Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed ID, please!

Options
  • 18-02-2017 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭

Lots of this in the garden right now, bad news, I'm sure.
    Is it some kind of bindweed?
    How best to get rid of it, it seems to be under everything and almost growing up through the plants.
    I don't want to use Roundup or similar, so do I have to pull out each bit individually??
    2by32q.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

Rancid wrote: »
    Lots of this in the garden right now, bad news, I'm sure.
    Is it some kind of bindweed?
    How best to get rid of it, it seems to be under everything and almost growing up through the plants.
    I don't want to use Roundup or similar, so do I have to pull out each bit individually??
    2by32q.jpg

It looks like Lesser Celandine. It has beautiful yellow buttercup-like flowers. I love them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Hotei wrote: »
    It looks like Lesser Celandine. It has beautiful yellow buttercup-like flowers. I love them!
    Excellent!
    When they sprouted up all over the place I assumed the worst. Mine haven't flowered yet, looking forward to that.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not excellent at all, you already have the worst I'm afraid. Yes they have a pretty flower, but they grow very deep, and they will get very dense. You will probably have to use something like Roundup when the plants are in full new growth. Digging them is very hard work and it is almost impossible to get rid of all the little bulb-type roots (not sure what the 'proper' name is!) you will probably spread them and make the situation worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

looksee wrote: »
    Not excellent at all, you already have the worst I'm afraid. Yes they have a pretty flower, but they grow very deep, and they will get very dense. You will probably have to use something like Roundup when the plants are in full new growth. Digging them is very hard work and it is almost impossible to get rid of all the little bulb-type roots (not sure what the 'proper' name is!) you will probably spread them and make the situation worse.
    Only saw your reply now, not sure how I missed it.

Ok. To be honest... the sheer number visible and the increase since last year had me thinking the worst right from the start.
    I've noticed that in trying to pull out some of them, roots are tearing off and remaining in the soil. Bad news, I know. :(
    Very reluctant to use Roundup, but will have to resort to it if I make no progress pulling them out almost individually.
    Last year was the first time I saw them in the garden around a little patch of primroses. Should have hand-picked them right then!!

Thanks for the info, at least I know where I stand now. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Hotei wrote: »

I think they are a nice wildflower in the garden as well. They flower before most other plants in the garden get going and then seem to finish their growth season and stay dormant until the following spring. I have found some of the root tubers when digging out other weeds but I have tried to replant them and while they are looking nice now in places I put them, there is no sign of them taking over the garden.

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    weed.jpg

Bittercress.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

on the subject of weeds can anyone ID this...

weed.jpg

its at the bottom of my drive, how do i get rid of?

fryup wrote: »
    on the subject of weeds can anyone ID this..

I did I.D. it in the previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

and whats the best way of getting rid of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

This is the first weed I pick out when I walk around the garden. They form pods of new seeds within weeks of starting to grow, If you leave the pods dry out they will explode when disturbed, spreading the seeds as they do. They are generally easy enough to pull out of the ground once you get a good grip of the full plant. One years seeding is seven years weeding as the saying goes, so don't let them in the ground very long if you can avoid it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement