babies? I will be nearly 37 weeks at my next appointment. I know it's all only a possibility at the moment but I would rather be aware now so that I can get my head around it.

The midwife was absolutely spot on when she said that third babies can be troublesome :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You don't have to stay in if you don't want to. They usually do the cesarean at 39 weeks. They may try to turn the baby. There's still time for the baby to turn back though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I hope the baby does turn back January! I have a feeling that my consultant will try and insist on me staying, she is over cautious under normal circumstances plus I've already had complications that landed me in hospital for nearly 3 weeks so she's being extra cautious with me now :eek: Having said that, I'm only a 5 minute drive from the hospital so hopefully I'll be able to plead my case.

Until then, it's pelvic tilts and inversion exercises methinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The main reason for keeping you in is the risk of cord prolapse if your waters break, that's an emergent situation. I wish you all the best, hope baby turns back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Exactly this ^^. My 2nd turned transverse at 38 weeks and I was admitted. They'll let you out if the baby turns and stays turned for 48hrs. They were very hopeful baby would turn from transverse and were not looking to do a section until at least 39 weeks. In the end due to something else I went for an emergency section at 38+2.

Edited to add, I asked about them turning the baby and they said they wouldn't with me as I had a previous c section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I got the train to get it turned and the train did it! The bumping of the carriages did the trick :) no need for turning after that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Just a quick update! I did loads of positioning exercises and the baby turned so I spent the last few weeks of my pregnancy on the birthing ball making sure it stayed in place. Went into labour 1 day overdue and all was going well until my waters broke at 8cm and suddenly the baby spun from head down into a breech position :eek: Doctors and midwives said they'd never seen anything like it. Ended up with an emcs and a very unusual birth story to tell! My rebellious little lady is 4 weeks old now and everyone's doing well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭1moreyr

Glad everything went well. Am laughing at the rebellious little lady bit :D:D:D My little girl was the exact same, stubborn out, breech, transverse, head never engaged etc...she just did not want to come out. 9 years later she just does her own thing. Beautiful but oh so headstrong. Wouldn't change her for the world. Best of luck

Advertisement