Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good decent reliable car

• 18-02-2017 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi guys, hope someone can help,, just looking at cars to buy and cant decide what to go for just looking for some advice..

im looking at desiel over 2008 and a 5 door, cheap on fuel, reliable,and solid

something like audi a4 and skoda octavia..

have 5,000 to 7,000 to spend.. i can get a 2008 octavia for under 5000 and an audi for 6500 now but is it worth the money to go for audi or am i better off with skoda or vw passat/golf

cant decide which is best..
    any help is appreciated ..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Octavia or superb,ford Mondeo, Hyundai, kia,

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭DonkeyDick1992

Octavia or superb,ford Mondeo, Hyundai, kia,

i heard that fords 1.6 desiel engines are crap, but the 1.8s are fairly decet but nothing compared to german,, so im told

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I wouldn't have much optimism in a 2008 onwards Audi A4 costing €6500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

To be honest OP, you have not indicated your annual milage, however if it were I, taking a chance on getting a reliable car for that sum of money I would be looking at a petrol car. You will in my honest opinion inherit unknown knowns in a diesel car that age that you do not know the history of.

Much safer with a petrol (No additive tank, No DPF, No gummy EGR, no DMF)........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

And all second-hand petrol cars are perfect and trouble free with no hidden problems.

• Advertisement

And all second-hand petrol cars are perfect and trouble free with no hidden problems.

A hell of a lot cheaper to fix than diesel and not liable to put you into limp mode when you least expect it.

OP, research your vehicle thoroughly before you buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Corolla or avensis in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

If money is tight forget about trying to buy an A4 2008 for 6.5k lovely car I've had one but at that age and price range they will be high mileage and need a constant supply of money put into them to keep them in good working order. The Octavia would be a better bet I reckon. As said if your not doing the mileage buy a petrol there is less to go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Laguna.

They are not but considering two of modern diesels biggest failure points are DPFs and DMFs and petrols have neither it helps with reliability as there is less to go wrong.

You can get a lemon petrol as well as diesel but on a smaller budget you have a better chance of the petrol car being reliable.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Laguna.

Or even a MK3 1.5dci Renault Megane from experience a serious car when it comes to reliability. If I need a reliable diesel car around that budget in the morning Megane or Laguna would be two of the first I'd look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Laguna.

Are there any from 2008 still chugging along?

A lexus may be a better bet re reliability and badge combo.

https://www.cbg.ie/used-cars/lexus/is220/2008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭blueskys

Have a late 2009 2.0 passat estate for the past 3 years, no issues whatsoever
    with it. Would stay away from the 1.6 skodas/v.w's though, no power whatsoever.

289K km mileage!! If mine ever sees that I'd be looking to sell it on DD.

Only at 178K KM in my diesel S40 (nursing it along through emissions error for EGR, cleaned from top last week and no error since) waiting for the big bang!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Badge may be better but the is220d is known for mechanical issues. The mk3 Laguna is a hidden gem. Everyone expects them to be crap because the mk2 was. They're actually a very reliable car, and given the budget you're more likely t get a good one than some of the more obvious cars the op is looking at (A4 for example)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

have 5,000 to 7,000 to spend.. i can get a 2008 octavia for under 5000 and an audi for 6500 now but is it worth the money to go for audi or am i better off with skoda or vw passat/golf

Nissan Qashqai 1.5 dci.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Alter_Ego

How about Civic 2.2 diesel. This engine has a chain instead of a timing belt so less maintenance needed than in VW diesels. They're more reliable than the VM group cars too. You'll get a decent one with low mileage for that money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

A diesel Lexus IS would not be exactly known for reliability or fuel efficiency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭photosmart

Hi there

I'd recommend a VAG Car with a 1.9tdi engine. Probably an octavia and get the one with 100bhp and a full service history if possible / one owner.

I have a golf 2003 with that engine from new and am currently on 230k miles with no major problems. List of stuff changed since I bought it although its been minded with oil and filter changed every 5000 miles and filter every 15000. Also mostly motorway miles.

Another advantage is that oil and fuel filter on this engine are very easily changed so you can do it yourself.

3 timing belts (every 60k)
    fan belt and alternator at 210k
    radiator at 200k
    Front and rearBrake pads and disks x 2 (i drive easy)
    2 x batteries

Although i don't have one the renault 1.5dci engined cars have a good rep

photosmart wrote: »
    Hi there

I'd recommend a VAG Car with a 1.9tdi engine. Probably an octavia and get the one with 100bhp and a full service history if possible / one owner.

I have a golf 2003 with that engine from new and am currently on 230k miles with no major problems. List of stuff changed since I bought it although its been minded with oil and filter changed every 5000 miles and filter every 15000. Also mostly motorway miles.

Another advantage is that oil and fuel filter on this engine are very easily changed so you can do it yourself.

3 timing belts (every 60k)
    fan belt and alternator at 210k
    radiator at 200k
    Front and rearBrake pads and disks x 2 (i drive easy)
    2 x batteries

Although i don't have one the renault 1.5dci engined cars have a good rep

yes i currently have a 2003 octavia 1.9tdi, 160k miles great car gave 1000e for it last year and never had to do anything to her only a track rod end, i agree the old 1.9 vag are bullet proof but i hear alot about the new 2008+ 1.9tdi vag engines giving alot of trouble and the flywheels are a frequent problem.. still looking, changed mind on audi i will rather get a passat or octavia 2008+ but need to get the good engine code
    thanks for your help

• Advertisement

Just wonderin why you've changing - Im at the stage myself of thinking about changing but the car is only worth about 1000 max and she just keeps going so my thinking is that every year I keep the car on the road its saving me about 2k (assuming no major repairs). I know tax is high but that and about 300 quid for repairs/serviving a year is getting me a lot of mileage

(I do 23k miles a year) so the only thing that will cause me to change is if something that costs more than 400-500 quid happens.

Whats your thought process?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Buy a Ford. The most reliable cars out there!

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

I have had a few cars over the years but have had my 2003 Audi A3 since 2009 and have never had anything done to do it (I did have to buy a new battery last year). So thumbs up from me for the Audi!

Just wonderin why you've changing - Im at the stage myself of thinking about changing but the car is only worth about 1000 max and she just keeps going so my thinking is that every year I keep the car on the road its saving me about 2k (assuming no major repairs). I know tax is high but that and about 300 quid for repairs/serviving a year is getting me a lot of mileage

(I do 23k miles a year) so the only thing that will cause me to change is if something that costs more than 400-500 quid happens.

Whats your thought process?

I want to change to get the cheap tax paying 760 a year now I see alot of 2008+ are 280 a year that's nearly saving 500 a year.. Hate changing as it's hard to get a newer car as reliable as the old skodas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

I want to change to get the cheap tax paying 760 a year now I see alot of 2008+ are 280 a year that's nearly saving 500 a year.. Hate changing as it's hard to get a newer car as reliable as the old skodas

Unless your current car is in need of expensive repairs, you will lose more than 500 Euro per year in a car worth 6k via depreciation itself.

5000-7000 will buy you a lot of motor tax on your current car.

Thanks OP

My tax is also 760 but if I buy a newer car the saving on tax is only about 550 at best. At the moment I'm spending an average of about 300-400 a year for repairs and service (I do the basic oil and filter and fuel filter services myself) which means that I'm getting 23k miles of driving for around a grand. Thats serious value but as I said if something expensive goes (clutch turbo etc) that costs over 500 to get repaired then I've done the numbers and its time to say goodbye.

If you skoda isn't giving you active hassle and is still reliable (which I would class at no more than 1 max breakdown or failure to start a year) I'd keep it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

There could be another maybe €500 per year penalty for insuring an old car with current NCT versus a newer car with current NCT...

• Advertisement

Hi SC

I know the insurance is more expensive but is it really that much?
    I think I paid 640 last year and I cant see myself getting a quote for 140 - maybe 450 or something like that

I think I paid 640 last year and I cant see myself getting a quote for 140 - maybe 450 or something like that

That's nice.

Thank You

Thank You

Do You get it though? Are ya following like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

@op you can get a mk1 octavia on chape tax they were sold up till 2009 with the 100bhp 1.9 tdi engine.

There's also a fabia estate on dd with the same 1.9tdi engine and a 08 reg it's in Dublin I think.

The last of the b5 skoda superbs were sold up to 2009 as well with a relatively reliable and old School bpz 115bhp tdi engine and cheap tax too.

Thanks OP

My tax is also 760 but if I buy a newer car the saving on tax is only about 550 at best. At the moment I'm spending an average of about 300-400 a year for repairs and service (I do the basic oil and filter and fuel filter services myself) which means that I'm getting 23k miles of driving for around a grand. Thats serious value but as I said if something expensive goes (clutch turbo etc) that costs over 500 to get repaired then I've done the numbers and its time to say goodbye.

If you skoda isn't giving you active hassle and is still reliable (which I would class at no more than 1 max breakdown or failure to start a year) I'd keep it.

yes i know that there is no beating the 2003 skoda with her 160k miles she has another 160k left in her but as SC has said that the current system in ireland is to penalise people with older cars by tax and insurence, i will have to do all the maths and see what is best idea thanks for your advice

• Advertisement

@op you can get a mk1 octavia on chape tax they were sold up till 2009 with the 100bhp 1.9 tdi engine.

There's also a fabia estate on dd with the same 1.9tdi engine and a 08 reg it's in Dublin I think.

The last of the b5 skoda superbs were sold up to 2009 as well with a relatively reliable and old School bpz 115bhp tdi engine and cheap tax too.

i was looking at 3 mk1 octavias 2008+ on donedeal recently but all have very very high mileage unfortuannly

yes i know that there is no beating the 2003 skoda with her 160k miles she has another 160k left in her but as SC has said that the current system in ireland is to penalise people with older cars by tax and insurence, i will have to do all the maths and see what is best idea thanks for your advice

For the rather dubious craic of it, I found a 2004 1.9tdi (100bhp) on donedeal and got a quote with Aviva. Couldn't do a 2003 obviously as they are all death machines and can't be insured by Aviva.

I ended up with a quote of 950 for TPFT paid in one payment (not monthly). Is that 500 more that somebody with a full clean licence, 10 years no "at fault claims" should be paying? Maybe. Is it at least 300 more - I would say so, yes.

Could a lot of people be paying 500 more (plus/minus) on an older car than a newer car - I think it's a definite possibility.

Is one particular poster who joined the thread recently definitely paying 500 more for driving an older car. No. Is this some kind of proof that insurers are not loading older vehicles.... no.

Okay since you want to quantify this - you have a figure for older car and assuming your own circumstances. Its €950

Now why not get a quote for a very similar car 2017 ie 1.6tdi Skoda octavia 110BHP again using your own details and see what the quote is.

Then subtract one from the other et voila you have an objective measurement of the difference between insurance on old vs new car.

regards

PS

No I's

Took own advice on insurance quote using wifes details on its4women

2003 golf quote 1050
    2017 dacia duster 740
    2017 octavia 1.6 770

So loading seems to be around 290 to 310

However OP is talking about moving to an 08 - didn't do comparison but doubt insurance saving would be as big

Took own advice on insurance quote using wifes details on its4women

2003 golf quote 1050
    2017 dacia duster 740
    2017 octavia 1.6 770

So loading seems to be around 290 to 310

However OP is talking about moving to an 08 - didn't do comparison but doubt insurance saving would be as big

So, older vehicles are more expensive to insure (on average, plus or minus etc etc).

Do I get to say "the prosecution rests, you honour" on an online forum? Or is that reserved for cases where things must be proven beyond any reasonable doubt with expert witnesses and cases must be watertight?

Is it ok on an online forum to make a generalisation like "older cars are more expensive to insure, could be 500 for some people" give or take like?

What sample size do you think we should take to prove/disprove the €500 figure? You've come up with approx 300, right? I've come up with an example that IMO supports AT LEAST 300.

What kind of plus minus would you say is acceptable in an answer thrown out on an internet forum? On something so variable and opaque as insurance prices? 1%? 3%?

• Advertisement

Okay since you want to quantify this -

Na I'm actually happy to assume that many people are paying a penalty of a few hundred euro for driving older cars, or maybe can't insure them at all.

Bit thin skinned?

Bit thin skinned?

No I just like arguing. And being right, or at least more correct than the person telling me I'm wrong, that I have no credibility, that I can't be taken seriously, that my posts are nonsense. That kinda thing.

No I just like arguing. And being right, or at least more correct than the person telling me I'm wrong, that I have no credibility, that I can't be taken seriously, that my posts are nonsense. That kinda thing.

My apologies if you thought i was saying you were wrong. That wasn't my intention. Best. P

Advertisement