Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear is the key

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

juke wrote: »

Thursday 31: 45 min moderate & short cool down - windy sleety evening, needed a bit of a talking to before I went out. So glad I did. I won’t say I enjoyed it, but I felt great after.

I'm glad you did too; seeing my Strava full of other people's runs is what "encouraged" me out the door on that particular evening.

Enjoy the training :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Base building week 3

Monday 4: 20 min v easy @ 8:38, HR, ave 133, 50 min weights,
    (trap-bar deads sets @ 90, bench, rdl’s @ 50 (left hand grip slipping @ 9-10 reps), incline dumbbell press, triceps), hands in ribbons.

Tuesday 5:Rest

Wednesday 6: 20 min easy @ 8:00, HR, ave 138, 50 min weights (Ieg press, shoulder press, lat pull-down, single leg dead’s, biceps, chest press - I’ll be sore tomorrow).

Thursday 7: 60 min Progression (8:15-6:45) + c/d. 8.75k, HR, ave 143, Max 166
    This went ok, though the progression needed concentration. Niggly right shin and lower back - maybe leg press the evening before this session is not ideal. However, it’s how the days fall so I’ll just keep at it. Note to self: STOP forgetting socks. Shoulders and neck ache, as predicted.

I’d just finished my latest audiobook, so I did this session listening to Dadcast - I am neither a parent nor male, so a million miles from the target audience for this podcast, but I laughed plenty at their traumas of navigating parenthood as I ran.

Friday 8: Rest

Saturday 9: 50 min mix (9 min easy/1 min hard) 7.8k, HR, ave 140, Max 168
    I was strangely anxious about this session. What’s ‘hard’? How will I know if I’m running hard enough? Or too hard?
    In the end I just ran as fast as I could while running tall, using my arms. No idea if it was right approach, but it’s done. Struggled to keep the ‘easy’ pace easy aswell. By cool down I was tired, right shin niggling again, left foot numb, ankles feeling kankley.

I’m not going to lie, I’ve been struggling with various pressures since Christmas, the time of year and almost perpetual darkness does not help. I wonder are my niggles just a symptom of my dark mood, rather than actual niggles. I’ll keep trying to keep to my plan, the headspace alone from running is gold, and the routine and aching muscles distract me from the stresses. (Edit: haha - I wrote this last night, premonition? :rolleyes:)

Sunday 10: Plan: 1hr 45min easy
    Actual - about 40 min easy, when my right ankle/shin/I dunno what made it too uncomfortable to continue. I was in the middle Marlay park at the time - it was a long, cold hobble home. I had to stop a couple of times just to rest it. No idea what’s wrong with me, but feet up now, an excuse to watch ‘le crunch’ without disturbance.

27k for the week - disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Do you ever do yoga? It's not just great for the head and really thinking about what's going on with you, but holding the poses might help you recognise if the niggles are niggles, or a symptom of the season as you say.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Do you ever do yoga? It's not just great for the head and really thinking about what's going on with you, but holding the poses might help you recognise if the niggles are niggles, or a symptom of the season as you say.

Just once - and it was very 'mindful', at a time when mindfulness wasn't even a thing. I hated every second. I really should give it another try!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

juke wrote:
    Just once - and it was very 'mindful', at a time when mindfulness wasn't even a thing. I hated every second. I really should give it another try!

If it's any consolation I hated it the first few classes, but kept going cos I'd purchased a months pass!!
    Then I found a place I liked more, smaller, less people and it really started to work for me. More expensive is the only downside but personally I find it worth it. Could be spending it on worse eh?!

We'll be getting away from the darkness soon enough hopefully too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Crap. How's the shin/ankle feeling now?

eyrie wrote: »
    Crap. How's the shin/ankle feeling now?

Ok thanks, the odd twinge, and heels are a no no.

It's like a shin splint pain, but on the front of the ankle. My running mentor helpfully suggested a stress fracture :rolleyes::D

Plan is an easy run Thursday to see how it is and depending on that, Physio. So fingers crossed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Fingers crossed juke that it's not too serious. It is hard this time of year, i'd agree with that, but there's some light (excuse the pun) at the end of the tunnel in recent days i think, a noticeable change in both the evenings and mornings.

Advertisement