Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

landlord visit after two weeks

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Jake1 wrote: »
    just to clarify, definetely, NOT the Op :)
    I was ONLY asking was it normal. I was in no way even thinking about compensation or anything :) last LL never came by, so I was curious. That is all

Sorry if my tone sounds like I am accusing you of so! I was speaking in a general sense. I'm talking about really non issue stuff, last week I had a case from a tenant who wanted compensation because there was a scratch in the ceiling. Came in with all these mostly American laws and only the "landlord has to maintain the property" one was correct. Had to explain to him it wasn't an issue and he was liable for any potential repair as he caused it.

And with reference to your own case OP, I think its normal. All my relatives are landlords and they probably would pop by to see if you are settling in alright, any teething issues, getting to know the area etc. Those types of issues are better off resolved early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If you leave it annually and the tenants wreck the place the TRB will favour the tenants as you haven't kept an eye on the property. They consider an inspection every quarter or every 2 months to be what is required.
    If the tenants wreck the place you'll be chasing shadows going after them for the damages anyway. Been there done that (not damages but over holding in commercial property).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

percy212 wrote: »
    Are there really that many tenants who wreck a property. Genuine question. I find it hard to believe that long term tenants do not treat a rented house as a home.

The majority would be grand. Anyone in their right mind would keep an eye on an asset worth that much money though.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Mine comes every Friday evening or Saturday morning picking up the rent drinking a cuppa or a beer with us talking about things whats going on in the area and leaving the property within an hour
    Have no problems with him have nothing to hide, so he`s welcome

__Alex__ wrote: »
    Speaking of landlord inspections, my husband and I moved into our apartment in May 2014. Our landlord has never carried out an inspection. We saw him the day we moved in, that's it. And he lives in the same city as us. Whilst I'd find monthly ones way too regular, I find this to be the other extreme. Like, we could have wrecked the gaff for all he knows. We haven't of course, but is he not curious to check what state his property is in?

I moved into a house about 5 years ago and we signed the lease in the presence of the landlord and he went to photocopy it. Never saw him again.

We moved out 9 months later and my sister moved in. Shes still there, but she has seen him a few times, like the time the ceiling in the spare room caved in.

I hate getting inspections, but I acknowledge that every six months or even every four is necessary to build up trust. Our latest inspection(we are here 4 years) was a case of the agent having a quick look around and witnessing our signatures as we renewed our lease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 aeolian sky

percy212 wrote: »
    I think any of those options is invasive. No need for them to come around at all. Maybe once a year.

You wouldn't if you were a landlord. I thought I had good tenants and didn't inspect for a year. They had hurriedly moved out a few days before I called. The apartment that was in pristine condition was now a squat. Flat screen TV smashed bed soiled plumbing broken dishwasher broken sofa ripped microwave and kettle gone and locks broken. Topped off with rotting food in the cupboards and a cleaning bill that ran into many hundreds of euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

It's not a question of having anything to hide. Why would you have anything to hide. It's a question of privacy and not being hassled on Friday by some long winded blow hard looking for tea and a chat. Rent as cash I presume in your case. Yeah, I know the type.
    Mine comes every Friday evening or Saturday morning picking up the rent drinking a cuppa or a beer with us talking about things whats going on in the area and leaving the property within an hour
    Have no problems with him have nothing to hide, so he`s welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Bad luck there David. Landlords must be very lucky to get me. I even get a cleaning service in before I leave a place.
    You wouldn't if you were a landlord. I thought I had good tenants and didn't inspect for a year. They had hurriedly moved out a few days before I called. The apartment that was in pristine condition was now a squat. Flat screen TV smashed bed soiled plumbing broken dishwasher broken sofa ripped microwave and kettle gone and locks broken. Topped off with rotting food in the cupboards and a cleaning bill that ran into many hundreds of euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I had an issue with tenants that have just moved in 3 months, I had advised them open windows frequently to air the house and to prevent mould, showed them how to clean the tumble dryer filters etc. Did the basic introduction into the house.
    I left them alone for 3 months and they have always been obliging that I could come in whenever I wanted, just drop them a text and that I had a key, so feel free, it was after all my house. I would prefer them being there so they can let me know if they have any problems etc.
    Anyway-the place was wrecked with mould, coal in the utility room, coal dust all over it, grease all over the kitchen cupboards etc.
    I got cross, and told them how I felt about the mould and the coal and they had a week to turn it around, as I didn't want to be getting new tenants.

I rang today, to say I was sorry for getting so cross and that I was going to install vents in all the windows.

They said not to worry about it, they had gotten a mould/mildew remover from the hardware store and explained to the guy what the problem was, he ran them through the health issues of a damp house and that it was most likely from never using the extractor fan or opening windows added to the problem of drying clothes indoors on the clothes horse.
    The tenant proceeded to tell me that back in January he was off work for the first time for 2 weeks due to a chest infection and it was probably from drying the clothes indoors. He said they left the windows opened for one whole day and cleaned all the mould. the house is already fresher and they are now leaving the utility room and hall windows latched ajar at all times and the bathroom and bedroom windows ajar when at work.

Not only that, they apologised for the state of the kitchen, even though I told them, I'd love if it was kept clean, but really it's none of my business. They have the cupboards cleaned and are doing the coal in the utility room etc Saturday and said I can stop in when ever I want next week.

Had I taken the advice of some people, I would probably have had a very bad relationship with the tenants and most definitely a wrecked house at the end of their tenure.

I have tenants in another property that I initially visited every 3 months for a year, then it was every year-just to check latches/hinges/safety etc.

I do think it's best for everyone to start off on the right foot and these tenants appreciated what I told them and had no idea what was the cause of the issues as they had lived in apartments and with their parents only , prior to this.

Two Irish guys in their mid '40's and at the end of the call were very understanding saying , look, at the end of the day, it's your house, and they know me and know I worked hard for it.

It's called mutual respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭utmbuilder

you handled it well ballyharpat, and it worked out well. good job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

utmbuilder wrote: »
    you handled it well ballyharpat, and it worked out well. good job

Thanks-I had a sleepless night, and I can be hotheaded, so I took my time in reacting, but I think with the way things are, the last thing one wants to do is have a bad relationship with tenants-there are no winners, generally they want a place to live peacefully and be comfortable in. A landlord wants his place to be respected and not have unnecessary overheads and get his rent paid on time with as few headaches as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Ballyharpat you had your own thread about your issues, please don't hijack this one

Hi everyone

I just thought I would update you all on what happened.

The LL's called ( its a family ) .

As I mentioned before they are very nice people.

As some of YOU all mentioned, perhaps they just wanted to have a quick check around.

This is exactly all that they wanted. When they came, there were utterly respesctful, waiting at door to be invited in, asking could they go up stairs etc.
    The respect they showed was lovely.

They almost acted like it was my home. (as opposed to it being their investment)

I had the place shining, and their eyes lit up practically when they came in. We had all our own belongings out at this point, ornanments, pics etc, so it looks more like a home now, than an almost empty house.

They thanked us for having the place looking so nice and clean and said if we need anything, just to let them or the agent know.

We in turn told them, that we fully intended to keep the house as if it was our own, and would take very good care of it for them. They were very happy

So it was a very successful visit, and I was delighted that they called.

Thank you all for your advice to me . :)

Advertisement