Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

landlord visit after two weeks

Options
  • 18-02-2017 4:16pm

Is it normal for a Landlord to want to 'drop' by the property after, two weeks of renting?

i think its very soon, but Im not sure if this is considered normal or not

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i've no experience with landlords but i don't see why a property owner wouldn't just wat to check to see if new tenants are doing ok.
    sometimes issues arise in the first couple of weeks and maybe they'd like to iron any out sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Jake1 wrote: »
    Is it normal for a Landlord to want to 'drop' by the property after, two weeks of renting?

i think its very soon, but Im not sure if this is considered normal or not

Some landlords are over controlling and will want to get in every two weeks while others feel that an early inspection nips any issues in the bud. It's either one or the other and I can't tell you which.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you got a snag list ready for the LL?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

As the above posters said he might just want to ensure everything is going ok. After that I would think a visit every six months or so is plenty, anything over would be invasive.

Have you got a snag list ready for the LL?

I do, as it happens, but just one or two things. Condensation being one of them

But, Im hoping this is just a ''Hi, hope you are settling in'', kind of visit :)

• Advertisement

mickmac76 wrote: »
    As the above posters said he might just want to ensure everything is going ok. After that I would think a visit every six months or so is plenty, anything over would be invasive.

Thanks, I just wasnt sure. last landlords, never came by. :)

Some landlords are over controlling and will want to get in every two weeks while others feel that an early inspection nips any issues in the bud. It's either one or the other and I can't tell you which.

Bloody hell, nice as they are, I would hate if they called by every two weeks :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Jake1 wrote: »
    But, Im hoping this is just a ''Hi, hope you are settling in'', kind of visit :)

S/he's given you the required notice and agreed a mutually suitable time? That's a good sign for it being an initial inspection.

You could set the agenda for the future by asking them if they intend to do future inspections quarterly or six-monthly? (Kinda like asking a kid if they want peas or beans for dinner .. limit the choices to acceptable answers!).

FWIW, my professional property managers recommend an inspection at one month and then quarterly: six monthly isn't enough for them to feel on top of the place. It's a little tedious for the tenant - but not that bad because if the place is being looked after the inspection is very quick.

S/he's given you the required notice and agreed a mutually suitable time? That's a good sign for it being an initial inspection.

You could set the agenda for the future by asking them if they intend to do future inspections quarterly or six-monthly? (Kinda like asking a kid if they want peas or beans for dinner .. limit the choices to acceptable answers!).

FWIW, my professional property managers recommend an inspection at one month and then quarterly: six monthly isn't enough for them to feel on top of the place. It's a little tedious for the tenant - but not that bad because if the place is being looked after the inspection is very quick.

Thanks Mrs o' Bumble.
    I dont mind them coming every month. The house is always spotless, so no worries there.
    Garden, the same, mind you its quite muddy now, but thats from previous people. We put down some new grass seeds today in back garden. But you can tell, that already we have been tending to it .

They have also engaged the services of an agent. I think I would just have a problem if we had to deal, with LL AND the Agent, coming every month. I would find that stressful probably, dealing with two sets of visitors .

But hopefully this is just a ''once off, snaglist/howya doing'' type of thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,257 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

This is exactly what I was thinking.

As a tenant 3 months is a bit if a pain in the whole, but if I were a landlord, I'd consider 6 months way too long. So I appreciate it needs to be done. Just gave the place clean and tidy, freshly aired and smelling good when they arrive. That way you can put their mind at ease that you're taking care of their investment and limit the chance of them thinking they need to call by regularly.

Then 3/6 monthly inspections should be accep

• Advertisement

This is exactly what I was thinking.

As a tenant 3 months is a bit if a pain in the whole, but if I were a landlord, I'd consider 6 months way too long. So I appreciate it needs to be done. Just gave the place clean and tidy, freshly aired and smelling good when they arrive. That way you can put their mind at ease that you're taking care of their investment and limit the chance of them thinking they need to call by regularly.

Then 3/6 monthly inspections should be accep

Im always scrubbing El Dudeerino :) Floors get washed at least three times a day maybe. Im a bit OCD, when it comes to cleaning, much to the annoyance of my family.
    So I know they will be happy with the standard in which I keep the place.

I agree, that if I were a LL, I would want to inspect property as often as three months.
    Ive watched a few shows, some called ''Council tenants'' and ''Cant pay, we'll take it away,'' and the condition people leave properties in is heartbreaking for the owners :( You can see the shock when they get their keys back. Pure filth and destruction some of them.
    :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

I think any of those options is invasive. No need for them to come around at all. Maybe once a year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

The RTB expect landlords to inspect every three months. If the landlord does not inspect and the re is a worsening problem which the tenant does not report, the RTB will hold the landlord responsible.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    The RTB expect landlords to inspect every three months. If the landlord does not inspect and the re is a worsening problem which the tenant does not report, the RTB will hold the landlord responsible.

I think I will just flat out ask them when they come by. See what the plan is, for visits in the future. Will it be them or the agents dropping by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

percy212 wrote: »
    I think any of those options is invasive. No need for them to come around at all. Maybe once a year.

I totally disagree. I know someone who had tenants move in one September and they moved out the following May. When they moved out, the landlord discovered every wall that was facing the exterior was completely covered in mould. Im talking from floor to ceiling was black. The tenants moved the dryer in the hall and the dryer was pumping out warm damp air into the house for over 9 months. This was worsened by the fact they rarely had the heating on.

That could have been nipped in the bud at a quarterly inspection. IMO the only reason why tenants dont like their landlord calling around is the fact they have to clean the place for once

newacc2015 wrote: »
    I totally disagree. I know someone who had tenants move in one September and they moved out the following May. When they moved out, the landlord discovered every wall that was facing the exterior was completely covered in mould. Im talking from floor to ceiling was black. The tenants moved the dryer in the hall and the dryer was pumping out warm damp air into the house for over 9 months. This was worsened by the fact they rarely had the heating on.

That could have been nipped in the bud at a quarterly inspection. IMO the only reason why tenants dont like their landlord calling around is the fact they have to clean the place for once

I dont have a problem with the LL calling. I was just surprised. it was so soon after moving in. That is all.
    When we got the email request from them, we offered for them to come by immediately, but they declined. Said another day would suit them better. Having to clean up immediately, wasnt a problem for us, as we keep the house clean, for ourselves to live in, not just to please LL.

Disgraceful how your friends property was left. Spoils it for everyone, that nasty behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,257 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Jake1 wrote:
    Im always scrubbing El Dudeerino Floors get washed at least three times a day maybe. Im a bit OCD, when it comes to cleaning, much to the annoyance of my family. So I know they will be happy with the standard in which I keep the place.

You sound like you'll have the cleaning covered! Thre are 2 likely possibilities. They either want to get a feel for the person living in their house so they can put their mind at ease that you'll take care if it for them, or they're overbearing and interfering.

As long as you aim to satisfy the first one by being clean and pleasent, then you can push back any unnecessary interference. They probably just want to shake hands and say hello.

I had something similar happen. We moved in through a letting agent and a few months months later the landlord showed up out of the blue. His mother lived in the area so he called by when he was visiting her. We chatted for a coupe of minutes. He didn't arrange the visit so I didn't feel obliged to invite him in and he didn't ask. We did 5 minutes small talk, lots of smiles and pleasentness. He simply wanted to shake hands and look us in the eye. Never saw him again.

Houses are a serious investment. As someone who doesn't have a house yet, I can understand how difficult it would be to have someone live in your house without even knowing anything about them.

Meet with them but don't feel obliged to make a habit of it.

You sound like you'll have the cleaning covered! Thre are 2 likely possibilities. They either want to get a feel for the person living in their house so they can put their mind at ease that you'll take care if it for them, or they're overbearing and interfering.

As long as you aim to satisfy the first one by being clean and pleasent, then you can push back any unnecessary interference. They probably just want to shake hands and say hello.

I had something similar happen. We moved in through a letting agent and a few months months later the landlord showed up out of the blue. His mother lived in the area so he called by when he was visiting her. We chatted for a coupe of minutes. He didn't arrange the visit so I didn't feel obliged to invite him in and he didn't ask. We did 5 minutes small talk, lots of smiles and pleasentness. He simply wanted to shake hands and look us in the eye. Never saw him again.

Houses are a serious investment. As someone who doesn't have a house yet, I can understand how difficult it would be to have someone live in your house without even knowing anything about them.

Meet with them but don't feel obliged to make a habit of it.

Thanks El Duderino.
    We have met them before and they really are lovely people. I cant really see them as the bothersome nosey overbearing type ( yet , anyway...):p

I do understand, that they maybe just want to have a quick look-see :) Id probably be curious myself, in their shoes.
    Id say, it is just the same as the situation you mentioned with your Landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I went in after two weeks, used exactly the terminology Mrs O'B used, please have a snag list ready. How are you getting on etc. Perfectly ready to allow the tenant out of the lease if they'd decided the area wasn't for them or whatever. (Not that I can stop them in the first 6 months as I don't engage in this fixed term ridiculousness).

I don't have an inspection schedule, I pop in for a cuppa if I'm asked to for what ever reason, took an old telly round just before Xmas as it was going spare and I noticed they never put one in, asked a week in advance if it was okay to come over and id they want it.

Why people think there is some agenda other than 'you're giving me a huge pile of cash* each month perhaps I want to make sure you're getting some sort of service for it' is beyond me. And before everyone just assumes I'm strange, I absolutely am, but I'm not unusual among landlords, the majority of which just want the tenants to be happy and the rent to be paid.

*Paid by bank transfer and declared for tax, in case you were wondering.

Yeah I had a snag list when I moved into my current rental. I made it mostly for my own protection for move out. It was COMPLETELY ignored, as was everything else I reported since then, apart from things which would be considered emergencies such as the washing machine being out of order.

As for a landlord calling every quarter. While it's overbearing, I suppose with 48 hours notice so that I don't have to be there making tea and talking ****e, I could live with it. I would prefer to deal with an agent or mgmt company when it comes to property. I don't want to hear about my landlord's life etc.

Tenants seem to be treated much like dogs in Ireland = "sure they don't know how to keep a house", "they need watching", etc etc. It's very ****ing annoying and indicative of the arseways rental system we have in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Yeah I had a snag list when I moved into my current rental. I made it mostly for my own protection for move out. It was COMPLETELY ignored, as was everything else I reported since then, apart from things which would be considered emergencies such as the washing machine being out of order.

As for a landlord calling every quarter. While it's overbearing, I suppose with 48 hours notice so that I don't have to be there making tea and talking ****e, I could live with it. I would prefer to deal with an agent or mgmt company when it comes to property. I don't want to hear about my landlord's life etc.

Tenants seem to be treated much like dogs in Ireland = "sure they don't know how to keep a house", "they need watching", etc etc. It's very ****ing annoying and indicative of the arseways rental system we have in Ireland.

If you read over that you're completely right that there is a lack of respect for tenants in many cases, but do you not see the flip side illustrated by your very own post?

You've absolutely no reason to want to get to know your LL, but had you gone direct you would have been able to judge, rightly or wrongly, how you thought things were going to play out.

I don't know what you are talking about. Judge what? Did you get me mixed up with the OP?

I haven't illustrated anything about myself. I am a model tenant and my rental looks like a show house which is a great deal cleaner than when I moved in.
    If you read over that you're completely right that there is a lack of respect for tenants in many cases, but do you not see the flip side illustrated by your very own post?

You've absolutely no reason to want to get to know your LL, but had you gone direct you would have been able to judge, rightly or wrongly, how you thought things were going to play out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I have tenants whom I visit once a year but it wasn't like that from day one as I didn't know them from Adam. Initially it makes lot of sense to go 2 weeks, 1 month, quarterly, half yearly and then annually, but I don't blame landlords for not going beyond every 6 months. Less than that is a bit much for established tenants IMO but if a landlord has had a property destroyed they may feel very, and understandably different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

i've no experience with landlords but i don't see why a property owner wouldn't just wat to check to see if new tenants are doing ok.
    sometimes issues arise in the first couple of weeks and maybe they'd like to iron any out sooner rather than later.

Exactly this. Not necessarily the OP, but the law office I work in gets calls from tenants looking for compensation on these grounds all the time. I'm nearly always put on the case because its just mundane :pac:

Elemonator wrote: »
    Exactly this. Not necessarily the OP, but the law office I work in gets calls from tenants looking for compensation on these grounds all the time. I'm nearly always put on the case because its just mundane :pac:

just to clarify, definetely, NOT the Op :)
    I was ONLY asking was it normal. I was in no way even thinking about compensation or anything :) last LL never came by, so I was curious. That is all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

murphaph wrote: »
    I have tenants whom I visit once a year but it wasn't like that from day one as I didn't know them from Adam. Initially it makes lot of sense to go 2 weeks, 1 month, quarterly, half yearly and then annually, but I don't blame landlords for not going beyond every 6 months. Less than that is a bit much for established tenants IMO but if a landlord has had a property destroyed they may feel very, and understandably different.

If you leave it annually and the tenants wreck the place the TRB will favour the tenants as you haven't kept an eye on the property. They consider an inspection every quarter or every 2 months to be what is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

I doubt your LL will be around every two weeks, OP, probably just sussing you out.

Very interesting to know that as a tenant with a landlord who ignores all notices of issues, but loves to deduct from deposits.
    If you leave it annually and the tenants wreck the place the TRB will favour the tenants as you haven't kept an eye on the property. They consider an inspection every quarter or every 2 months to be what is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

Speaking of landlord inspections, my husband and I moved into our apartment in May 2014. Our landlord has never carried out an inspection. We saw him the day we moved in, that's it. And he lives in the same city as us. Whilst I'd find monthly ones way too regular, I find this to be the other extreme. Like, we could have wrecked the gaff for all he knows. We haven't of course, but is he not curious to check what state his property is in?

• Advertisement

Are there really that many tenants who wreck a property. Genuine question. I find it hard to believe that long term tenants do not treat a rented house as a home.

Advertisement