Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain skills course in West of Ireland

Options
  • 18-02-2017 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi

Does anyone know someone doing these?

I googled but some sites seem out of date.

I would want the courses to be accredited and include map reading, compass work etc. so one would be confident in the hills for walking etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

http://www.outdoorsireland.com/

They are based in Clare I think still and do courses over West. I did MS1 and MS2 with them and they were great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Did you try Delphi adventure training in Westport and/or Orienteering Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's a full list of Mountaineering Ireland accredited providers on this page ...

http://mountaineering.ie/TrainingAndSafety/ClubTrainingAndMountainSkills/MountainSkillsTraining/default.aspx

Just click on the big green Providers button to download a PDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anyone in here do the MS1 / MS2? Was thinking about doing them myself. Any good? Did you learn stuff you wouldn't have picked up otherwise?

Main reason I'm asking is that I once bought a book "Roadcraft", an advanced driving skills manual supposedly used for the police forces in the UK. The book came highly recommended. I suppose it was good, but there wasn't a single thing in the book that was new / useful to me, that I hadn't picked up myself over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I did MS1 and MS2 and thought they were good. I read every book prior and thought I knew it all but I did pick up some stuff, mainly practical. Some stuff you have to do yourself. Someone who hiked for 20 years with people with formal training may only pick up on one or 2 things, so it is based on your on personal experience whether you will get something out of it. Worst case scenario you don't learn anything that you think it is worth while, you still get to spend 2 days on the hills with like minded people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

unkel wrote:
    Anyone in here do the MS1 / MS2? Was thinking about doing them myself. Any good? Did you learn stuff you wouldn't have picked up otherwise?

I've been lucky enough to do ms1 and ms2 twice with different providers. I'm a Mountain leader trainee. I don't know your experience but the courses teach you how to navigate properly using a map and compass, grid references etc and be self sufficient in Irish mountains.
    Taking and using bearings, pacing, timing ,using Naismith rule, mountain features, night navigation, correct clothing and equipment, steep ground work scrambling and walking on loose scree.

I'd definitely say the courses are worth it.
    As I said I don't know your experience but for me when I go hiking I like to navigate to different features like streams, saddles, spurs and re-entrants in any weather and be able to see these features on my map.
    You would also learn a bit about Irish mountain plants.
    If you go onto the mountaineering Ireland website posted above, and click providers. Then look at the symbols and see which courses they provide. Ms
    The best people running these courses in the country are probably the likes of Iain miller, Bren Whelan, Sinead Pollock, all top level Qualifications.
    I can personally recommend Aodnatt Carroll and Terrence Glancy too.

This company are based in Connemara.

They currently have a list of training days pinned to the top of their FB page.

Advertisement