Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox one bluray - play UHD or 4k bluray discs?

Options
  • 19-02-2017 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Does the standard bluray player with the xbox one s playUHD or 4k bluray discs?

I see a lot of hdmi cables out there. Is the standard cable that comes with the unit decent enough or would the image improve again with the higher spec cables?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

sticker wrote: »
    Hi.

I see a lot of hdmi cables out there. Is the standard cable that comes with the unit decent enough or would the image improve again with the higher spec cables?

Thanks

Xbox one S will handle UHD blu rays.
    The original one will not.

The cable that comes with the console is a high speed HDMI and is capable of displaying them correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I believe one of the One S's main selling points at launch was that it was one of, if not, the cheapest 4k bluray players on the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

sticker wrote: »
    Hi.

Thanks
    There is no such thing as a good or bad cable. Any cheap cable will do just as good as the most expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Thanks everyone... much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

qrx wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a good or bad cable. Any cheap cable will do just as good as the most expensive.

Always wondered about this, so those mad expensive 'gold' ones don't offer anything better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Isn't there differing spec oh HDMI cables now i.e. 4k, 3D need HDMI 2.5 or something?

As for the gold and platinum cables etc., that's a long known scan to part people with their money

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

theteal wrote: »
    Isn't there differing spec oh HDMI cables now i.e. 4k, 3D need HDMI 2.5 or something?

The HDMI spec changes have only applied to the HDMI ports, and not to the cables themselves, meaning that a good quality cable from years ago will still work totally fine with the latest version. In saying that, there's a very small possibility that an older cable just won't meet the bandwidth required, in which case a new cable will be required.
    theteal wrote: »
    As for the gold and platinum cables etc., that's a long known scan to part people with their money

Yeah, gold connectors may have had some impact back in the day, with analogue signals, but HDMI cables use a digital signal. Either the HDMI cable works or it doesn't.

If you're spending more than a tenner on a standard length HDMI cable, then you're getting ripped off. In most cases, even a cheaper one would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

CatInABox wrote: »
    The HDMI spec changes have only applied to the HDMI ports, and not to the cables themselves, meaning that a good quality cable from years ago will still work totally fine with the latest version. In saying that, there's a very small possibility that an older cable just won't meet the bandwidth required, in which case a new cable will be required.

You need a HDMI 2.0 cable to get 4k at 60 Hz
    Below that a 1.4 cable will do 4k at 30 Hz
    Below that a 1.3a cable won't do 4k at all.

The cable of course matches to the output type of the equipment. i.e. a bluray palyer with a HMDI 1.3a output, will not output in 4k, just cos you have a 2.0 cable etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Buttros

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

marcbrophy wrote: »
    You need a HDMI 2.0 cable to get 4k at 60 Hz
    Below that a 1.4 cable will do 4k at 30 Hz
    Below that a 1.3a cable won't do 4k at all.

The cable of course matches to the output type of the equipment. i.e. a bluray palyer with a HMDI 1.3a output, will not output in 4k, just cos you have a 2.0 cable etc :)
    work in curry's do you? that''s about the only place i've seen that amount of nonsense being touted before

there are no HDMI 2.0 cabbles.
    there are no hdmi 1.4 cables.
    hdmi 2.1 has a new cable, but it's not even required for 4k, only 8k resolutions and higher bandwidth video.

any high speed hdmi cable will work just fine with hdmi 1.4, 2.0 and for a lot of the 2.1 use cases.

• Advertisement

Buttros wrote: »

yup, no mentionof it being a 2.0 cable, it properly states it's a high speed cable, and as such (from it's description)

Meets the latest HDMI standards (4K Video at 60 Hz, 2160p, 48 bit/px color depth) that supports bandwidth up to 18Gbps and backwards compatible with earlier versions

mossym wrote: »
    work in curry's do you? that''s about the only place i've seen that amount of nonsense being touted before

there are no HDMI 2.0 cabbles.
    there are no hdmi 1.4 cables.
    hdmi 2.1 has a new cable, but it's not even required for 4k, only 8k resolutions and higher bandwidth video.

any high speed hdmi cable will work just fine with hdmi 1.4, 2.0 and for a lot of the 2.1 use cases.

A HMDI 2.0 standard cable has an operating bandwidth of 18Gbps, which meets the standards of HMDI 2.0 outputs.
    A HMDI 1.4 stardard cable has 10.2Gbps, to match that standard.

They may be interoperable, but they are not the same thing.

Also, 2.0 standard cables are known as premium high speed cable, rather than just high speed cable.

I'm pulling my info straight from the horses mouth!
    http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/premiumcable/Premium_HDMI_Cable_Certification_Program.aspx

from your very link(anything in italics is taken directly from the site you linked to)

The program is designed to give end users confidence when purchasing new HDMI cables for their 4K/UltraHD products that may include features such as 4K@60Hz, BT.2020 and HDR. Participating HDMI Adopters can promote their ATC-tested High Speed HDMI Cables as Premium High Speed HDMI Cables or Premium High Speed HDMI Cables with Ethernet using a unique anti-counterfeiting authentication label on their products.

Don’t all current High Speed HDMI Cables work at 18Gbps?
    Although current High Speed HDMI cables are designed to handle the increased bandwidth of 4K@60 video streams, we see a need for additional testing to ensure consistent performance at the higher speeds. We also foresee how higher bandwidth can result in increased EMI emissions, which can cause interference with wireless signals in home theater devices. This new program provides both testing and labeling to address both these issues for the manufacturer and the end user.

they cannot call them HDMI 2.0, or 1.4. 0r 1.3, as you call them. and rpesuming yoout 2.0 is the premium high speed cable, that would make the 1.4 as you called it the high speed cable, which the link you provided stated were designed to handle 18gb/s

the high speed naming convention was introduced in 2008. well before any mention of hdmi 2.0. (i should know the dates). i was in the technical group which developed the hdmi 2.0 spec for a year

cables cannot be called 2.0 or 1.4. again, teh link you posted makes that very clear
    http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/finding_right_cable.aspx

from http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/buying_guide.aspx

Some people have the mistaken idea that they should be shopping for a particular version of the HDMI Specification, for example, HDMI 2.0 or HDMI 1.4. This has never been true

There are five HDMI cable types plus a special cable certification designation to choose from, each designed to meet a particular performance standard. Here is an overview of the HDMI cable types, their capabilities, and how to tell them apart.

To help consumer and clarify cable types further, all HDMI cable products will now be required to be labeled by cable type. Look for these labels when choosing the HDMI cable that is best for your needs.

Standard HDMI Cable
    The Standard HDMI cable is designed to handle most home applications, and is tested to reliably transmit 1080i or 720p video – the HD resolutions that are commonly associated with cable and satellite television, digital broadcast HD, and upscaling DVD players.
    Standard HDMI Cable with Ethernet
    This cable type offers the same baseline performance as the Standard HDMI Cable shown above (720p or 1080i video resolution), plus an additional, dedicated data channel, known as the HDMI Ethernet Channel, for device networking. HDMI Ethernet Channel functionality is only available if both linked devices are HDMI Ethernet Channel-enabled.
    Standard Automotive HDMI Cable
    Supports up to 720p/1080i (does not support HDMI Ethernet Channel). Since an automotive system may be wired with one or more internal relays that can affect signal strength, the Standard Automotive HDMI Cable needs to send a stronger signal than other cables types, so it is tested to higher performance standards.
    High Speed HDMI Cable
    The High Speed HDMI cable is designed and tested to handle video resolutions of 1080p and beyond, including advanced display technologies such as 4K, 3D, and Deep Color. If you are using any of these technologies, or if you are connecting your 1080p display to a 1080p content source, such as a Blu-ray Disc player, this is the recommended cable.
    High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet
    This cable type offers the same baseline performance as the High Speed HDMI Cable shown above (1080p video resolution and beyond), plus an additional, dedicated data channel, known as the HDMI Ethernet Channel, for device networking. HDMI Ethernet Channel functionality is only available if both linked devices are HDMI Ethernet Channel-enabled.
    Premium High Speed HDMI Cable and Premium High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet
    are special certification designations for High Speed HDMI Cables that have been designed and certified for ultra-reliable performance for 4K and advanced features such as higher frame rates, HDR, expanded color spaces including BT.2020 colorimetry, 4:4:4 chroma sampling, and they are identified by the Premium HDMI Cable Certification Label.

Sorry, I'm not reading that block of text.
    Just gonna presume that I was wrong.

Thanks for the correction :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

4K HDMI cables (are nonsense)

However, I'm not one to believe everything I read on the internet so I can tell you from experience that I use only bog standard, cheap (€15 region) cables (probably high-speed, I can't tell) and they work perfectly viewing 4K HDR content.

But of course you will also be reading this on the internet, so why not pick up a cheap cable in Tesco, try it out and if you're not happy bring it back.

I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong, but I just thought after reading up on it recently, that I was using an inferior cable.
    I have a €1.50 cable from dealz sending signal from my 4k PC and was worried that I wasn't getting the best picture.
    Although this cheap ass cable works fine, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something due to it not being an 18Gbps cable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭cml387

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong, but I just thought after reading up on it recently, that I was using an inferior cable.
    I have a €1.50 cable from dealz sending signal from my 4k PC and was worried that I wasn't getting the best picture.
    Although this cheap ass cable works fine, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something due to it not being an 18Gbps cable :)

The great thing about digital is that it either works or obviously doesn't.
    Any data loss is immediately apparent as blocking and scratchy sound.

cml387 wrote: »
    The great thing about digital is that it either works or obviously doesn't.
    Any data loss is immediately apparent as blocking and scratchy sound.

I've always known that with HDMI, that it'd either work or not work.
    But with HDMI 2.0 it muddied the water in what I understood.

Here's the scenario:

TV with HMDI 2.0 input, capable of displaying 4k@60fps
    PC with HDMI 2.0 output, capable of generating 4k@60fps
    10.2 Gbps HMDI cable, capable of transferring 4k@30fps

In the above scenario, I need a HDMI cable, 18Gbps, rated to transfer 4k@60fps. Or am I going mad?

In qrx's link above, the author states that the caveat for a 2.0 cable is gaming!
    Cnet wrote:
    The exception is if you're a gamer. PC gamers have had 4K gaming for several years, and the latest version of both consoles can output 4K. However, it's still worth checking if your current cables can handle the extra bandwidth. Though the resolution is the same as a 4K movie, the extra frames per second mean a lot of extra data over the same "pipe."

Advertisement