Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Toyota CH-R...?

• 18-02-2017 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Any thoughts on these...?
    I have a Golf 1.2TSI and I'm thinking of changing it, it's a DSG and I really like it but I was thinking about getting something slightly more fun like a newer GTD, I was thinking of getting a Scirocco but I've been dissuaded from doing that.
    I think I could get a new one of these for what I'd have to spend to get a decent '16 VW Golf
    It's got to be automatic (life's too short to change gear) so that rules out the 1.2 petrol model so that leaves the 1.8 petrol hybrid automatic.

Also what's the difference between VW's DSG box and Toyota's CVT box?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Those two boxes are totally different
    The Direct Shift Gearbox is more like a manual with 2 clutches so your next gear is always ready to go.
    The Continuously Variable Transmission is like driving manual car with a worn clutch. You hold it at a certain rev and the speed kinda just climbs up.
    In my opinion CVT boxes are less economical and old tech. I'd buy the DSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They would similar to a Nissan Juke so make sure you are happy with the smaller interior. I heard people complaining of the rear being very claustrophobic too as the rear windows are very small and rear visibility being poor. Maybe try and get an extended test drive of one for a day or weekend first. Hybrid wise they should be fine, tried and tested drivetrain from the Prius. CVT box in those hybrids takes a bit of getting used to compared to a normal auto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Cvt will be much smoother than a dsg.

But they are very different and they can result in it holding a continous rev under hard acceleration. But the point of this is to keep the car at the maximum torque.

Try one for a really good long test drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

I drive a DSG car and have had several cvt autos as rentals, Nissan and Toyota cvt's.
    IMO if you enjoy driving and want something fun stay well away from a cvt, they are horrible. As mentioned then engine just holds a high rpm and the car feels like clutch slip as it accelerates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Neilw wrote: »
    I drive a DSG car and have had several cvt autos as rentals, Nissan and Toyota cvt's.
    IMO if you enjoy driving and want something fun stay well away from a cvt, they are horrible. As mentioned then engine just holds a high rpm and the car feels like clutch slip as it accelerates.

They are far from horrible for most drivers.....again we are letting our 'I am race car driver' ego get in the way of real life. But back to the OP's original question they are not fun, I think that had more to do with the rest of the vehicle, a Prius is not a fun car but a CVT is totally seamless, you never feel a shift and no matter how good the DSG is you certainly feel it shift gear.

Yes they are designed to optimise the torque and therefore hold a constant rev under load, but that is a much more efficient way to do and I don't just mean economy.

Real world if you could find an unprejudiced person and asked them to drive both in normal conditions, dropping kids to school, going to tesco, etc then there is a fair chance the completely smooth CVT would be the winner.

I don't currently have a CVT but I did for 4 years, I currently have an 8 speed BMW and it is much smoother than a DSG but not nearly as smooth as the CVT.

Just try one and see if you like it.....I did, but not instantly, it took a while to appreciate just how smooth they are.....

Now, if reliability is a consideration here, the CVT beats the DSG hands down..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Thanks, I have to say I love the DSG box in my VW, I've driven quite a few automatic cards and don't think any of them were as seamless and efficient as the DSG.
    Having said that I don't recall ever driving a CVT so I'll give it a go and see how it feels.
    Can anyone link to any sites or videos that compare CVT and DSG boxes? I'd just like to see how they work and how they compare to one another...

Advertisement