Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken/Turkey ... adding to dishes

Options
  • 19-02-2017 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

I find when adding diced turkey or chicken to stir fry's etc it tastes very dry as I always fry first. Does anyone have an recommendations for cooking the diced chicken/turkey to keep it moist before adding?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 snorrie

Try velveting the chicken or turkey first. Here's one example of a recipe but there are many more on the internet:
    http://www.joyofcooking.com/joy-community/velveting-chicken-you-get-chinese-take-out

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Also consider how long you are stir frying the meat for.
    Maybe stir fry the meat, set aside & keep warm, stir fry the veg & then combine the lot before serving.

Zelda247 wrote: »
    I find when adding diced turkey or chicken to stir fry's etc it tastes very dry as I always fry first. Does anyone have an recommendations for cooking the diced chicken/turkey to keep it moist before adding?

Are you frying it in oil?
    How long do you fry the chicken for?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Again Hill Billy says exactly what I was going to say.

If the chicken/turkey is dry, it's overcooked. Simple as.
    Do as suggested and just heat the pre-cooked meat through for just a minute before serving.

Remember, thin slices or cubes will cook through very quickly in a hot pan. Do them a few pieces at a time so that they fry rather than poach in their juices and keep the pan hot so they cook quickly and stay juicy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Great minds, tbr. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Again Hill Billy says exactly what I was going to say.

If the chicken/turkey is dry, it's overcooked. Simple as.
    Do as suggested and just heat the pre-cooked meat through for just a minute before serving.

Remember, thin slices or cubes will cook through very quickly in a hot pan. Do them a few pieces at a time so that they fry rather than poach in their juices and keep the pan hot so they cook quickly and stay juicy.

frying in oil for about 8 mins.

Zelda247 wrote: »
    frying in oil for about 8 mins.

Sliced?
    Depending on the how thick, that sounds way too long. Hence dry meat.

Take a piece, cook it for 2 minutes. Cut it in half. If no pink, it's cooked through. That will give you an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I cut mine up with a scissors as chopping finely can be a pain, you can think its chopped but its still attached down the bottom if you do not fully slice. Get a decent scissors, using one is a different ball game -and you use it for more things once you reaslise you have a brilliant "cutting device".

I have this one
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-Black-Handled-Kitchen-Scissors/dp/B0009XVCTG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487630638&sr=8-1&keywords=victorinox+scissors

Though keep away from kids, I have cut myself a few times.

there are poultry shears to go through bones too, but that linked one is fine for boneless meats.

If cooked first separately it is easy to visually see if it has been turned enough, if mixed in with veg you have to cook the lot for longer, as you might have random stray bits of meat which have not hit the pan directly -so you end up overcooking the lot to make sure.

I remember a guy in work appalled to see me eating chicken after only cooking for a few minutes. A married lad who did no cooking, I guess In his mind mammy told him chicken must be cooked for an hour or so, probably would have stir fried turkey for 3-6hours, sure thats how long you cook it at christmas!

Advertisement