Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not very good B.Ed degree- any hope of ever getting a job?

Options
  • 18-02-2017 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Hi im a male recently qualified primary school teacher but my degree is not very good. I only got C's on all the school placements throughout the course. My heart wasnt really in it at the start and I was between two minds what I wanted to do in life and I never put a huge effort in as I was kind of lost career wise. But now I feel teaching is for me but I dont have the degree to back it up and I do regret now no putting the effort in but a was kind of lost career wise. Do I ever have a hope of actually getting a job now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Depends on subjects and choice. I wouldn't day there's no hope and you should apply for jobs but I will be honest with you in that you could loose out on shortlisting. You need to ensure in interviews that you know your stuff and don't come across as someone only capable of scraping a pass

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

With primary you are up against others with the same qualification but potentially higher grades. You would need to be stronger in another area such as voluntary work or what you can offer in terms of extracurricular activities. Personally I don't think that it is easier for male teachers to get jobs than female teachers, all other things being equal. Others may disagree but I think you need more strings to your bow. There is still time before applications open in June so see if you can build on an existing strength so you can sell it as something you could use to add to the life of the school.
    Eta that subbing is a great way to get the foot in the door and once you demonstrate good classroom practices, grades become less important.

Advertisement