Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mam in Australia...can she stay?

• 19-02-2017 12:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

Kind of odd one. My grandmother lives in Australia...she is 90 and has dementia. She is still at home. Mam went over at Christmas (she was also there from July to October) and is scheduled back in March. However my aunt who is my nana's full time carer fell and can't do the heavy lifting for a few months. Whereas they do have home help for an hour a day Nana is pretty much up all night. My aunt is exhausted to the stage that she has alopecia and is very depressed. Mam would like to stay. She is on a tourist visa. I have looked into it and either she has to exit Australia and reapply or could apply for a Carer's visa from there. Any advice? I rang the High Commission in the UK but was unclear

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Sorry to hear for the troubles you are having in Australia.

I do think that a call to Border protection agency would give you the fastest and most correct answer to your questions as your situation is more complicated than usual visa questions. My advice is to call them easy in the day as the hold times can be long otherwise. They are very helpful and usually nice to deal with when you have an questions.

https://www.border.gov.au/about/contact/make-enquiry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Thanks. I got through to the High Commission in London and explained the situation. Anyway turns out my mam qualifies for carer's visa whilst in Australia.

But waiting list is 4 to 6 years! My nana is 90! Plan B is to come home and invest in respite for a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,539 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

While your Mam is in Australia she should go and visit a migration agent to discuss her options. Migration agents are professionals who assist people in dealing with the Dept of Immigration, and negotiating their way around Australia's bizarrely complext migration laws. She'll have to pay for advice from a migration agent, but it would be money well spent, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Thanks. I think we're fairly sorted. They've got respite over there so my Mam will come home as planned and maybe go back again at Easter. My dad isn't all that well (he was assessed by public health today).

Who'd be an only child!

Advertisement