Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a Modem with Three WARNING

• 19-02-2017 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭

I phoned Three with a strange problem & for the first time ever they said that I would be reported for using a phone sim in a modem. They even knew the model number & make. I doubt that anything will come of it & if it does then I will get another sim, but be warned that it's not a good idea to phone Three if you are using a phone sim in a modem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Would be great if they finally did.

Not for you, but for the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

ED E wrote: »

My usage wouldn't make any difference. It's not about bandwidth, it's about revenue. Three want to charge a lot more for internet use. But I agree that AYCE is a recipe for contention. Maybe if Three focused on their existing customers instead of adding thousands more, we might all get a decent service.

Really we cant blame Three, Irish consumers dont want to pay anything for cellular service. When H3G and Big Red have to compete with €10/mo everyone gets dragged into the mud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I feel like getting a bar of soap to both of your mouths!!

Strange reply seeing as you suggest that people do the same thing :confused:

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    Strange reply seeing as you suggest that people do the same thing :confused:

Make hay while the sun shines.

Three allow rampant abuse but if everyone is already doing it those that can may as well make use of it. Generally Id recommend it to those with no other option who are a vast minority (and nowhere near me).

Three allow rampant abuse but if everyone is already doing it those that can may as well make use of it. Generally Id recommend it to those with nox other option who are a vast minority (and nowhere near me).

Ok that's me ok on both counts. A new one is that Eir will only allow connections via direct debit. Half the old wans around here don't even have a bank account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I phoned Three with a strange problem & for the first time ever they said that I would be reported for using a phone sim in a modem. They even knew the model number & make. I doubt that anything will come of it & if it does then I will get another sim, but be warned that it's not a good idea to phone Three if you are using a phone sim in a modem.

LOL so why did you?

Same happened to a neighbor and that was about 6 months ago again I don't know why he rang up but nothing happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭flutered

Three allow rampant abuse but if everyone is already doing it those that can may as well make use of it. Generally Id recommend it to those with no other option who are a vast minority (and nowhere near me).

to me the vast majority have a real bad service, most of the country up to very recently were struggling with up to 2meg down

Its a Sunday night and I'm getting 50Mb off a micro mast, no complaints here.

• Advertisement

My previously wonderful 4g - a whole year of no complaints, has finally started really playing up. I had a pretty consistent 10 mb from a 4g mast. Now it frequently drops to 1 or less. I am hoping to finally get decent wired broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭John mac

I had mine running off a phone for a few months it was getting a steady 12mb down , last couple of weeks it has been slowing down 1 or less mb .
    got a router to force lte connection ,
    was disappointed as there was no improvement,
    last week however it has come in fine , currently 45mb down and 8 up .
    :)

edit ... this is it .. :)
    6086072990.png

This shows how bonkers mine has gone.
    Screenshot_20170226-234901_1.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

John mac wrote: »
    I had mine running off a phone for a few months it was getting a steady 12mb down , last couple of weeks it has been slowing down 1 or less mb .
    got a router to force lte connection ,
    was disappointed as there was no improvement,
    last week however it has come in fine , currently 45mb down and 8 up .
    :)
    What ya buy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

Who were they going to report you to?
    They sell you a sim and they sell you credit, what laws are you breaking?

Cerco wrote: »
    Who were they going to report you to?
    They sell you a sim and they sell you credit, what laws are you breaking?

Their t&c's ban the use of an AYCE sim in a modem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

Did not know that. Thanks

Advertisement