Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear is the key

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Sat 29 – No gym. Well, I was never doing an hour of weights followed by a long run :rolleyes:
    Run, 13.5k. Not the easiest today, spent most of the time thinking about the distance run and the distance still to do. Not really helped by the mapmyrun app completely going mad and telling me I was way ahead of myself doing just short of 16k @ 06.28 pace. I wish. Time to ditch the app.

A lovely lady, late 60’s went out of her way to get my attention and encourage me along. So kind. Not quite the same as S.L.F. being approached for a date, but still…:pac:

Sun 30 – played support to a buddy in a powerlifting comp in Belfast, long day, but she's promised to do jelly-bean duty in my long races, so I think it's a fair trade.

Mon 31 – Gym, deadlifts (double bodyweight - nice to be back at that weight again), bench, guillotine bench, one arm row.

Tue 1 – Life got in the way, so rest.

Wed 2 – Skip gym, kept getting abdominal stitches every time I moved & mixing that with heavy squats wouldn’t have been pretty.
    It's a medical condition I have that really just needs management, and somehow I slipped up over the past couple of weeks.

Thu 3 – 8.3k. Felt like I hadn’t run in ages. Felt very slow, but my splits were fast enough. Beautiful evening.

Fri 4 – 7.6k. very humid. Picked a slightly hilly route – and tackled a small hill twice (Taylor’s Lane). A few months ago I had to stop at the top, it nearly killed me.

29.4k for the week, about 5k less that scheduled, but I guess that’s going to happen. Hoping for a better week ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭S.L.F.

juke wrote: »
    A lovely lady, late 60’s went out of her way to get my attention and encourage me along. So kind. Not quite the same as S.L.F. being approached for a date, but still…:pac:

Nothing wrong with a mature experienced woman :pac:

Week 6

Sat 5 – Gym, squat & bench (light, high volume), DB floor press, single arm cable rows.

Sun 6 – Run, 14.5k. This was very mixed. The route I chose along the canal was the problem. K1, fine, k2, stony – large stones, surface very uneven, feet and ankles began to hurt. Turned back and tried the opposite side: K4, track surface fine – but pretty overgrown, not enough room for 2 people abreast. I also felt nervous. No-one was about at all, so I felt very isolated. K5 turned back. Did the rest on the roads, not really knowing where I was, but just determined to get to 14k done.

Note to self: when running an hour from home/shower and the forecast is rain, maybe pack some dry clothes for the drive home.

Mon 7
    AM - Gym, deadlifts, bench, guillotine bench, one arm row, followed by afternoon nap.
    PM - 5k run. Legs felt heavy, not surprising really, after this morning and yesterday, so glad to get it done.

Tue 8 – 7k. Really had to talk myself into this one, lovely evening, so glad I got out.

Wed 9 – Gym, squat day. Squat, paused squats, bench (‘cos gym coachy hates me), good mornings. Mini unexpected squat test – 100k x 2, which is a PB. I can smell 110k, smell it!

Thu 10 – rest. Tune up with sports therapist. Unscheduled drinks :o

Fri 11 – plan was 8k, plan was also to be off work, neither panned out :(

Week 7

Sat 12 – 14.75k, run 14. It didn’t go well.

Plan was 15k Sunday. I wanted to do at least 15.5. Woke feeling off, dehydrated, I hadn’t slept much. Decided to skip gym and do a long run instead, and go to the gym Sunday. Couldn’t face breakfast. Managed to eat a decent albeit late lunch and set out in the afternoon. The run just seemed laboured, legs heavy. I had to stop a couple of time at the top of hills…haven’t needed to do that in ages.

Then at 14k my legs just gave up, I could barely walk back to the car, legs and feet resisted all the way. If I had sat down, I’d still be in the park now :o

While out (as usual), I just concentrated on the distance, once home I saw the splits were fast enough – maybe too fast. Heart-rate was higher than usual.

I felt a bit demoralised. However, thinking it through, Friday was a messy day, food erratic. I hadn’t got out for a run. I then slept badly. I also hadn’t drunk enough water. I was so determined to get out and not waste another day. I probably should have just concentrated on eating, re-hydrating and gone out for few easy ks, and stuck with the plan to do the long run tomorrow.

Hopefully a lesson learned.

Week 7

Sat 12 – 14.75k, run 14. It didn’t go well.

Plan was 15k Sunday. I wanted to do at least 15.5. Woke feeling off, dehydrated, I hadn’t slept much. Decided to skip gym and do a long run instead, and go to the gym Sunday. Couldn’t face breakfast. Managed to eat a decent albeit late lunch and set out in the afternoon. The run just seemed laboured, legs heavy. I had to stop a couple of time at the top of hills…haven’t needed to do that in ages.

Then at 14k my legs just gave up, I could barely walk back to the car, legs and feet resisted all the way. If I had sat down, I’d still be in the park now :o

While out (as usual), I just concentrated on the distance, once home I saw the splits were fast enough – maybe too fast. Heart-rate was higher than usual.

I felt a bit demoralised. However, thinking it through, Friday was a messy day, food erratic. I hadn’t got out for a run. I then slept badly. I also hadn’t drunk enough water. I was so determined to get out and not waste another day. I probably should have just concentrated on eating, re-hydrating and gone out for few easy ks, and stuck with the plan to do the long run tomorrow.

Hopefully a lesson learned.

I know exactly how you feel, you did get almost all of it done so don't beat yourself up. You are progressing really well especially in the gym. Congrats on the PB, fantastic work!

• Advertisement

Diary of a sick hamster

Sun 13 – Run, 5k. It went ok, I really just wanted to get out and do something after yesterday. I wore my Fingal 10k top. Why are the necks on the race t-shirts so high/tight? Felt claustrophobic.

Mon 14 – woke feeling dehydrated, sore throat, headache. De-load week at the gym (just as well), also had to work late and had a couple of dizzy spells, so this ended up as a rest day.

Tue 15 – mare of a day at work, throat & head getting worse, home. Messaged coachy asking should I go for an easy few k or rest. Fell asleep before he replied (telling me to rest, of course).

Wed-Fri - sick - viral throat infection. My voice is gone. Strained a muscle in my back – coughing :eek:. Feeling very sorry for myself.

One positive, can’t really eat, so dipping well below 60k on the scales :rolleyes:

Diary of a sick hamster

Sun 13 – Run, 5k. It went ok, I really just wanted to get out and do something after yesterday. I wore my Fingal 10k top. Why are the necks on the race t-shirts so high/tight? Felt claustrophobic.

Mon 14 – woke feeling dehydrated, sore throat, headache. De-load week at the gym (just as well), also had to work late and had a couple of dizzy spells, so this ended up as a rest day.

Tue 15 – mare of a day at work, throat & head getting worse, home. Messaged coachy asking should I go for an easy few k or rest. Fell asleep before he replied (telling me to rest, of course).

Wed-Fri - sick - viral throat infection. My voice is gone. Strained a muscle in my back – coughing :eek:. Feeling very sorry for myself.

One positive, can’t really eat, so dipping well below 60k on the scales :rolleyes:

Get well soon Juke and drink Honey and Lemon in warm water.

Diary of a sad hamster

Sat 19, Sun 20 – slow recovery, still feel rubbish. 5k walk on Sunday, very leisurely pace, followed by a 2 hour sleep :eek:

Mon 21, make it to work but have to leave early. No gym.

Tue 22, Run, 4.9k. Legs felt heavy and it was very warm. Needed to get out though. Cough almost gone. I have signed up to do the FD10 mile on Saturday – but really not sure I have the confidence for it.

Diary of a sad hamster

Sat 19, Sun 20 – slow recovery, still feel rubbish. 5k walk on Sunday, very leisurely pace, followed by a 2 hour sleep :eek:

Those naps are addictive

S.L.F. wrote: »
    Those naps are addictive

When you get to my age, needs must :pac:

Wed 23, - gym, squat bench, one arm row, incline dumbbell bench.

Thus 24 - rest, squat doms beginning to set in in the evening.

Fri 25 – squat doms are bad. Dunno if it was that coupled with not being 100% recovered, but I went for a run, 4.5k – I’d say I managed to run less than 2. Heart rate was very high, legs hurt.

Not doing the FD10 mile tomorrow. Gave away my entry (sorry, know it’s frowned upon :o my PB will be impressive, I expect!). Run-coachy wants me to do a 10k tempo on Sunday instead. He says he factored in a least 1 week off running for whatever reason in the 12 week plan, so I am trying not to panic.

I feel pizza and wine coming on this evening.

• Advertisement

Sat 26 – legs still pretty sore, gym, light squats, guillotine bench, dumbbell floor press, one arm cable rows.

Sun 27 – run, fast 5k. Not the 10k plan. It was over 22 degrees, I was overheating, heart rate was high. Disappointed with myself for not pushing more, took ages to get my heart rate back to normal after.

Later went for a drive recce of the DCM half route. Oh man, the first half…:eek:

Mon 28 – Gym, deadlift, bench, floor press, Chinese DB rows, tricep pushdowns.

Tue 29 – Run, 9.3k. Felt pretty good, finally. That throat infection clearly was lingering more than I thought. Feet were a bit sore – explained by a 4k walk earlier (in my work heels:o), when I went to visit a client and decided to walk instead of drive.

Feeling like I’m playing serious catch up now. No point in panicking – all I can do is get as many miles in as I can over the next couple of weeks and do my best on the 23rd.

Later went for a drive recce of the DCM half route. Oh man, the first half…:eek:

I havn't signed up for it yet, am half thinking of leaving it but maybe I should do a recce myself as well.

Glad you're recovered by the way.

I havn't signed up for it yet, am half thinking of leaving it but maybe I should do a recce myself as well.

Glad you're recovered by the way.

Thanks :) You already do a fair bit of hill work, right? It will be fine for you, I have full confidence! I tried to add a few extra uphills tonight, psychologically, a hard 10k uphill followed by an easy 11k downhill...sure that's doable right :eek:?

Wed 30 – Gym, squats, weighted lunges, hamstring curls, back extension, hammer curls.

Thu 31 – Rest. Spend the quality free time going to Aldi in rush hour to buy their Vintage Irish Cheddar. Queue for 10 minutes to get out of the carpark, finally get home and as I unpack the chocolate, tiramisu, wine, steak, frozen berries, gluten free cookies and frozen herbs, I noticed I forgot the silly cheese. fml :(

Fri 1 – Run, 9k. Loving the cooler weather, disappointed to see the new 8pm closing time at the park. Autumn is here.

23.5k for the week, too low, but at least back running comfortably, with a normal heart rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I made the mistake of watching the course preview during the week. Oh, lort :eek:

Sat 2 – Gym, Shiny new plan: Legpress, RDL’s, Lat pulldown, Bench (wide grip), Core.

Sun 3 – Run, 17.2k, average pace 7.23.
    So very happy to get this done, the last 5k was a real challenge and even though it felt like I was barely walking at that stage, my splits were pretty constant. I’ve never run as much, the body is tired.

Followed by cheesecake and an epsom salts bath and snooze for the 2nd half of the All Ireland.

Sat 2 – Gym, Shiny new plan: Legpress, RDL’s, Lat pulldown, Bench (wide grip), Core.

Sun 3 – Run, 17.2k, average pace 7.23.
    So very happy to get this done, the last 5k was a real challenge and even though it felt like I was barely walking at that stage, my splits were pretty constant. I’ve never run as much, the body is tired.

Followed by cheesecake and an epsom salts bath and snooze for the 2nd half of the All Ireland.

Thats a great improvement in mileage Juke, you're almost ready for the half now.

You got the cheesecake and I bought a scone which I'll have after my own epson salt bath. ;)

Sun 3, continued – 10pm – My body decided to reject my dinner – 6 hours of throwing up later, I was so over it :mad:! OH was sympathetic for the first hour or so, then he went to sleep :rolleyes: Haven’t pinpointed a cause.

Mon 4 – rest (aka sleep most of the day), can’t really face food.

I’ve gone over 12 months healthy, and now, 5 days off work in the space of a just couple of weeks. Am I doing too much too quickly? Should I quit the lifting? The OH is demanding I give up this marathon running lark (‘I am a f’n nutter’) but really, I think I’ve just been unlucky. I haven’t taken holidays yet this year (just 3 days), so a break with some sun at the end of the month is something I am really looking forward to.

Tue 5 – on the mend again. Rest.

Wed 6 – Gym, squat, bench, weighted lunges, Chinese DB rows.
    My gym got a new toy - a treadmill :eek: I've never run on one, so looking forward to testing my max speed and failing spectacularly.

Sun 3, continued – 10pm – My body decided to reject my dinner – 6 hours of throwing up later, I was so over it :mad:! OH was sympathetic for the first hour or so, then he went to sleep :rolleyes: Haven’t pinpointed a cause.

Mon 4 – rest (aka sleep most of the day), can’t really face food.

I’ve gone over 12 months healthy, and now, 5 days off work in the space of a just couple of weeks. Am I doing too much too quickly? Should I quit the lifting? The OH is demanding I give up this marathon running lark (‘I am a f’n nutter’) but really, I think I’ve just been unlucky. I haven’t taken holidays yet this year (just 3 days), so a break with some sun at the end of the month is something I am really looking forward to.

Tue 5 – on the mend again. Rest.

Wed 6 – Gym, squat, bench, weighted lunges, Chinese DB rows.
    My gym got a new toy - a treadmill :eek: I've never run on one, so looking forward to testing my max speed and failing spectacularly.

Hi Juke, sorry to hear about your sickness. Its an awful feeling when your vomiting.
    Have you been feeling run down or over stressing the body lately?
    I usually find when I get ill that it was actually building up for a while and
    I find its more stress from work rather than exercise thats the culprit.
    Then again you cant just stop working to make room for hobbies, would be nice though ;)

Hi Juke, sorry to hear about your sickness. Its an awful feeling when your vomiting.
    Have you been feeling run down or over stressing the body lately?
    I usually find when I get ill that it was actually building up for a while and
    I find its more stress from work rather than exercise thats the culprit.
    Then again you cant just stop working to make room for hobbies, would be nice though ;)

Thanks. My OH may have poisoned me :pac:

On times that I have been run down over the last few years - it usually translated in the gym, with bad sessions (where I couldn't even replicate, let alone improve, a previous session) but I haven't experienced that recently - on the contrary, weights and reps are increasing nicely.

I've been tired and stressed, but with life's normal stresses, I would have said - nothing particularly more than usual. However, maybe that's something I need to think about. These things do creep up on you!

Thanks. My OH may have poisoned me :pac:

On times that I have been run down over the last few years - it usually translated in the gym, with bad sessions (where I couldn't even replicate, let alone improve, a previous session) but I haven't experienced that recently - on the contrary, weights and reps are increasing nicely.

I've been tired and stressed, but with life's normal stresses, I would have said - nothing particularly more than usual. However, maybe that's something I need to think about. These things do creep up on you!

Yeah, look after yourself.

• Advertisement

Thu 7 – run, 6.6k. Enjoyed it.

Fri 8 – rest

Week 11

Sat 9 – run, 20k. Wet and windy, I enjoyed the first 15. I'm not lying when I say the last 2.5 were a killer, but it was either run or walk back to the car, there was no shortcut, so I ran, was wrecked after. Average split 7.19. Progress.

Sun 10 – rest

Mon 11 – Gym, deadlifts, bench, floor press, Chinese rows. Tough session.

Tue 12 – 6.2k, wet and windy. I was sort of dreading this – remembering my struggle on the last couple of k’s on Saturday. Kept putting it off. Guilt and accountability of this log got me out. Actually – it was lovely. I felt strong.

Wed 13 – Gym, squats, weighted lunges, hamstring curls.

Thu 14 – run, 8.6, fast. Lower back was at me a bit, but I suspect that’s the lifting at play, rather than running.

Fri 15 - rest

And so - into Week 12 and taper:

Sat 16 - run 14k. Suspect my spike in heartrate near Nutgrove was more to do with being chased by 2 dogs rather than the slight incline :o. At 12k I was approached by a random cyclist at the back of Marlay who I assumed was looking for directions …said random cyclist was in fact run-coachy, getting a good glimpse of my purple efforts!

Thu 7 – run, 6.6k. Enjoyed it.

Fri 8 – rest

Week 11

Sat 9 – run, 20k. Wet and windy, I enjoyed the first 15. I'm not lying when I say the last 2.5 were a killer, but it was either run or walk back to the car, there was no shortcut, so I ran, was wrecked after. Average split 7.19. Progress.

Sun 10 – rest

Mon 11 – Gym, deadlifts, bench, floor press, Chinese rows. Tough session.

Tue 12 – 6.2k, wet and windy. I was sort of dreading this – remembering my struggle on the last couple of k’s on Saturday. Kept putting it off. Guilt and accountability of this log got me out. Actually – it was lovely. I felt strong.

Wed 13 – Gym, squats, weighted lunges, hamstring curls.

Thu 14 – run, 8.6, fast. Lower back was at me a bit, but I suspect that’s the lifting at play, rather than running.

Fri 15 - rest

And so - into Week 12 and taper:

Sat 16 - run 14k. Suspect my spike in heartrate near Nutgrove was more to do with being chased by 2 dogs rather than the slight incline :o. At 12k I was approached by a random cyclist at the back of Marlay who I assumed was looking for directions …said random cyclist was in fact run-coachy, getting a good glimpse of my purple efforts!

Excellent, you've just about covered the distance now so all thats left is the showpiece. Good luck next weekend Juke!

Excellent, you've just about covered the distance now so all thats left is the showpiece. Good luck next weekend Juke!

Thanks - looking forward!

Mon 18 – Gym, deadlifts, bench, floor press, Chinese rows.

Tue 19 – run, 5.5k.

Wed 20 - gym, with firm instructions not to tire legs: bench (volume), reverse press ups, sled pulls (back work only), barbell shoulder press, dumbbell curls, dead hangs. Upper body is in a heap.

Thu 21 – run, 6.8k. Long day at work, last minute chaos, left late with a splitting headache and found on my drive home, for the first time ever, that I really wanted to go for a run to clear my head.

Had a chat with run-coachy about strategy for Saturday. In my head, I thought I’d run behind the 2.20 pacers, but instructions are to go out with the 2.10 pacers in my sights and do my best.

Wedding tomorrow – which isn’t ideal timing (I booked the half first, bride & groom are very inconsiderate:P) but at least it’s in Dublin. Aiming for a few k jog in the morning, to eat plenty of food and have an early night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Best of luck at the weekend J,

Enjoy it!! :D

Thanks - may need a tune up after :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Best of luck Juke!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

The very best of luck tomorrow. Hope it goes well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Good luck!

Come on the Juke

• Advertisement

SSEA Dublin Half Marathon

Up at 7, porridge & coffee.

Had a friend drop me off, thankfully, so made it on time for the start. Otherwise, I would have been goosed. I went straight to the start – so missed the chaos in ‘the field’ at Newbridge Demesne. This did mean I’d no idea when to expect the pacers pass through. The tannoy called for the first wave, so I and hundreds of others hung back and allowed the thousands pass, after about 20 minutes a marshal told us ‘there are no waves – just start when you want’.

Start
    Set off and hit the start at 10.17, no sign of any pacers behind me, but I know the 2.00 had gone ahead ages before.

Settled into a fastish but comfortable pace, but plenty people were passing me by. Had my own 250ml drink with me (my own bcaa’s & electrolytes) fresh from the freezer when I got up) so I ignored the first water stop, and the informal one at Lusk. I found the first 8k very warm/humid, the tailwind very mild.

The 2.10 pacers passed me at about 5-6k. Their pace was too hot for me on the hills, though I had them in my sights for good while.

Ploughed on, found the hills at 8k and the lead up to the Man O War tough, slowed to a walk at each for about 10 seconds, even though the voice in my head was screaming at me.

Middle
    My friend was to be waiting for me at the man O War…and those demon thoughts of jumping into her car crept in. Got a fresh cold drink from her (she said the water station there only got a delivery of about 300 bottles). It did me until the end, glad I wasn’t relying on a course supply - 'cos I saw no other station. I also had 3-4 jellies.

Headed for the downhill, which initially was great, but (I’m such a lightweight) as it phased out, I really felt the tiredness creep in. Loved the headwind, it kept me cool.

End
    Got a stitch in my side at about 8k, and at 15k it really began to be noticeable. Could really have used a loo. Struggled on, found the last 2k hard, but I just kept my eyes a few feet in front of me and counted steps to the finish.

By an amazing fluke, my OH saw me finish and after a while trying to find my friend (no phone/data signal), gave up and we set off home – or at least we did after over 1.15minutes stuck in the car park. I got out of the car to walk/stretch for part of that, as I was aching sitting in the car.

Support from locals was great. Marshals were great. Traffic management not good.

Not sure how I feel, if I'm honest. Will digest over the next few days.

21.1k, 2.16.23, 6.28 avg. split

6:13.2, 6:11.6, 6:28.8, 6:29.7, 6:25.1, 6:26.5, 6:44.4, 6:53.8, 6:57.7, 6:24.7, 7:24.9, 6:03.5, 5:58.7, 5:56.1, 6:16.7, 6:30.3, 6:32.5, 6:23.8, 6:29.1, 6:23.6, 6:27.4, 0:41.1

Advertisement