Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lion King Remake (Jon Favreau)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Loved the original which was a massive fave in our house when the kids were young.

Went to see this in 4DX in Parnell St. along with my daughter.

We absolutely looooved it! What an experience!!!

I was on the fence about this but after reading the last three pages... I think I can safely give it a miss

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

What I liked:

- Nala/Sarabi more screentime and bigger roles
    - Timon and Pumbaa
    - Hyenas much bigger threat and scarier
    - CGI in general was amazing

What I didn't like:

- Adult Simba/Nala butchered Can You Feel The Love Tonight
    - Actors sound bored half the time
    - The blank facial expressions,
    - The humour/jokes didn't hit as well as the first one
    - Scar was bleh

It's a solid remake, I have no intention of wanting to see it again quick.

The jungle book remake was fantastic. I doubt however they could change much storywise and Lion King is a fairly simple story so I don't knock them for that, it's just they have literally copied and pasted lines from the original without the emotion.

Like Scar saying...I'm surprised to see you...alive....

It was funny as you see the hyenas gulping and panicking and Jeremy Irons delivers it perfectly but in this you just see blank stares!

I was on the fence about this but after reading the last three pages... I think I can safely give it a miss

Gf got her way :P

I really didn't like it at all. The original never resonated with me when I was child (I know, I have no soul etc) and this one was identical but worse. It was a bit of fun trying to guess the voice actors. Eric Andre was the most obscure one I could get. I had no idea who Timon was. Oh well. Next time I get to pick the film I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Has a score of 7.1 on imdb, compared with 8.5 for the original.

Interesting because a lot of people I speak to think this far surpasses the animated version, to the point where the animated version is no longer watchable, the money its making I guess backs that up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Interesting because a lot of people I speak to think this far surpasses the animated version, to the point where the animated version is no longer watchable, the money its making I guess backs that up.

Is visual impairment a common trait amongst your friends and family? :D

Haven't heard anyone say that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I finally got around to bringing the little fella to this.

It's hard to call really. The CGI to be fair was amazing and the voice acting in parts was better. I think if they could bring James Earl Jones back why not others?

Scar for example was probably the most frustrating in that I found that some lines he delivered were actually much better better than the original like the conversation between him and Mufassa probably the bigger lines like "long live the king" weren't even close. Really Jeremy Irons should have been brought back too in my opinion.

My 7 year old absolutely loved it. I enjoyed it and it was nice to maybe see the film for the first time through his eyes as it is hard to get him to watch the "old" disney films.

Not a slam dunk but I give it a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Watched this with my two kids. 5yr old fell sleep and 10yr old laughed at the fart jokes, but was otherwise only mildly amused.

For myself, I spent most of the time marvelling at the imagery. Stunning in places. (I heard an interview with Jon Favreau where he said there is a shot in the film that is actually real, but he didn't elaborate. I couldn't spot it). Overall I thought it was okay and not as good as the animated version. In particular, I thought the antelope stampede was much tamer and lacked any punch.

The mouth movement of the characters reminded me of the original Planet of the Apes. Like as if the animators were restricting the movements to those of the real animals. This really impacted their characterisation for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Thought it was grand (but not a patch on the original).

I can forgive the lack of emoting, the giving Beyonce creative freedom to create a new and meh song and to pay her per note hit, the usage of voices because they're names even though they're worse at singing - John Oliver and Seth Rogan, the new Be Prepared, and some other bits and pieces......but they left out Lovely Bunch of Coconuts! Unforgivable!

🤪

• Advertisement

Ha, k, so I watched the original and the coconut song was stuck in my head for days. Mad that you just posted this clip now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Today in ‘huh?’ film news: https://deadline.com/2020/09/the-lion-king-sequel-barry-jenkins-moonlight-director-disney-1234586787/

Barry Jenkins (of Moonlight and If Beale Street Could Talk indie cred) making a Lion King sequel.

I mean, 2020 has been a weird as **** year, so this fits.

Also inevitable that Disney was going to start sequelising these remakes once they ran out of material.

I’m shocked. SHOCKED. No, wait. 1.65billion. Okay, That makes sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

With the giant pay-cheque is there a promise to Jenkins to bankroll any personal projects that were gestating in preproduction. Disney control so much of Hollywood now you could imagine they can promise (and threaten) a lot now .

It might just work, Jenkins has a real chance to make something from this. He’ll have to overcome that emotionless, photorealism cgi from Favreaus film, but if he has free rein on the script and they can do something with the visuals, they may be able to pull off something special.

Lion king is a huge platform, and if they allow Jenkins enough freedom, Disney could be looking at another Black Panther scenario on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So photo realistic Simba's Pride?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

pixelburp wrote: »
    With the giant pay-cheque is there a promise to Jenkins to bankroll any personal projects that were gestating in preproduction. Disney control so much of Hollywood now you could imagine they can promise (and threaten) a lot now .

Why would they need to? Any 'personal project' is potentially risky and Disney is as risk-free as they come. I imagine they wanted Jenkins for the kudos and Jenkins wanted the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I much preferred the remake ,in fact,one of my favourite all time movies,and I loved the original too.

Advertisement