Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting night rate meter fitted: is it possible

Options
  • 18-02-2017 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at getting an EV and am told to get a night rate meter: am getting mixed messages as to if it can still be got.?
    Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,442 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can get a night rate meter from ESB Networks. They may do it for free, but if you ever change back, they may charge.

Shop around when it comes to who you buy the electricity from. Note that the night rate is lower than standard electricity, but day rate is higher.

Talk to these people: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1634 also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Can you get one no matter the reason for change, the physical location and / or the provider of the electric bill !?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 78,442 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As best I know. Talk to ESB Networks.

I assume the property is yours. If you are renting, it may be an issue.

Victor wrote: »
    As best I know. Talk to ESB Networks.

I assume the property is yours. If you are renting, it may be an issue.

Thanks,I'll give them a call in the morning.
    That will be great ! I have 5kw of installed PV panels,I guess they won't be too happy...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

In practice, you end up talking to your electrical supplier for the night rate meter, who then engage with ESB Networks on your behalf.
    It can still be gotten - at least, I got one about 18 months ago - no issues...also saved a few quid on bill costs, as I shifted some heavy power consumers to night usage...

• Advertisement

Thanks to all but after making the maths is not worth it:
    https://www.bonkers.ie/guides/gas-electricity/what-is-a-nightsaver-meter/

"night time" is way too late in the day to claim any savings for my usage pattern.Daily extra charge for each unit is too expensive,I'm paying now .13 vs then .20.

May suits OP for the EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,126 ✭✭✭✭KCross

rolion wrote: »
    Thanks to all but after making the maths is not worth it:
    https://www.bonkers.ie/guides/gas-electricity/what-is-a-nightsaver-meter/

"night time" is way too late in the day to claim any savings for my usage pattern.Daily extra charge for each unit is too expensive,I'm paying now .13 vs then .20.

May suits OP for the EV.

The day rate doesn't go up to 20c. That was just an example.

When you switch to night rate your day rate will go up by 1c and your night rate will half. Standing charge goes up by about €45/year.

If you use about 3-4 units by night it pays for itself.

Put appliances on delay timer and immersion also.

If you have an EV it's a must have as you will be using 20+ units per night then.

The installation of the meter is free. Just ask your provider and they organise it with ESB Networks.

Advertisement