Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I being unreasonable with me expectations

Options
  • 18-02-2017 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the advice guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭anewme

You are doing a lot for 10 an hour?

Is that the going rate for your role?

If you have experience of all those areas of work, perhaps look at new opportunities for yourself..

You seem quite career focussed op, please know your own worth. Cancelling reviews at the last minute 3 times is disrespectful at best.

I would schedule another review asap and not let them back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

From the way you describe your work, it sounds like you are being paid very little. I would definitely request a raise (based on the efficiencies you have brought to the department), and if it's not forthcoming start looking for a new position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

First the positives. You're getting great experience and that cannot be taken away from you and it is a transferable skill to another employer.

However, reading down through your post I was expecting something along the lines of, I'm stuck on €50k and looking for a review.

You've achieved a lot... my concern is that someone else could be taking credit.

Someone in the company knows you're making a valuable contribution to the company - hopefully it's the person that can give you the review.

As has been said above, request that a date for review is scheduled and that you're available in the evenings/early mornings to facilitate if required.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

No offense to anyone people doing low skilled menial jobs get paid that or more. if you are on ten Euro an hour , how much are your reports earning ? You should be well above what people you are supervising earn . Do you have any formal education ? Are they using this as an excuse for not paying you a good wage ?

My advice go to your manager and demand a pay rise of X amount or alternatively use your skill and work ethic and go else where and earn a decent living

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Either you are grossly exaggerating your role/responsibility or you are being criminally underpaid. Either way, if you're not happy something needs to change.

• Advertisement

Absolutely, you are in no way unreasonable with your expectations and my jaw dropped when you said you were earning €10 an hour.
    Update your CV with this very valuable experience and start looking around. At the same time email the person who is supposed to do your review and state that after 3 last minute cancellations, you need a firm commitment for a time that will not be cancelled again.
    You need to discuss your salary and know exactly what you want before going into the review.
    There is a lot to be said for doing a job that you really enjoy but you should be adequately and fairly compensated for your achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

As the poster above said - you should be aiming for 50k. It's time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Do you mind saying what industry you are in? I can think of very few industries where a person with the responsibilities you detail would be on €10 an hour.

That includes waitstaff supervisor in a bar. All the same responsibilities though the supplier might only be napkins for the tables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Do you mind saying what industry you are in?

Unless picking up the OP incorrectly it looks like he's managing a profit centre.

It's unlikely a supervisor of wait staff would be expected to:-

1. Come up with ideas to turn the department from loss making to break-even.
    2. Outline New procedures.
    3. Manage disciplinary matters (open to serious consequences if the OP isn't properly trained)
    4. Organise external (aint gonna be cheap) training
    5. Hire staff
    6. Developing Staff.

All this within what seems a sizeable company. Of course everything said by the OP is subjective. But, it's hard to conceptualise a scenario, even allowing for exaggeration where €10 ph would be the norm.

Advertisement