Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home improvements you find tacky

• 19-02-2017 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭

Tonight I was wondering if I should get those units that go either side of the bed and overhead for additional storage but part of me thinks they're a bit tacky. What home improvements do you find to be tacky?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i hate it when some trys to make an 80s bungelow look like an old house with cornicess etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Magnolia paint

glass blocks used wrong.
    when right they look good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Painting the tops of your railings gold, FFS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Magnolia paint

Seems to be the safe option though. Can't decide on one colour just go for magnolia.

• Advertisement

decks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

KKkitty wrote: »
    Tonight I was wondering if I should get those units that go either side of the bed and overhead for additional storage but part of me thinks they're a bit tacky. What home improvements do you find to be tacky?

They are awful.

i hate it when some trys to make an 80s bungelow look like an old house with cornicess etc.

Some people have to look at those monstrosities for ages til they can sort them out :')

lawred2 wrote: »
    They are awful.

The wooden ones are truly awful. They belong in a certain decade and should be left there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Glitter paint
    Mirrored lockers and units
    Brick effect wallpaper
    Stripey carpet on stairs.. Especially with lighting on each step.

Just my personal hates. If it makes someone happy in their home fair play... Just absolutely not for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭ShiftStorm

Not a home improvement per se but those wooden blocks for your window sill or mantelpiece that spell out 'HOME' or 'Mr & Mrs' and other such tat!

Deer wrote: »
    Glitter paint
    Mirrored lockers and units
    Brick effect wallpaper
    Stripey carpet on stairs.. Especially with lighting on each step.

Just my personal hates. If it makes someone happy in their home fair play... Just absolutely not for me

What is the point of glitter paint in fairness?

ShiftStorm wrote: »
    Not a home improvement per se but those wooden blocks for your window sill or mantelpiece that spell out 'HOME' or 'Mr & Mrs' and other such tat!

or love

Or those Live, Life, Love ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Concrete horses heads on pillars. Welcome to the halting site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

A conservatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Three flying ducks on a wall.

Doileys.

Religious stuff with Jebus staring at you holding a big red heart and sad eyes that follow you around the room....judging you.

Woodchip wallpaper.

Porcelain dolls.

Ceiling fans.

Glass mugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

I have no time for those inspirational messages stenciled on feature walls Life-Is-Short-Forgive-Quickly-Love-Truly-Kiss-Slowly-Laugh-Uncontrollably-and-Never-Regret-Anything-That-Made-You-Smile-Wall-Quote-Decal.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Porcelain dolls. They're made in the firey pits of hell im sure of it

A wall with paper on the bottom half paint on the top half and the wooden board in the middle

Lights on the stairs

Ivory leather furniture

Fairy lights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Magnolia paint

Terracotta paint.

• Advertisement

painted tiles instead of re tiling

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Terracotta paint.

Is that a thing? Never heard of it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Fascia boards made to look fancy ... Pure tack

Caravan chic! It's the overhead lockers that do it.

White porcelain figurines flanked by glass vases of artificial flowers.

Excessive decking, particularly if there's a hot tub housed on it.

Conservatories that leave a clearance around them of only three feet of remaining garden, bonus points for multiple clothes horses of airing clothes on display.

Garden gnomes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

****ing Lino.

Done a few renovations and ripping this stuff up is always a manky job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Or those Live, Life, Love ones.

People who have those deserve to be beaten.

When I lived with my parents my mam decided to get wood effect lino for the sitting room. When I saw what was under the carpet I was shocked. No matter how many times you hoover carpet it never really gets all of the dirt so carpets are out for me too. They're soft but that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

If you put a mirror on the part that goes over your head, I'd say so

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    If you put a mirror on the part that goes over your head, I'd say so

Wonder what you're getting at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Grecian style pillars. They don't make a bungalow any more like Georgian mansion.
    French shabby chic flower pots, garden utensils, garden furniture etc. No matter how much lavender there is planted in them it's still not Provance.
    2005 built semi-d with antique style furniture.
    Color coordinated cushions, candles and wall art from Woodies. Hang something on the wall because you like it and not because it will match your cushions and wall paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Square toilets I find them really uncomfortable and chairs\sofas that are uncomfortable both of which people get because they look nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

High gloss floor tiles. :eek: laid diagonally :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

dpofloinn wrote: »
    I have no time for those inspirational messages stenciled on feature walls Life-Is-Short-Forgive-Quickly-Love-Truly-Kiss-Slowly-Laugh-Uncontrollably-and-Never-Regret-Anything-That-Made-You-Smile-Wall-Quote-Decal.png
    I would sooner have a ten foot swastika on my wall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Jaysus I must be the tackiest cvnt going.

Couches/sofas with a million and one cushions on them that you have to move every time you want to sit down. I don't mind one either end but not loads in between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

net curtains

tyres, especially painted ones, with plants in them

archways in bungalows,

rows of medals and trophies across the top of display units

wallpaper borders at the top of walls and half way up walls

Plastic doors, windows, gutters, fascia.

Windows I can get over if I have to, the practicalities outweigh the aesthetics at times. PVC doors, gutters and fascias, no.

Couches/sofas with a million and one cushions on them that you have to move every time you want to sit down. I don't mind one either end but not loads in between.

Cushions all over the bed is even worse. Dozens of soft toys is even worse again! You have to excavate the place to get under the duvet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Globe bars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Belfast sinks!

• Advertisement

Belfast sinks!

I love those if they're original to the house. Not so nice in 3 bed semi built in 2005. :)

There's one in my grandmothers house in sort of utility room beside the kitchen that she calls the scullery, one of my earliest memories is being given a bath in it.

Belfast sinks!

In a really big kitchen they're not so bad but in a tiny one they look awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

I noticed a lot of new builds now a days are going a "luxury" look. It usually means shiny floors, shiny kitchens, lots of glass tables, "chandlers" mirrors, leather sofas, furry cushions and lots of wall paper. No amount of this stuff is going to make a 3 bed semi look like a mansion. The whole things together looks really tacky and uninviting.

Speaking of leather sofas...I find them mostly tacky. Especially red leather sofas. yuk!

I also don't get feature walls...I mean the kind where you paint your chimney breast a bright colour/cover it with "funky" wallpaper while the other four walls are magnolia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

None of ye are ever coming to my house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

meeeeh wrote: »
    Color coordinated cushions, candles and wall art from Woodies. Hang something on the wall because you like it and not because it will match your cushions and wall paint.

Is this literally the opposite of tacky....if it looks well???

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Dado rails. The fcukers who owned the house before us put one in the living room, along with different types of wallpaper above and below and a border thrown in for good measure. The wallpaper was the first thing to go after buying the house, but pulling out the dado rail would probably damage the wall, so it's painted the same colour as the rest of the room (which actually camouflaged it quite well, my wife didn't notice it until about two years after she moved in :D). Plus they put cornices in every bloody room in the house and a huge plaster rose in the middle of the living room ceiling. What the fcuk was wrong with those people???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Those led lights, Phillips hue, etc.

Lino, carpet & wallpaper have no place in a house either. Horrible stuff the lot of them

High gloss floor tiles. :eek: laid diagonally :eek:
    Even worse if they're in the bathroom!
    Sliding out of the shower isn't fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Similar enough as it's notso really an improvement but those black and white images of Big Ben with a routemaster or a black taxi crossing the bridge or one of the Eiffel Tower. Absolute tat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

This new fad where Windows and glass are now replacing the entire wall. Yeah the light is lovely, but it's Ireland you're living in lads, not a ocean view Miami beach house in a Micheal Mann film from the 80's. Every other window around the parish with a twitchin curtain type now has a hubble telescope pointed right at your live-in greenhouse gaff

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
Advertisement