Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear is the key

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I'll be very interested to hear how you get on with the combining plan! I've fallen completely out of the habit of lifting but I used to do it and always struggled with how to balance it with running. Really need to get back to it now!

Hope the session with the sports therapist goes well and your heels are safe ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

eyrie wrote: »
    I'll be very interested to hear how you get on with the combining plan! I've fallen completely out of the habit of lifting but I used to do it and always struggled with how to balance it with running. Really need to get back to it now!

Hope the session with the sports therapist goes well and your heels are safe ;)

They don't fit naturally together, that's for sure! I'm going to give the plan a go, if it's too stressful, I can re-think, but it's worth a try.

Knee diagnosis, sprained MCL, most likely from skiing. Full permission to train and wear heels*, rehab exercises given.

Sun 25: 8k, slow @ 8.05;
    My splits were all over the place. Baltic, my sleeves were covering my watch and it was too distracting to keep checking pace. I also ran a bit on grass to try and force myself to slow down - which probably also was a cause. I still have a bit of a cough after my cold last week, but on the whole, feel good.

Week one of the new plan starts tomorrow - nervous of the weather to come. Nervous of squat day tomorrow - doms will be bad. Very nervous of the intervals afterwards! This new plan may crash and burn :D

*Disclaimer: May not actually be a true and correct translation of the advice given.

Week 1
    Mon: Gym, Squat (75), bench (35), lat pull-down, narrow grip bench
    followed by Intervals:
    I wasn’t really sure how to approach these, complete newby. In the end, given I’d just finished squats, I decided to keep it short and not too hard (or risk refusing to do them ever again). I also figured that I was well warmed up.
    So: 1 lap @ 7.30, 6 x 200m @ 5.30, (rest was walking until HR went back to 120 - got shorter as I went on, but all walks were under 200m). Final lap @ 7.30.
    All ended up being 2.5k. Max HR 171, avg 141.

Note to self: Gym bra =/= running bra, ouch :eek:

It definitely could have been a lot harder - but as an introduction, I’m happy enough. I will increase the distances to 300m next week, possibly change the walk to a jog and see how it goes.

This is where the week 1 ended & life got in the way. My OH’s mother had a stroke, the snow came, fitness came from digging out the car, 3 times :rolleyes: and helping dig out a path out of the estate….living on a hill has its disadvantages.

Week 2
    Not much better. Severe muscle soreness and stress tiredness had me skip the gym & run both Monday, and Tuesday.

Wed: gym, Squat, bench, arrived late, stressed. Felt tougher than it should have.

Thu, Fri - life got in the way.

Sat: gym, accessory work, tough session, followed by 8k @ 7.49

Sun: Run, easy 5k @ 7.36
    Visit the mammies, mine is ill, sucker punched, hopefully an infection and nothing sinister, OH’s making fantastic progress. Life these days really making me think about family and mortality.

Hopefully week 3 gets me back in to a proper routine and I actually complete a full week of the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Hope your mum and your OH's mum get better soon. Sounds like a torrid few weeks of it.

Oh gosh, sorry to hear this news. Hope they both recover quickly.

• Advertisement

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Hope your mum and your OH's mum get better soon. Sounds like a torrid few weeks of it.
    Oh gosh, sorry to hear this news. Hope they both recover quickly.

Thanks guys...we just have to keep plugging away.

Week 3
    Mon:Gym, Squat (80), bench (35), lat pull-down, narrow grip bench. Had to switch intervals to later in the week.

Tue:
    Plan Tempo (20 min @ HM pace, 6.28)
    Actual: 1k warm up with some drills, 3k tempo (6.28, 6.29, 6.19), passed the front gates of the park, closed...then I realised the time 18.10, the park was closed & I was 1.5k+ from my car :eek: I panicked, my heart rate soared, I couldn’t run, and I’d no idea how much leeway the park rangers give eegits like me… I had visions of trying to scale the gate and was wondering how I’d get to work tomorrow at 7am with no car. I got to the carpark at 18.20, the exit gate was open, with just mine and one other car left.
    HR Avg 153, Max 179 (while hurrying to the car - let’s call that 1.5k the cool down) :o

Wed: Gym, Deadlift (100), bench (wider grip), one arm row, seated row, followed by Intervals.
    Not ideal doing these after deadlifting, but ...
    1 lap @ 7.30, 6 x 300m @ 5.30, (rest was fast walking for 200m). Cool down. 30 min odd. HR Avg 144, Max 179.
    Really felt this in my left hamstring during last 2 reps. Loads of stretching after.

Thu: Rest

Fri: Leave work late, skip gym & head home.

Sat:
    Gym, accessory work followed by 30 min treadmill 7.30 pace, 1% incline. Garmin recorded it at 7.12 pace, which I don’t understand.
    Tired after, head off for a Rugby extravaganza.

Sun: Snow, I’m hibernating until tomorrow at least, there shall be no digging for me, OH needs to learn how to do it! Left knee feels a bit tender, so best to rest it anyway :P

Week 4

Mon: Gym, Squat (80 for 4), bench (40), lat pull-down, narrow grip bench. Good session, Followed by
    1 lap @ 7.30, 7 x 300m @ 5.30, (recovery was fast walking for 200m). Cool down. 30 min odd. HR Avg 130, Max 144 - Garmin must have been under-recording, I was wrecked. After the odd readings from Saturday, I may re-set it.

Re-discovered the wonder that is a post training hot epsom salts bath.

Wed: Mixed day. Got my next stage MCL rehab exercises. I am very clumsy at best, I have poor balance and zero spacial awareness. I have a near permanent bruise on my forearm, from banging against the kitchen door-handle, in the house I’ve lived in for nearly 13 years.

So, rehab...hop, I’m told, HOP?????.

Serious suspicion my sports therapist has a running bet with gym coachy to see who can make me fall over the most often. :rolleyes:

Gym, deadlift (105), had to quit after 2 sets, though, I ripped a callus. Ouch :( Followed with wide grip bench, one arm row, triceps.
    Followed by 10 min tempo (6.30) on the treadmill, wasn’t feeling the love, everything was pretending to ache, shins, hamstrings, feet, favourite running bra decided to be useless, so I called it a day and went home to give my hand some tlc.

Dunno what changes I have made to my deadlift, but the immediate ache in my right buttock for the last few weeks for 2 days after each session is making me feel very, very old.

Fri:
    Gym, accessory work, did some more hopping, in front of the mirror this time, it looked truly as inelegant as it felt.

Sat:
    8.5k@ 8.11 pace. Avg HR 145, Max 163. Too short on time to do anymore. Carb loaded later with afternoon tea with my mam.

Today I was late up and 2 coffees didn't get me going, laundry, supermarket & hospital visit later, I went for 'rest' instead of 'recovery'.

In other news, got me a nice new ICE/allergy necklace in silver, bit prettier than the usual dog-tag type ones. Happy out.

Week 5
    Mon: Gym, Squat (sets of 82.5), bench (40), Wide grip lat pull-down, narrow grip bench, triceps. Another good session,
    followed by intervals, 1 lap @ 7.30, 9 x 300m @ 5.30, (recovery 150-200m). Cool down. 40 min odd. HR: avg 141, Max 163

Tue: Run, plan was a tempo run (6.30-6.40), but the legs felt very heavy and heart rate high, I did 5k @ 7.12, but the splits were all over the place, the fastest was 6.42. HR: avg 150, max 179.

Wed: Gym, deadlift (110), wide grip bench, one arm row. I’m in a heap, hamstrings especially. The weird glute pain is of course back....testing out a camogie ball on it. It’s certainly distracting from the original pain :eek: It obviously a nerve issue...not one I’m going to raise with my sports therapist. That would be beyond the call of duty!

Thu rest
    Fri: gym, accessory work.

Sat:
    Parkrun, Just wanted to see where I'm at: 31.34.
    Splits: 6.48 (uphill), 6.02 (downhill), 6.27, 6.34 (had to stop to tie my lace), 5.39;
    HR: ave 164, max 179. Walked the 2k there and jogged home after.

Hamstrings were very stiff, lower back a bit achey, and all I could hear was my own breathing. Coming towards the last 500m or so, the lady who’d been in front of me for the last 1k slowed to a walk, I called at her to keep going, telling her I was following her and that I’d stop if she did. She picked it up and we ran together to the end, and she encouraged me to try a sprint finish, which I wouldn’t have tried otherwise.

That time is about 1.5 minutes faster than this time last year. I ran purely by effort, barely looking at my watch. Time is based off my garmin, rather than official: My parkrun token wouldn’t scan. I crossed the line with the other lady and the official time has me 10 seconds behind her, also I started at the back of the 400+ runners, so it was a good few seconds before I got near the starting line).

Sun: Rest.
    Fed up of not finding shorts with a pocket for my phone, that I like and for a price I’m prepared to pay, I made a pocket today which I can velcro onto each pair I have.
    Then I was off to see Leinster knock Saracans out of the Champions Cup. Bring in the semi-final :D

Not being tied to specific races/goals can backfire at times. Right now, though, I’m grateful.

Life has gotten in the way of gym/running lately. I got out for a run last night for the first time in 2 weeks. I haven’t been to the gym at all. I’ll get back to both when I can, but family is the priority right now. Trying my best not to eat too much.

Where I’m really disappointed and angry with myself is that I’ve stopped doing my mcl rehab exercises - that routine I had pre-gym/run is missing and I’ve completely dropped the ball. After last nights run my knee is a bit sore today.

I have no excuse. Shame on me :(

• Advertisement

Back to the beginning again:

The last few weeks have been full on. The amazing woman that was my mother-in-law passed away after a cruel battle with cancer. This has affected me far more than I ever expected it would.

Between hospital/hospice/family visits and M50 journeys (how do people survive a daily commute on this, I do not know :eek:), there was little time for gym/runs. I have at least been rehabbing my knee, so all is not lost.

I’ve been out for a few runs, but not enough. I hit the gym for the first time in a month this week, so, naturally, now, I can barely walk and stairs are …. a challenge :o.

I don’t really know where I am or what to be doing right now. I had intended to enter the Terenure 5 Mile, but, with, in effect just a week to go, I am woefully underprepared.

I am so far behind where I wanted to be miles wise. My intention had been to be running minimum 30k p/w by now. I had notions of running DCM in October, I wonder now would that be nuts.

I’ve a lot of thinking to do.

Ah, Juke, I’m very sorry to hear about your mother in law.

No need to make a decision on DCM this week or even this month. Plenty of time for that. For now, just look after yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Am in the same boat as yourself, lost my amazing mother in law very suddenly after a brain hemorrhage, she lasted 3 days max after. Remember her for the great lady she is, run in memory of her cause she is no doubt smiling down on top of you.

Thanks guys.
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Ah, Juke, I’m very sorry to hear about your mother in law.

No need to make a decision on DCM this week or even this month. Plenty of time for that. For now, just look after yourself.

I know I don't need to decide yet. I just prefer tohave a plan. Never thought I was a control freak :P
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Am in the same boat as yourself, lost my amazing mother in law very suddenly after a brain hemorrhage, she lasted 3 days max after. Remember her for the great lady she is, run in memory of her cause she is no doubt smiling down on top of you.

The suddenness for you and your wife must have been such a tough shock. While we had a few weeks to prepare, it's the emptiness now that I wasn't expecting.

You are right though. She always said she'd be the angel on our shoulder. I just have to listen to her driving me on.

Really sorry to hear this juke. You've had an awful lot on your plate by the sound of things. The miles etc will come back, don't be worrying about that now. Mind yourself

Really sorry to hear this juke. You've had an awful lot on your plate by the sound of things. The miles etc will come back, don't be worrying about that now. Mind yourself

Thanks eyrie, time and no excuses, I think.

Back plodding along.

Sun 6: Run - 8k, slow - beautiful day. Stuck to the roads - plenty of nods from walkers and cyclists, but fellow runners are not a sociable bunch - most just avoid eye-contact. Felt pretty unfit. HR avg 161 max 185.

Mon 7: Gym - squats/bench/lat pull-down, narrow grip bench, triceps. I was a ball of sweat after that.

Tue 8: Run 5k, including 6 x repeats. Did this at a GAA pitch, no idea of distance, maybe 150m long? Running faster on grass was new. I did the lengths fast, widths walking pace. Just did 6, hamstrings were beginning to cry by then, after yesterday squats. HR avg 148 max 175

Wed 9: Gym - deadlift (hamstrings very unhappy…..just shows the fitness I’ve lost), lat pull-down, bb overhead press, one arm row, something and biceps.

Thu 10: rest
    Fri 11: rest

Sat 12 10k @ 7.44, HR avg 150 max 178. Followed by 3 hours shopping with my niece in Dundrum :eek: Absolutely shattered.

Sun 13 recovery 3.7k @ 7.34, HR avg 148, max 173. More friendly nods from cyclists, more eyes straight ahead from runners. Maybe it’s just me :o

18.7k for the week. Max HR looks bad - but on the slow runs it’s been caused by my last k home, which is all uphill. Disadvantage of living up a hill.

Ordered new runners :) Plan to be made.

Impromptu short break to Portugal week before last, where I ate, drank and chilled.

Mon 28: Gym - squats/bench/narrow grip lat pull-down, narrow grip bench,
    Tue 29: 5k@ 8.17, legs in bits after (squat doms).
    Wed 30: Gym - Gym, deadlift, one arm row, seated row, floor press, biceps,
    Thu, Fri:Rest, legs v tired. I feel old.
    Sat 2: 9k @ 8.02, hot, HR ave 157 max 184
    Sun 3: 5k @8.19, HR ave 148 max 179

Really feel like I lost my mojo for a long while. I was so despondent. Eating rubbish, skipping run/gym sessions, drinking too much. Ignoring logs here - because, you know, the guilt. Whilst I maintained strength levels at the gym, that's all I did. Coachy knew something was amiss.

Anyways, I had a good talking to myself yesterday. I entered DCM 2018 last Feb. but had been refusing to think about it properly. Yesterday, after a good telling off, I finally decided to put my big girl pants back on and I when into the 13 pages that is the DCM novices thread. One that I had been consciously avoiding. 13 pages and the training cycle hasn't even started yet :o Still have a lot of reading to do.

I'm going to train my very, very my best for it. I'm going to eat better and drink less and and I'm going to enjoy the damned lot of it :D

juke wrote: »

Really feel like I lost my mojo for a long while. I was so despondent. Eating rubbish, skipping run/gym sessions, drinking too much. Ignoring logs here - because, you know, the guilt. Whilst I maintained strength levels at the gym, that's all I did.

To be fair, you’d a fairly rough time of it. It’s scarily easy to get out of the swing of things, particularly when you’re out of your normal routine.
    I'm going to train my very, very my best for it. I'm going to eat better and drink less and and I'm going to enjoy the damned lot of it :D

I love this and I really believe you will as well. I was delighted to see your name pop up in the novices’ thread yesterday. Good luck with the training. I’ll be following your log with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

So sorry to read about your mother in law. My condolences to you and your family. A horrible time for you all. I lost my Dad a year ago next week so I know how you are feeling. It's hard to focus on anything only the grief for a long time.

Delighted to read that you have signed up for DCM and have joined us on the Novices thread. It's good to have a goal to focus on and a plan to follow. I will join you in the eat better, drink less and enjoy it all. Planning on doing the same myself.

• Advertisement

gypsylee wrote: »
    So sorry to read about your mother in law. My condolences to you and your family. A horrible time for you all. I lost my Dad a year ago next week so I know how you are feeling. It's hard to focus on anything only the grief for a long time.

Delighted to read that you have signed up for DCM and have joined us on the Novices thread. It's good to have a goal to focus on and a plan to follow. I will join you in the eat better, drink less and enjoy it all. Planning on doing the same myself.

Thanks gypsylee. I remember you posting about your dad last year. A tough time - which if I recall, you helped the grief by running every day for a month. Impressive.

My thoughts are with you for next week.

I'm glad you are on the novices thread too...our times are similar I think. It will be good to compare as we go on :)

Not a bad week for me so far.

Mon 4: Gym - squats (85) bench/lat pull-down, narrow grip bench, triceps. Chatted through my DCM plans with gym coachy - think he’s relieved I’m back.

Tue 5: Run, 8k @ 7.52, HR ave 148 max 175. Developed a blister on the arch of my foot Saturday last, binned those runners (though socks might be the culprit). It was beginning to annoy by the last k. It doesn’t look any worse, but it’s not any better. Regular walking/standing doesn’t bother it.

Wed 6: Gym - deadlifts (90), one arm row, shoulder press, floor press, biceps.

Thu 7: Slow run 3.7k @7.52 HR ave 151 max 173, blister is ichy, so I'm ignoring it. Tired today, lower back a bit uncomfortable after yesterday’s dead’s….however, I also only had 3 hours sleep and then an 11 hour stint at work. No harm to test a run when I’m feeling worn out - as I’m sure I’ll feel a lot worse as this cycle ramps up!

Spending an inordinate amount of time preparing my marathon training spreadsheet. It's like being a leaving cert. student drawing up their study timetable :o Pretty colours, projected totals, seriously ambitious gym attendance....setting me up to crash and burn :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Not a bad week for me so far.

Mon 4: Gym - squats (85) bench/lat pull-down, narrow grip bench, triceps. Chatted through my DCM plans with gym coachy - think he’s relieved I’m back.

Tue 5: Run, 8k @ 7.52, HR ave 148 max 175. Developed a blister on the arch of my foot Saturday last, binned those runners (though socks might be the culprit). It was beginning to annoy by the last k. It doesn’t look any worse, but it’s not any better. Regular walking/standing doesn’t bother it.

Wed 6: Gym - deadlifts (90), one arm row, shoulder press, floor press, biceps.

Thu 7: Slow run 3.7k @7.52 HR ave 151 max 173, blister is ichy, so I'm ignoring it. Tired today, lower back a bit uncomfortable after yesterday’s dead’s….however, I also only had 3 hours sleep and then an 11 hour stint at work. No harm to test a run when I’m feeling worn out - as I’m sure I’ll feel a lot worse as this cycle ramps up!

Spending an inordinate amount of time preparing my marathon training spreadsheet. It's like being a leaving cert. student drawing up their study timetable :o Pretty colours, projected totals, seriously ambitious gym attendance....setting me up to crash and burn :pac:

How much of your normal weights routine will you be keeping up? I wish I was able to divide my efforts as you are.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    How much of your normal weights routine will you be keeping up? I wish I was able to divide my efforts as you are.

:o Not as long as I hope, I suspect.

I love lifting and really want to test my 1RM's...so hopefully long enough to build safely to that, and then row back to functional/core work etc. No matter what, if running suffers too much, I'll have admit defeat sooner.

Hoping the extra miles will help me drop the extra kilo's too....easier to hit my double bodyweight squat that way.

:o Not as long as I hope, I suspect.

I love lifting and really want to test my 1RM's...so hopefully long enough to build safely to that, and then row back to functional/core work etc. No matter what, if running suffers too much, I'll have admit defeat sooner.

Hoping the extra miles will help me drop the extra kilo's too....easier to hit my double bodyweight squat that way.

What are 1RM's? Doing DCM took all of my focus. I'm in awe that you can do both!

What are 1RM's? Doing DCM took all of my focus. I'm in awe that you can do both!

Oh don't say that! I'm probably being very naive.

1RM (1 rep max). The heaviest I can lift for 1 repetition, squat, bench, deadlift. Haven't tested for various reasons over the last 18 months, but hoping to in the next 4-6 weeks.

Oh don't say that! I'm probably being very naive.

1RM (1 rep max). The heaviest I can lift for 1 repetition, squat, bench, deadlift. Haven't tested for various reasons over the last 18 months, but hoping to in the next 4-6 weeks.

Oh I can say it! Difference is that you're coming from a background of training. I was coming from a background of over indulgence and marathon training was my shot at redemption. :-)

Oh I can say it! Difference is that you're coming from a background of training. I was coming from a background of over indulgence and marathon training was my shot at redemption. :-)

And look at you now!

Fri 8: Rest
    Sat 9: 11.1k@LSR pace, 7.48, HR ave 157 max 187. Holy moly, I found that hot, hot, hot. Sunshine all the way. Stopped to buy water with c 3 to go, walked small parts of the hill home.
    Legs felt fine, feet hot and tired, glutes worked on uphills.
    Sun 10: 5k easy @ 7.26, HR ave 145 max 162.

Just short of 29k this week. Good ‘ol Strava pointed out I did 4.7 on Thursday, not 3.7. Also - never really used Strava before joining the novices group. It’s a whole different tool when you stalk view other peoples sessions!

• Advertisement

Fri 8: Rest
    Sat 9: 11.1k@LSR pace, 7.48, HR ave 157 max 187. Holy moly, I found that hot, hot, hot. Sunshine all the way. Stopped to buy water with c 3 to go, walked small parts of the hill home.
    Legs felt fine, feet hot and tired, glutes worked on uphills.
    Sun 10: 5k easy @ 7.26, HR ave 145 max 162.

Just short of 29k this week. Good ‘ol Strava pointed out I did 4.7 on Thursday, not 3.7. Also - never really used Strava before joining the novices group. It’s a whole different tool when you stalk view other peoples sessions!

Nice week. Hope you're enjoying getting back into it.

Tried to find you on Strava but my stalking viewing skills mustn't be up to scratch!

Advertisement