Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incremental Credit (Post Primary) for Teaching Abroad (TEFL)

Options
  • 18-02-2017 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I spent a year teaching English in a elementary school in Korea a few years ago. This was just before I did my PME. I'm now in my first year of teaching here at home in a secondary school and I was recently speaking to a colleague who mentioned that that work in Korea might entitle me to an increment. I'd imagine it doesn't but I suppose it's worth looking into. Does anyone here have any idea? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Hi folks,

I spent a year teaching English in a elementary school in Korea a few years ago. This was just before I did my PME. I'm now in my first year of teaching here at home in a secondary school and I was recently speaking to a colleague who mentioned that that work in Korea might entitle me to an increment. I'd imagine it doesn't but I suppose it's worth looking into. Does anyone here have any idea? Cheers.

Download an incremental credit claim form from the DES and send it in. You should have documentary proof of your year in Korea. It's probably unlikely to be awarded as it is not at second level but it is worth the price of a stamp. If they reject it get the union to look at it. They might appeal help you appeal it.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TinaQuigs

Just wondering how you got on with your application for incremental credit? I'm in the same boat. I did the HDip before I went to Korea and spent 2 years in Seoul teaching TEFL in a private school. Will it be recognised for incremental purposes do you think? I now teach English and Maths in a secondary school here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

TinaQuigs wrote: »
    Just wondering how you got on with your application for incremental credit? I'm in the same boat. I did the HDip before I went to Korea and spent 2 years in Seoul teaching TEFL in a private school. Will it be recognised for incremental purposes do you think? I now teach English and Maths in a secondary school here.

I don't know but at a guess I'd say you'dhave to be teaching English literature and following some state exam curriculum!

Advertisement