Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loud knock around the rear right hand side of car

• 19-02-2017 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I have a 08 Ford Ka which has been a great little car with no problems up until now. Anytime I go over a speed ramp/bump, even at very low speeds, there is a very loud knock coming from the rear right hand side of the car. It sounds like a large tool hitting off a metal panel on the car.
    I've remover everything from the car including the car jack and the knock is still there.
    Any ideas? TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭weisses

exhaust maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AarondeVreede

weisses wrote: »
    exhaust maybe ?

The exhaust seems solid enough. It spent move at all. The knock sounds like it's inside the car almost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Shock is gone or spring has snapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Bring it to a mechanic

Shock is gone or spring has snapped.

Great. Sounds expensive. I'm not great with the mechanics of cars so any tips on how I'd confirm that before bringing it to a garage?

• Advertisement

Great. Sounds expensive. I'm not great with the mechanics of cars so any tips on how I'd confirm that before bringing it to a garage?

If you look you should see if spring. Shock you would see evidence of leakage around usually.

Press down on all 4 corners separately and see does car bounce or return the same as other side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

hmm unsure if car has a worn droplink arm gone which would give those noises on cobblestones.

If you look you should see if spring. Shock you would see evidence of leakage around usually.

Press down on all 4 corners separately and see does car bounce or return the same as other side.

Its springing back up the same on all 4 sides. I can't see any evidence of there being a leak.

greasepalm wrote: »
    hmm unsure if car has a worn droplink arm gone which would give those noises on cobblestones.

Its fine going over cobblestones/uneven country lanes. It's only large bumps like speed ramps which set it off.

Is there a cover knocking off shock. Had similar but still believe shocks are on way out they are original on car at 163k miles

• Advertisement

Is there a cover knocking off shock. Had similar but still believe shocks are on way out they are original on car at 163k miles

Car only has 37k miles in the clock. I can't see anywhere where it would be hitting

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pedro7

Check the spare wheel, jack, cross-brace etc are secure in the boot. I've had them come loose before. Also, check the wheel nuts aren't a little loose. 
    Even if it is shocks it wont be out of this world expensive. especially for a little Ka, they are quite good cars to work on. Once the shocks are done, they should last for a many years.
     Part failures arn't all about kms done with them. Time and driving styles have big effects.

pedro7 wrote: »
    Check the spare wheel, jack, cross-brace etc are secure in the boot. I've had them come loose before. Also, check the wheel nuts aren't a little loose. 
    Even if it is shocks it wont be out of this world expensive. especially for a little Ka, they are quite good cars to work on. Once the shocks are done, they should last for a many years.
     Part failures arn't all about kms done with them. Time and driving styles have big effects.

I took everything out of the car apart from the spare tyre which is mounted under the boot, and still the knocking is loud and clear. The spare tyre seems stiff in place so I'm really not sure. I guess a mechanic will have to have a look. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Why do people believe they need to have a diagnosis before they go to the garage.

Let a mechanic put it in a ramp and inspect it.

You go to a garage saying 'replace my shock', that's what they'll do. Might not fix the problem.

Why do people believe they need to have a diagnosis before they go to the garage.

You go to a garage saying 'replace my shock', that's what they'll do. Might not fix the problem.

Its more so to see could it be a diy or would it be extremely expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

grab ex tail pipe and give a good shake and wondering if the heat shield has rotted and fallen slightly?

As punisher5112;102669630 said, it's just to see if it's an easy diy fix that could be done at home :)

greasepalm wrote: »
    grab ex tail pipe and give a good shake and wondering if the heat shield has rotted and fallen slightly?

The exhaust is on there pretty solid. Thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭cnoc

The exhaust is on there pretty solid. Thanks anyway

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

A broken spring will still act as a spring, but the parts will separate and then come together creating the knocking sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭pmce4

Irrespective of the mileage a car this old could have perished bushings as the rubber will decay. This is probably the cause of your knocking.

Advertisement