Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear is the key

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭S.L.F.

Sounds like you thought the race prep out well Juke which was great.
    Well done on the finish, are you happy with your result?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

S.L.F. wrote: »
    Sounds like you thought the race prep out well Juke which was great.
    Well done on the finish, are you happy with your result?

Thanks.

You know, I'm not sure. In my heart, I am a faster runner. When I was considering pace, my head told me anything under 2.20 would be amazing, but somehow I feel a bit deflated.

Maybe that's common for first timers?

juke wrote: »
    Thanks.

You know, I'm not sure. In my heart, I am a faster runner. When I was considering pace, my head told me anything under 2.20 would be amazing, but somehow I feel a bit deflated.

Yeah, i'd say it is. I had that experience too when I did my first half.
    But you have to put it in perspective, you've never done this mileage before so the goal is to finish in one piece.

If you enjoyed the event you will probably want to do another to try to beat your time.

My one and only motivation to get some speed in was the year when my sister who never runs but is six years younger than me decided to do the half and the marathon. I decided after that I would have to beat her time to salvage some respect :D

Yeah, i'd say it is. I had that experience too when I did my first half.
    But you have to put it in perspective, you've never done this mileage before so the goal is to finish in one piece.

If you enjoyed the event you will probably want to do another to try to beat your time.

My one and only motivation to get some speed in was the year when my sister who never runs but is six years younger than me decided to do the half and the marathon. I decided after that I would have to beat her time to salvage some respect :D

That's motivation alright :pac:

You are right, I have run faster than I have ever done before. I finished the race without injury. Just need my heart to slow down to my brain's pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Thanks.

Yep - I think it is. I've actually never had that sense of jubilation or excitement after I've raced a half. I always thought it was time related but now I think it's just cuz we've put our bodies through a lot and they're tired!

Our race experiences and reports are really similar! We both suffered the dreaded stitch and seemed to walk at similar points. And, of course you got tired after the course started to level out, you'd just run your heart out to get there ;)

I think a big congratulations are in order. It seems to me like you raced a great race :)

• Advertisement

Thanks.
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Our race experiences and reports are really similar!

That struck me too! If we'd met, we could have compared symptoms along the way :pac:

The support on here is great for putting thoughts in perspective. Effectively, 6 months after starting to run regularly, I ran 21k. I'm 47 not 27. I can get faster, but I need to put in the work and that takes time.

Body is recovering, very sore toe plus 3-4 bites are the worst effects. Am I the only person who gets nasty bites running? :(

Instead of a recovery run yesterday, I went for an almost windless sail for a few hours. But I kept my feet up.

8geuxUKWXV84ejvhmHvmrueTu1F2BDiug3n9eoCEHEY?size=256x256&size_mode=2
    HlQCKXIba-lJS_jcYj_LIKx4A4P0tZ1dOcqysOoxLxU%2Crq4ZKkv9PdkfYVau3t8Ud63jfPJqEP4NZgtgQYHDTxU?size=256x256&size_mode=2
    9OMtthza_rdn7nJQLPbjKwtUqTNSrhyuPmx1Hp8s3NE?size=256x256&size_mode=2

I've a week's holiday in Greece coming up. I'm not bringing my runners. I've just printed off holiday tips for the island that an A&R stalwart gave me months ago.

Hope to get out today and tomorrow for a gently jog, but holiday mode has certainly set in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Thanks.

I'd say its pretty common for more than first timers. Congratulations on your race..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I've a week's holiday in Greece coming up. I'm not bringing my runners. I've just printed off holiday tips for the island that an A&R stalwart gave me months ago.

Oooh bring em!!!! some of the best runs I've ever had have been away on holidays, it's a fantastic way to see the country and you're on your holiers so can enjoy a nice gentle jog without worrying about paces etc :)

Well done on your first half!!! Don't be too disappointed, you achieved a result better than you'd originally though (congrats!!), the fact that you're not totally happy with that just means you want to go out and do better, good for you but take some time to enjoy your achievement first :).

Oooh bring em!!!! some of the best runs I've ever had have been away on holidays, it's a fantastic way to see the country and you're on your holiers so can enjoy a nice gentle jog without worrying about paces etc :)

Well done on your first half!!! Don't be too disappointed, you achieved a result better than you'd originally though (congrats!!), the fact that you're not totally happy with that just means you want to go out and do better, good for you but take some time to enjoy your achievement first :).

Well I didn't bring them. In my humble and likely faulty opinion, running in early morning in 22 degrees (that's the coolest it got) is just a silly form of punishment :p

Post Holiday, gentle sessions:

Thu 5 - Run, 4k
    Fri 6 - Gym, legpress, RDL’s, LPD’s, wide grip bench, core.
    Sat 7 - Rest
    Sun 8 - Run 4.5k, this was a struggle, self inflicted due to over indulgence yesterday :o
    Mon 9 - Gym, squat, bench, weighted lunges, bar bell rows, overhead triceps.

Toying with the idea of an 8 week 5k training plan, which would take me to Jingle Bells. Not sure how committed I will be, with dark evenings coming in, I seriously doubt I’ll be happy to hit the roads in the dark. Footpaths wouldn’t be the best lit where I live. That said the gym now actually has a treadmill, so that's a pathetic excuse. Bag is packed for tomorrow's post work hill sprints, so hopefully the good intentions pay off.

Tue 10: Leave work late, any excuse! Also legs in a heap. Plan: hill sprints, fail.

Wed 11: Gym, deadlifts, narrow grip lat pull down, incline bench, seated rows, shoulder press.

Thu 12: Plan: 5k, fail – bad feeling about winter mid-week training :o

Fri 13: Plan: gym, fail – worked late and was lazy.

Sat 14: Rest (full day of rugby & John Bishop at the Point).

Sun 15: Run, 8k, 7.04 pace

Mon 16: Gym closed, so rest

Tue 17: 30 min fast (4.7k, 6.23 pace, Avg HR 158, max heart rate 187 – which consoled me a little, cos I felt like I was going to die :eek:) plus bit of a cool down, stretching. Bit of tight right hamstring during k3, but only barely noticeable.

I get warm quickly, so have been struggling with tops – singlet/t-shirts too cold, long sleeve tops too warm. Today I tried a t-shirt with new arm sleeves. It worked well, only took the sleeves off during the last k.

• Advertisement

Wed 18: Gym: Squat, bench, triceps, seated row, straight leg deadlift.

Thu 19: Rest

Fri 20: Rest

Sat 21: Gym: Squat (mixed stance), bench, barbell bent over rows, barbell overhead press, straight leg deadlift, biceps & triceps
    followed by:
    5k tempo (something like 10 min @ 7.5k, 5 min @9k, 10 min @9.5k, 10 min @8k and cooldown).

Popped my treadmill-running cherry – this will take a bit of getting used to.

Sun 22: 8k easy (7.13 k/h) Cool, used the arm sleeves again. Think they are now my favourite piece of kit (after my lifting belt).

Mon 23: Gym: Squat, bench (regular), Lat pull down (narrow grip), bench (narrow grip).

Tue 24: Preoccupied with a planned trip – work and home to pack rather than run.

Wed 24-Sat 28: Away

Sun 29: Sleep.

A bit of TMI – after the DCM half, my toe was very sore around the nail bed, I was due to go on holidays, so I painted my toenails dark blue. I removed the varnish last night – the nail is not long for this life, not long at all. Wish I’d left well alone :o

Mon 30: Gym, Squat, bench, weighted split squats, lat pull down (narrow grip) – tough leg session after a week off, so probably wasn’t the brightest idea to go for run after: did 5k, but only 4k run. Legs just felt too heavy after 3.5. Walked for a bit, and tried to get going again, but it was very stop/start.

Tue 31: Trick or treat duty

Wed 1: Gym; deadlift, Incline bench, t-bar rows, sumo-deadlift, bicep curls, Run 10min fast on the treadmill.

Pathetic week+ :(

Thu 2-Sun 5: big fat fail.

Mon 6: Gym - Squat, bench (regular), Lat pull down (narrow grip), weighted split squats. 15 min @ 6.40 pace, cool down.

Tue 7: Tight left hamstring, mildly irritating.

Wed 8: Hamstring was grand. Gym; deadlift, Incline bench, t-bar rows, sumo-deadlift, hammer curls.

Thu 9/Fri 10: rest

Sat 11: Gym, Squat, Bench, Barbell bent over rows, Barbell overhead press, Straight leg deadlift, biceps & triceps followed by 6k run @ 7.00 p/k.

Sun 12, Run, 10k. Legs feel heavy, stiff, glutes especially. Tough going, wanted to turn back after 10 minutes, it was cold and windy. I was being pathetic, remembering the mix of cocktail, wine and beer last night :o. I struggled on - it wasn't really that bad, but I had to take 2 v. short walking breaks, ended with an avg 6.59 p/k.

Mon 13: Gym, Squat, bench (regular), Lat pull down (narrow grip), weighted split squats. Left knee feels wrong…hurt during the final split squat rep, and now the back of my knee feels a tiny bit strained.

Tue 14: sore knee – not helped by the work building fire alarm going off, so I have to walk all the steps, and later a funeral in Glasnevin Cemetery – that place is massive.

Wed 15: Early appointment with my trusty sports therapist: I’m sure he meant well.
    One very painful session later, I’m officially broke (and not financially ;)). I have damaged my Popliteus muscle and sprained my LCL (hoping I heard him right, great to know these even exist).

I’m allowed use the spin bike :confused: later in the week. Out of any real action for 3 weeks though :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Ah no :( sorry to hear that Juke, hopefully it will only be 3 weeks and you'll be back in action then.

Ah no :( sorry to hear that Juke, hopefully it will only be 3 weeks and you'll be back in action then.

Me too - my running has been pretty sporadic - hope this doesn't make it go into freefall.

Me too - my running has been pretty sporadic - hope this doesn't make it go into freefall.

Sorry to hear you’re injured. Hopefully a wee break will only whet your appetite for more running.

Sorry to hear you’re injured. Hopefully a wee break will only whet your appetite for more running.

Fingers crossed :)

Last month, little to report :o. Rehab spin & slow jogs and stretches. Spin biking is not my thing. Lost my mojo and got lazy, skipping gym, which is out of character. Knee is mostly better.

Mon 4: Gym, Squats, bench, Lat pull down (narrow grip), split squats (supported, body weight), incline dumbbell bench press.

Sat 9: Squat, bench, bent over rows, straight leg deadlift, overhead press, biceps, triceps, 25 min treadmill, 15 min hard.

Mon 11, Gym, deadlifts, bench, close grip lat. pull down, incline dumbbell bench press.

Wed 13, Gym, squat, t-bar row, single arm overhead press, leg extension (to build stability in vmo), dumbbell floor flies (yuk). 1k on treadmill, 6.40.

Thu 21, Gym, Squat, bench, bent over rows, straight leg deadlift, overhead press.

I had to drag myself to the gym. I’ve had a lot on, December is a tough month. Work is always full-on. I’m wrecked, physically and emotionally. I also go nuts :eek:.

Without fail, I let myself become so sucked into the pressure of present buying etc. it’s all I think about. Thankfully, I now go away for Christmas. I vividly remember having a near melt down one year because I couldn’t find an affordable table cloth, like do people even use tablecloths??? I was hosting Christmas dinner for 4 family, who genuinely couldn’t have given a hoot. That made no difference :confused:. And that was before I worked on the 2 stuffings, 2 varieties of potato, 5 veg etc for the meal, don’t get me started on the bird/ham.

The pressure now is packing and exchanging presents with family in the run up. Next week will be fairly active (skiing) and hopefully, January: new year, new me. I haven’t set any goals yet. Some thinking to be done. Disappointed with the last 2 months, but a least they will be easy to improve!

Enjoy your trip, great time to get away if you don't have small kids.
    I can completely empathise with you on the cooking front, not my forte either.

• Advertisement

We are own worst enemies :)

Have a good break too....and revisit your log maybe?

Juke, where are you..how was your holiday and how is the training going?

Juke, where are you..how was your holiday and how is the training going?

*Shamed into going for a run....:o\

Back to reality - busy 2 days family duty after a week’s skiing. Then work.

Skiing was fantastic. Knee gave a bit of trouble in the afternoons, not while skiing, but when we got on the lifts, the weight of the ski and boot was just too much for my knee. The lift journey’s became agony.

I had planned to log here when I got back, but I got annoyed by daft fan-boy posts on the fitness forum, so I just logged off boards.

Goals are not set for this year. I’m not sure what I want to do. With lifting – that’s easy, but running I just don’t know. Last year taught me that I can’t combine the two the way I would like.

I want to run a marathon, but I greatly fear that I lack the strength to put my all into the training – which means I would never be happy, regardless of the result. I still have time before the 5 0 target I have set myself (late next year) but the reality is I’d need to give up heavy lifting for 4-6 months. I don’t want to. I feel like a stubborn 4 year-old, I want to jump up and down and shout ‘it’s not fair’ :pac:

I too have put on a few kilo’s – my solution is just to ignore the scales :p

This week
    Wed 3: Gym, easily the hardest session I have ever done – more to do with holiday excesses than training.

Sat 6: 6k slow jog, 7.53 pace. Cold, but felt good. No knee niggles.

Back to reality - busy 2 days family duty after a week’s skiing. Then work.

Skiing was fantastic. Knee gave a bit of trouble in the afternoons, not while skiing, but when we got on the lifts, the weight of the ski and boot was just too much for my knee. The lift journey’s became agony.

I had planned to log here when I got back, but I got annoyed by daft fan-boy posts on the fitness forum, so I just logged off boards.

Goals are not set for this year. I’m not sure what I want to do. With lifting – that’s easy, but running I just don’t know. Last year taught me that I can’t combine the two the way I would like.

I want to run a marathon, but I greatly fear that I lack the strength to put my all into the training – which means I would never be happy, regardless of the result. I still have time before the 5 0 target I have set myself (late next year) but the reality is I’d need to give up heavy lifting for 4-6 months. I don’t want to. I feel like a stubborn 4 year-old, I want to jump up and down and shout ‘it’s not fair’ :pac:

I too have put on a few kilo’s – my solution is just to ignore the scales :p

This week
    Wed 3: Gym, easily the hardest session I have ever done – more to do with holiday excesses than training.

Sat 6: 6k slow jog, 7.53 pace. Cold, but felt good. No knee niggles.

Glad you enjoyed the holiday. Sure just keep ticking over with some runs in the meantime to keep your fitness up. Sure you don't have to target anything, might be enough to just do it for your health.

But if you do decide to do something running wise, it will be a lot easier for you if you keep up the consistency.

That's where I'm at, at the moment myself. Only goal is to get fitter and see what happens in a few months.

Mind that knee :)

Will be a fair while before my fitness comes back! I'll plod along for the month and re-assess.

Good also to see you logging again.

Keeping my log alive and myself accountable.

Saw this on facebook

26991990_2149784745242605_8999223646007925361_n.png?oh=2595acfe00c182d679493bf118cc42de&oe=5AF5D939

Keeping my log alive and myself accountable.

Saw this on facebook

26991990_2149784745242605_8999223646007925361_n.png?oh=2595acfe00c182d679493bf118cc42de&oe=5AF5D939

This was timely. I was teetering on the edge of not running last night and this pushed me out the door :)

This was timely. I was teetering on the edge of not running last night and this pushed me out the door :)

Excellent!

You are doing great - putting my short jaunts on the treadmill to shame!

• Advertisement

Still plodding along - but not enough to merit logging here. Lifting is going very well.

My knee is still acting up, particularly for the last week and I'm smothered with a cold. Time off work today has given me time to put a plan together for the next 10-12 weeks.

Combining my lifting with running, it's a plan based on Alex Viada's The Hybrid Athlete. It concentrates most of the heavy (stressful) sessions/days together. From reading, I know that wouldn't be the case with a lot of running plans. But, I'll give it a go and hope for the best :D

I've no doubt it will need tweaking as I go along, but for now

Gym Run
    Mon Squat/bench Intervals
    Tue Rest Tempo Run
    Wed Deadlift/bench Rest
    Thu Rest Rest
    Fri Misc. accessory Tempo Run???
    Sat Rest Long slow run
    Sun Rest Recovery run

Tune up tomorrow with my sports therapist, who I hope is not going to tell me to stop wearing heels, if my knee is to fully recover...I like heels :o

Thinking about entering the Terenure 5 mile and looking at the SSEA race series. DC Marathon decision won't be made for quite some time.

Advertisement