Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best .22LR silencer?

Options
  • 18-02-2017 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm new here ðŸ˜

I have been looking to get a decent .22LR silencer, but there is a few out there. I got a SAK recently and it isn't very effective in my opinion, is there anything better out there? What do yous recommend? I use subsonic rounds with my SAK.

HS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Hi all, I'm new here ðŸ˜

I have been looking to get a decent .22LR silencer, but there is a few out there. I got a SAK recently and it isn't very effective in my opinion, is there anything better out there? What do yous recommend? I use subsonic rounds with my SAK.

HS
    The Sak is considered one of the best, I found it very good on my cz452. What rifle are you using?

I use an atec wave on my 10/22 -the action makes more noise than the shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

I have just been out with my Cz 455 with a Parker hale mod on it. Very quiet shooting Winchester subs. Shot a few CCI stingers at longer range and you certainly appreciate the subs with the mod after shooting the stingers!!!!! Do you need extra quieter for any particular reason

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭HappyShooter

I'm using a Ruger 10/22. I understand that the action is quite loud on a semi auto compared to the bolt guns. What's best on the 10/22 to reduce the sound of the shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

How quiet do you need?
    I use an old style Brno full length barrel and an unbranded aluminium mod using Winchester subs (40gr I think?).
    I shoot over various land and conditions - wide open grasslands / stubble, dry earth, damp earth, forestry, along ditch lines, hedge rows, quarries, farm buildings etc and all of which can produce differing reports of the shot.
    My mates 30-06 is a heavy boomer but its a pussy cat out on the open hillside, but on an other permission between two mountains even a moderated .243 sounds like 3 car bombs going off one after another as the sound bounces back and forth between the mountain sides.
    I wouldn't get too caught up with the 'better' model, the difference would require sound meters to satisfy anyone's argument or opinions,......in my opinion that is:rolleyes:

I'm using a Ruger 10/22. I understand that the action is quite loud on a semi auto compared to the bolt guns. What's best on the 10/22 to reduce the sound of the shot?

Ahhh man there's your answer, if you watch any of the Discovery programs where semi / auto firearms using sound suppressors and modified ammo are being fired you'll hear the bolt going in and out of battery.
    Considering that you can hear the 'sound of a wet bag of sand being smacked' when the bullet empacts on an animal not only with a modified .22 but also with a modified .243 you'll understand how much noise the slap of a closing bolt can produce at the butt end of the rifle.
    Get some one, with extreme care, a lot of taught, planning and definitely not in the line of fire to stand away down range and way, way, way off to the side (I think I've covered myself there with all the safety minded) to report back the sound precived out a hunting distance. You'll be surprised as to what they will say, most likely the sound of the bolt won't be heard.

• Advertisement

Ahhh man there's your answer, if you watch any of the Discovery programs where semi / auto firearms using sound suppressors and modified ammo are being fired you'll hear the bolt going in and out of battery.
    Considering that you can hear the 'sound of a wet bag of sand being smacked' when the bullet empacts on an animal not only with a modified .22 but also with a modified .243 you'll understand how much noise the slap of a closing bolt can produce at the butt end of the rifle.
    Get some one, with extreme care, a lot of taught, planning and definitely not in the line of fire to stand away down range and way, way, way off to the side (I think I've covered myself there with all the safety minded) to report back the sound precived out a hunting distance. You'll be surprised as to what they will say, most likely the sound of the bolt won't be heard.

Ah that's an interesting theory, maybe I think it's louder than it is because I'm pulling the trigger? But then, I once had a farmer over 50m to my rear tell me he heard my shot at a rabbit. The rabbit didn't hear the shot of course!

Ah that's an interesting theory, maybe I think it's louder than it is because I'm pulling the trigger? But then, I once had a farmer over 50m to my rear tell me he heard my shot at a rabbit. The rabbit didn't hear the shot of course!

Back to situational impact - environment, climatic conditions and surrounding features ....

Back to situational impact - environment, climatic conditions and surrounding features ....

I see where you're coming from. It doesn't seem like there is much benefit upgrading so. The land is flat so I can see why sound would travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Try running the can "wet" to see if that improves things.It works with some different makes.
    "wet" is a term meaning you literaly wet the inside of the silencer with oil, WD 40,or simple tap water. Three or four puffs of aerosol oil or water will do this,it doesnt have to be literally dripping wet or running out your muzzle end.
    Apprently the liquid works as a cooling and extra suppression to bring the noise down further.
    Obviously ..apply common sense and saftey with this advice.Dont flood the can so that there is full liquid in there,it just needs to be coated with oil or water.
    Running semis with cans can be a bit of an art and science.Especially .22s.It needs still enough rear impetus to cycle the action and pick up a round. Ruger is usually ok with this,but sometimes a gun needs to be matched to a particular brand of ammo while using a particular can. Esp subsoinc ammo.Best buy a few different brands and spend a day shooting the gun hot and cold to see which consistently cycles your action under both conditions.
    As such there is no real way to utterly silence a semi auto.Unless you put a bolt lock on the gun and cycle the shots manually. Unless you plan on taking out enemy sentries or some E&E from a hostile group chasing you or becoming a hit man.That level of silence isnt really needed on the range or hunting.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

http://www.sportsden.ie/a-tec-22-moderator.html

this fella is neat out..

have one myself much of a muchness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Have an Atec on a ruger 10/22 and with cci subs all you hear is the bolt closing..excellent start w I th rabbits or other vermin furthest away and as long as your not shooting over them you can pop off 6 or 7 before they start wondering why woger keeled over..

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭sharkfox

Try a nylon bolt buffer. They're cheap to buy or you could probably make one up easily

I like the idea of running the moderator wet, I'll definitely give that a try! I will also get a few different boxes of ammo to try.

Before now I never even thought about the bolt buffer reducing sound but now it just clicked (pardon the pun!) and makes sense!

This really is a wonderful community, I didn't think I'd get so many responses so fast, thanks for your advice guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

sharkfox wrote: »
    Try a nylon bolt buffer. They're cheap to buy or you could probably make one up easily

Kidd also do a rubberized bolt buffer which I have in mine and it reduces the noise of the bolt going in/out of battery by a huge amount.

The sak moderator is a familiar good moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Baker.22

The biggest issue is that it's a semi-auto rather than a bolt action. Once the round fires in the bolt action the only direction the sound can go is down the open barrel to your moderator, where the sound is dampened. With the semi once fired the bolt moves back opening the rear of the barrel allowing un-dampened sound out into the atmosphere just at your ear, it will always be louder than a bolt action !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Baker.22 wrote: »
    The biggest issue is that it's a semi-auto rather than a bolt action. Once the round fires in the bolt action the only direction the sound can go is down the open barrel to your moderator, where the sound is dampened. With the semi once fired the bolt moves back opening the rear of the barrel allowing un-dampened sound out into the atmosphere just at your ear, it will always be louder than a bolt action !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

i had a sak,swapped it for an a-tec,to my ears it seemed a bit quieter,im happy with it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 17 NevadaPod

Just to reiterate what's been said - I have a Sak on my CZ452 (bolt-action) - using sub-sonic, or even standard vel ammo, it's very quiet.
    Semi-autos will always have some action noise (and some noise exiting the back) but rarely will it be particularly loud any significant distance to the front.

Best of luck!

You could always pop down to the local motor factors and buy a "silencer" for 20 quid or so and experiment.Your S on your lisscense doesn't limit you to a manufactured device.Nothing to say you cant improvise a silencer to find the best design.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP_BIb_OHZI

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    You could always pop down to the local motor factors and buy a "silencer" for 20 quid..................

For feck sake, are they gold plated in your motor factors?, there is a local place,
    rhymes with Balfords, who'll sell you one for 6-7 Euro...... great for about 12 -15,000 miles but I'm not sure on the round count;)........

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    You could always pop down to the local motor factors and buy a "silencer" for 20 quid or so and experiment.Your S on your lisscense doesn't limit you to a manufactured device.Nothing to say you cant improvise a silencer to find the best design.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP_BIb_OHZI
    That's a really cool idea, to be honest I have never even thought of making one! It's something that is way out of my skill set!:D

For the moment I've to try the silencer "wet" and experiment with different ammo. Unfortunately though it'll be a while before I have the time :mad::eek:

In the good old US of A you can legitimately buy an adapter for an Oil filter Moderator, but guess what?....you still have to pay the tax stamp back to the Government like this.......

Quote:
    'Silencers in the United States are generally legal to posess provided that you go through the proper procesures. They fall under a class of item known as a “National Firearms Act item” or “NFA item,” the same category as machine guns, grenade launchers and other very fun things. As far as the federal government is concerned, as long as you submit some paperwork, go through a background check and pay a $200 tax you’re good to go.'

For feck sake, are they gold plated in your motor factors?, there is a local place,
    rhymes with Balfords, who'll sell you one for 6-7 Euro...... great for about 12 -15,000 miles but I'm not sure on the round count;)........

Sorry dont put ****e filters on my engine.:)

Quick update!

I tried the SAK "wet", a few quick sprays of WD40 into the tube and it seems to make a difference. I used CCI subs and they cycled perfectly, and the "wet" silencer seems to make a slight difference at reducing the noise of the shot. I also tried Fiocchi subs and they were much quieter, but they failed to cycle far too often.

It seems CCI subs and a wet silencer is the solution at the minute!

Advertisement