Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you hate cars?

• 18-02-2017 6:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭

I think most of the posters here have cars, so do you hate it when you have to drive? 90% of my travelling is done by a bike but I dread the times when I have to take the car. When sitting in a car behind for example 5 cars you have to wait for half of them to drop their phones and half of them to wake up from their slumber and see that the light is actually green and that they need to go at their speed of turtle. This is one of the main reasons I have moved to motorbikes as I don't have to put up with any of that nonsense and I can just fly past them at FTL speed and leave them to their misery. Driving actually causes me stress which gets very close to road rage so I just avoid it as much as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Johnboner wrote: »
    I think most of the posters here have cars, so do you hate it when you have to drive? 90% of my travelling is done by a bike but I dread the times when I have to take the car. When sitting in a car behind for example 5 cars you have to wait for half of them to drop their phones and half of them to wake up from their slumber and see that the light is actually green and that they need to go at their speed of turtle. This is one of the main reasons I have moved to motorbikes as I don't have to put up with any of that nonsense and I can just fly past them at FTL speed and leave them to their misery. Driving actually causes me stress which gets very close to road rage so I just avoid it as much as possible.

Just be careful as those morons you speak of don't see you and do be too busy on their phones or other devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Well you did the right thing. It helps when you enjoy your mode of transport. Have you a nice bike, or just something for commuting? And do you have a fancy car, or a family type car?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

Just be careful as those morons you speak of don't see you and do be too busy on their phones or other devices.

Oh I experience it almost every day I ride, the only way to survive is predict them and avoid them yourself otherwise they will run you over. Have cars turning in front of me almost daily and I don't even wear all black.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

pablo128 wrote: »
    Well you did the right thing. It helps when you enjoy your mode of transport. Have you a nice bike, or just something for commuting? And do you have a fancy car, or a family type car?

I have a nice bike in my opinion yes not my dream bike, just my first sports bike and I hope to change it in 1 or 2 years for something more powerful. I have an ok car as well, 04 bmw m sport but I rarely use it and looking to sell it as driving a car makes me depressed. Moving to motorcycling was one of the best decisions I have made and you would have to put a gun to my head to force me to use a car for commuting.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I don't hate cars. I love cars. I also love bikes - but I love them in different ways for different things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,128 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I used to love a proper British sports car. They are functionally better than motorbikes in one important way: provided that the road/track is open and clear you can play around safely at the limit of grip on four contact patches with very little talent.

Now though, ordinary cars are so fast that even the moderately fast ones can't be wrung out legally for more than a couple of seconds. Totally pointless.

Now I judge a car on the quality of soundproofing, how many USB ports it has, or it's ability to swallow junk.

I'd still really like a Morgan three wheeler, an Ariel Nomad or another Caterham. Or a TVR Griffith - there's a car that brings the feeling of imminent death to even the most casual drive to the shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Im a GTR man myself,have had R32 and R33 GTRs,my R32 had 650bhp.
    Savage machine,but I killed the gearbox and uprated that to an OS Giken close ratio sequential box,that cost me 7k euro alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 scarebus03

Almost everyday I take the bike to work, if I have to take the car I'm generally like a demon for the day. My colleagues know when I've driven in! The bike always puts me in a good mood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I love 3 wheeled vans a la Del Trotters Mobile warehouse, does that count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,128 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Im a GTR man myself,have had R32 and R33 GTRs,my R32 had 650bhp.
    Savage machine,but I killed the gearbox and uprated that to an OS Giken close ratio sequential box,that cost me 7k euro alone.
    Do you have a turbocharged motorbike? If not, why not? :pac:

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Do you have a turbocharged motorbike? If not, why not? :pac:

I was on an R1 turbo the other day over in Surrey,some machine to go,wheelie central.GT30R turbo on her and she was a weapon and a half,wheelies everywhere once shes on boost.:D:D:D

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I love 3 wheeled vans a la Trotter Mobile does that count?

:pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've three modes of transport, motorbike, two bicycles and a car.

The bicycles are worth more than the car.

Actually its a Citroen C3, so its hardly a car lol. To answer the question, I don't hate cars. I'm totally indifferent to them. But its easier to get a weeks shopping into the boot of my car than cycle it home or ride it home on the Vstrom.

Of the three the choice of which I prefer most is a difficult one, I'm 50/50 on the motorbike or bicycle.. I absolutely love cycling and biking for different reasons. The car is just a workhorse for taking me shopping and going to the gym/Judo training.

I've three modes of transport, motorbike, two bicycles and a car.

The bicycles are worth more than the car.

Actually its a Citroen C3, so its hardly a car lol. To answer the question, I don't hate cars. I'm totally indifferent to them. But its easier to get a weeks shopping into the boot of my car than cycle it home or ride it home on the Vstrom.

Of the three the choice of which I prefer most is a difficult one, I'm 50/50 on the motorbike or bicycle.. I absolutely love cycling and biking for different reasons. The car is just a workhorse for taking me shopping and going to the gym/Judo training.

Tis a grand bike too,would have done swapsies with you that day out in Howth.;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Tis a grand bike too,would have done swapsies with you that day out in Howth.;):D

But would you wear the lyrica budgie smugglers?. . :p

But would you wear the lyrica budgie smugglers?. . :p

Ive worn worse before,for charity.:pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

The car is just a workhorse for taking me shopping and going to the gym/Judo training.

Ahhh I bet you taught differently about cars when you were a young fella dating.....oooh' young man!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Cars are great. At the moment it's ****ty weather. Windy, raining, cold and dark. Would rather hop into the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Cienciano wrote: »
    Cars are great. At the moment it's ****ty weather. Windy, raining, cold and dark. Would rather hop into the car.

Yes, I also would rather hop into the car...were my car not at the mechanics getting a new water pump fitted.

It would also help had I not made the discovery (the hard way) the other day that my visor is terrible when it comes to water running off it. So riding in this weather isn't ideal.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I like anything on wheels, the older the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Leave the bike at home today lads....Doris is blowing..:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

macplaxton wrote: »
    I like anything on wheels, the older the better.

Pretty much this, anything with a motor fascinates me tbh.

I love, bikes, cars, jeeps, boats, planes.....

I'm not alone on this either, during a 'chat' with a fellow rider over Christmas the two of us came to an agreement; if either one of us won the lotto (after the usual stuff) we'd buy a tracked excavator and a field to dig up - for the craic.

I'd easily hit 40k miles per year in the car with work (on road 4 days per week) and family, for me bikes are more fun that anything else, I get as much enjoyment from stripping them down and fettling as I do from riding them - perverse but true.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Starting a new job next week with a 60km commute which would not be doable during the winter here on a bike so bought a nice easy to drive comfortable car. It's nice and even kinda fun in sport mode but nothing can make me smile like my bike. Here's hoping that they will have showers and/or a locker room at the new job so I can bike in most of the time before changing into the suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I like riding the bike or driving the car...just being on the road make me happy...wet day..nice warm car with music playing..nice day..open road on the bike...

Speaking of cars,planes,trains and boats.......:pac:

20160815_170318-1_zps0utkglqy.jpg

20160816_125430_zps5jqez296.jpg

20160816_152445_zpsn0dhphm6.jpg

20160816_122334_zpsasuzbjmr.jpg

20160805_133111_zpstppwro3b.jpg

20160807_144523-1_zpsynbz8lmy.jpg

0a556db9-7041-4467-836b-4fa60a15027e_zps656zm5ml.jpg

20160714_165328_zpsvqmcd5oo.jpg

20160523_152052_zpslazoxmea.jpg

20160601_165805_zpsuvysskbd.jpg

d3159b4a-f2ed-4d12-860c-9d0c21b79a6f_zpsle5cvh2m.jpg

20160106_143808_zpsinjwyv9g.jpg

Dont hate cars..why would you, stoopid question...BUT i do hate fat basterd bike-hater Jeremy Clarkson....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

I like older cars especially anything American from the 40's to the late 70's and that but big tax here means that a 1.6+ is considered a "big car."

Modern cars just seem to have no soul or quirkyness that you'd have found years ago, the crash testing has led to everything having to meet regulations and it means that they all look the same.

If I seen the top five selling sedans debadged and painted the same colour I'd have no idea which was which.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

My last car was a classic - it broke - a lot - including my heart.

Zascar wrote: »
    My last car was a classic - it broke - a lot - including my heart.

Its called "character"......:P

New cars are great, anti-this,anti-that abc,xyz...but they still depend on gobshltes to drive them....

• Advertisement
Advertisement