Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential food poisoning from pub

Options
  • 19-02-2017 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Please move to a more relevant category as I couldn't find any thank you. Hi guys. Maybe some of you are more educated than me on this. My partner and I are in a pub yesterday. Had our starter about 615 and our main within 20 minutes.

She had spring rolls for starter and beef burger and chips for main. She had come straight from work. She had cereal in the morning and salad for lunch as we were eating out. We got home at 830 and she felt very ill. She went straight into the toilet and had extremely bad diarrhoea. She felt physically ill but was not sick. Without being too graphic we are talking about water here when she went to the toilet. She was like that until the early hours.

Got onto the pub was told now way was it the food as you can eat a steak rare?? I've spoken to a friend who is a chef and he said it could have been the beef as it was minced which is nothing like steak.

Also checked the NHS website in the UK which says you can be I'll within a few hours. The pub has been very unhelpful and wants me to get a doctor's note before they will do anything. For a 40 euro meal I am not going to even entertain that when the GP is 50 and we would have to apply for a refund off the doctor.

Never heard of being asked for a gp letter. Have only messaged them privately and they wouldn't even offer to speak to me. Not good enough in my opinion. Any thoughts? Could it have been their food? Will I bother following up on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

2hrs? Only if the food was visibly rancid.

Look at what she had for dinner Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭pj12332

ED E wrote: »
    2hrs? Only if the food was visibly rancid.

Look at what she had for dinner Friday night.

From the NHS website

"The symptoms of food poisoning usually begin within one to two days after eating contaminated food, although they may start at any point between a few hours and several weeks later"

Lots of places say it can occur within a few hours. That is why I am wondering if anyone else was ever in similar situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

pj12332 wrote: »
    From the NHS website

"The symptoms of food poisoning usually begin within one to two days after eating contaminated food, although they may start at any point between a few hours and several weeks later"

Lots of places say it can occur within a few hours. That is why I am wondering if anyone else was ever in similar situation.

The few hours bit would be for seriously compromised food.

PucaMama wrote: »
    The few hours bit would be for seriously compromised food.

OK so there is no chance it was the food in the pub? Just weird how she felt immediately sick and was so bad when we got home. Will ask her about the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

OK so there is no chance it was the food in the pub? Just writes how she felt immediately sick and was so bad when we got home. Will ask her about the night before.

Maybe she has a sensitivity to some ingredient in the food

• Advertisement

PucaMama wrote: »
    Maybe she has a sensitivity to some ingredient in the food

Maybe yes. First time in that place. We've eaten similar meals for years. Just this was the first time ans she was so I'll it got me wondering. It's not about the money. Just couldn't understand because I've not seen her like that in all the time I've been with her. 8 plus years!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

The salad is more likely to be the culprit if it was not washed thoroughly

rawn wrote: »
    The salad is more likely to be the culprit if it was not washed thoroughly

Pretty packed salad from a supermarket. Who knows haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭greasepalm

sometimes i find eating some types of food could give me the runs and has happened within 15 mins of meals.i know they do good food and if body is under stress can happen.
    I also found taking a water pill with breakfast and other meds gave me the runs also.I keep some Imodium tablets to hand which sorts out my issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

You get food poisoning within 72 hours of eating food so it could be anything shes eaten in the preceding 3 days. However from my HACCP training food poisoning within the first 12 hours usually means the person preparing tje food was the problem not the food.

• Advertisement

greasepalm wrote: »
    sometimes i find eating some types of food could give me the runs and has happened within 15 mins of meals.i know they do good food and if body is under stress can happen.
    I also found taking a water pill with breakfast and other meds gave me the runs also.I keep some Imodium tablets to hand which sorts out my issues.

Thanks for the reply. That was helpful.

lollsangel wrote: »
    You get food poisoning within 72 hours of eating food so it could be anything shes eaten in the preceding 3 days. However from my HACCP training food poisoning within the first 12 hours usually means the person preparing tje food was the problem not the food.

Yes my friend who is a chef said it is very possible for minced meat to become contaminated through human error. That's what I thought happened. But from this thread it seems likely it made her sick that quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭devondudley

you sound like you want it to be the pub

you sound like you want it to be the pub

Go troll elsewhere. I have just said from this thread that seems unlikely. Am I not allowed ask a question? Jog on

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭devondudley

I aint trolling, your the one with the attitude. "jog on" hopefully your girlfriend is ok but read the posts your dismissing everyone's opinion who is saying maybe it isn't the restaurant. best thing to do now is demand your money back from the restaurant and then leave a bad review on tripadvisor

I aint trolling, your the one with the attitude. "jog on" hopefully your girlfriend is ok but read the posts your dismissing everyone's opinion who is saying maybe it isn't the restaurant. best thing to do now is demand your money back from the restaurant and then leave a bad review on tripadvisor

What are you on about have you actually read the comments?? I've said it's "unlikely to be the pub" and thank you to another person for their helpful comment which has nothing to do with the pub? What are you actually on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

You can't actually prove it was the restaurant. It could be anything you had in the last day or two.
    It might not even be food poisoning.
    By all means you can ask for your money back, but I wouldn't waste much effort over €40.

Best of luck!

eeguy wrote: »
    You can't actually prove it was the restaurant. It could be anything you had in the last day or two.

By all means you can ask for your money back, but I wouldn't waste much effort over €40.

No it's not about the money I'm not looking for it back I just wanted to see if anyone else had reported anything to them and also find out on here if people had gotten sick that's quickly after a meal. And as per the other lads comment im not going to leave a bad public review when I don't know what made her sick. I was looking for opinions on here. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Yes my friend who is a chef said it is very possible for minced meat to become contaminated through human error. That's what I thought happened. But from this thread it seems likely it made her sick that quickly
    What are you on about have you actually read the comments?? I've said it's "unlikely to be the pub" and thank you to another person for their helpful comment which has nothing to do with the pub? What are you actually on about?

Just to flag - you said "... it was likely..." first.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think there may be a mis-understanding here. You did actually say "likely" above when you probably meant "unlikely".
    I hope the patient is feeling better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Just to flag - you said "... it was likely..." first.

In fairness I think anyone following the thread knew what he meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Mod note

Nothing to do with Health Sciences, thread closed.

Also medical advice isn't permitted on boards, no one here can diagnose whether this was food poisoning or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement