Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

idea

Options
  • 18-02-2017 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

i have an empty 18.9L ballygowen water bottle. i would like to plant something in it but been new to gardening im not sure what to plant in it.

just wondering has anyone ever used one before?

im thinking of cutting the top off and planting a tree in it but cant think of a species. also am i better off buying a small tree and repotting it in to the bottle.

do i need to do anything else to the bottle?

any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

TB26

oh and i assume it would have to be left out side?(might be a silly question)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

I have used old containers for starting plants in before, but don't think it is a great long term idea for the garden. They don't look very nice and even the cheapest pots look better. Cutting drainage holes to stop the plant in the container drowning in heavy rain is also a bit awkward and I found green algae growing on the recycled containers make them look even more unsightly over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

im going to try grow onions in it indoors. could you recommend what soil i should use?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Onions are not indoor plants, they are unlikely to do well - or even grow - indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

looksee wrote: »
    Onions are not indoor plants, they are unlikely to do well - or even grow - indoors.

my apologies im very new to gardening/growing. i read online that they could be grown indoors and the packet of seeds says they can be grown indoors.

i will put them outdoors is normal compost ok to use?

Advertisement