Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear is the key

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Nice week. Hope you're enjoying getting back into it.

Tried to find you on Strava but my stalking viewing skills mustn't be up to scratch!

I'm caught lying already :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

juke wrote: »
    I'm caught lying already :eek::D

:D:D:D

Mon 11: Work invaded my day, missed gym, but managed 6.1k easy @ 7.26. HR ave 153 max 175. Beginning to hate my last 1k home - uphill.

Tue 12: Work late, stressed beyond belief. Rest but not rest.

Wed 13: Man I hate my work occasionally, miss the gym, home with a splitting headache, BUT it’s started raining and it’s cooler, so head out for a run, 6.1k @7.24 HR ave 152 max 174. Enjoyed this far more than Monday. Rain brings on my hayfeaver though.

Thu 14: Easy 5k @ 7.53, HR ave 145 max 174, found this hard on my calves, hill home a struggle, hotter than I realised.

Fri 15: Rest

Sat 16: 14k lsr @ 7.57 HR ave 146 max 164.
    Glad to get this done, longest run in a long while. After the stress at work for the last 10 days, I let off a bit of steam Friday night - and suffered badly for the first 2k :o On the way home, I realised I had miscalculated the distance, so I had to double back and make up 2k. Feet tired at the end.

Sun 17: 4k rec @ 8.35. HR ave 134 max 157. Hardest run of the week.

35k for the week :) no gym :mad:.

Mon 18: Gym - squats - reverse pyramid, bench, lat pull-down/narrow grip bench. Contemplated doing 5k on the treadmill but sense prevailed: legs will suffer after doing squats for first time in 2 weeks, and testing next week. No need to over stress muscles at this stage.

Tue 19: Run, 8k @ 7.59, HR ave 143 max 159. Well - that was warm. Headed to the park and stuck to the covered paths. Legs tired after yesterday’s squats, but the real pain hasn’t arrived yet. Stopped twice to stretch my calf. Left foot, outside quite tender afterwards. Checked back and found I had the same problem this time last year - so rooted out the stretches I’d been given then. Useful, these logs! :)

Wed 20:
    Gym, deadlifts, one arm row, shoulder press, floor press, biceps

Thu 21:
    Dentist :( even worse, work afterwards until late :mad:

Fri 22: Run, easy 7k @ 7.33, HR ave 148 max 186??? - something wrong here, had a look back on the route on garmin and there was a spike within the first 0.5k - on a downhill part, so I blame the sun, because my heart was grand! Cool enough, despite the sun, good to get out and run off the week that was.

Sat 23: 15k lsr @ 8.03 HR ave 143 max 175.
    Another funny spike in HR, downhill at 0.5k. I wasn’t sure if doing this run early morning after yesterday evening’s easy was the best idea, but with the heat forecast, it made most sense. This was pretty good, but again, like last week, it was my feet that were most tired by the end.

Sun 17: 3.3k rec @ 8.14 plus 0.5k walk (dragging myself) uphill home. Dripping in sweat. Hardest run of the week, again. I like consistency. HR ave 131 max 150.

33.5k for the week plus 2 x gym.

18 week DCM 2018 plan starts tomorrow :eek:
    Work has been extreme for the last 2-3 weeks, but hopefully the worst is over and I'll have the time to enjoy the runs rather than worry about how I'll fit them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Best of luck with the marathon training! You have a great attitude to the weights & running combined. Enjoy!

• Advertisement

DCM, W1

NOT a resounding success :(

Mon 25: Plan was gym, dizzy, probably the heat, give it a miss.

Tue 26: Run, 6.4k with 5x100 strides. Flippin hell, that was hot. Got it done, but was a lot of effort. I have auto-pause turned on on my watch, so it went nuts during the strides. Fresh back from holidays, I have given run-coachy my ‘adapted’ boards novices spreadsheet to review, beautifully colour coded. At first glance, his only comment was ‘there's a lot of pink’. Oops - that would be my planned gym sessions :o Expecting feedback next week. Probably a lot of ‘remove the pinks!’

Wed 27
    : Gym - @ 65%, squat, lat pull-down, bench, deadlift, triceps, biceps.

Thu 28: Run, easy 5k @ 7.56, HR ave 153 max 174. Sooo hot. New runners, felt pretty good.

Fri 29: Woke feeling like I’d slept funny, niggle in my shoulder, annoying all day. It went into full spasm while driving home from work, I was fit for nothing but bed, in agony.

Sat 30: More agony, little sleep. Left arm numb/pins & needles.

Sun 1: €195 later, laden down with Valium & painkillers, I'm high as a kite, but my shoulder still killing me, arm and fingers still numb. Standing/sitting for more than a few minutes is just too painful.

In other news, midges are eating me alive and they seem to love deet. Also, I'm going to lose my index toe-nail....thought that sort of thing happened at the end of training cycle, not the beginning.

Positive week all round. Appetite absolutely fine :eek: Can’t be that much wrong with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Hope the shoulder clears up, suffered something similar myself few weeks back. At least you had the sense not to do anything when the dizziness kicked in!!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    At least you had the sense not to do anything when the dizziness kicked in!!!

Yeah, age learns you :o....guilty of fainting in the gym once - waking, lying on the ground, the gym owner holding my legs in the air...not an experience I want to repeat :D

Yeah, age learns you :o....guilty of fainting in the gym once - waking, lying on the ground, the gym owner holding my legs in the air...not an experience I want to repeat :D

Jesus!!!

Sounds flamin' painful! Hope it clears up really soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Hope your shoulder is feeling better this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Juke hope the shoulder settles soon x

Sounds flamin' painful! Hope it clears up really soon.
    gypsylee wrote: »
    Hope your shoulder is feeling better this morning.
    ariana` wrote: »
    Juke hope the shoulder settles soon x

Thanks Guys. Saw a physio earlier - that hurt like hell. Mind you, the pain was so bad, I didn't even feel the dry needling she did, so there's always a positive. Slept like a baby when I got home. Due 2 more sessions over the next 2 days, but she's confident enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Thanks Guys. Saw a physio earlier - that hurt like hell. Mind you, the pain was so bad, I didn't even feel the dry needling she did, so there's always a positive. Slept like a baby when I got home. Due 2 more sessions over the next 2 days, but she's confident enough.

Yikes that sounds like torture but I'm delighted to hear the prospects sound good! Sorry you have to go through it twice more though :eek:

Progress report:

Diagnosis: 'Thoracic outlet syndrome'. The 'syndrome' makes it sound like it's all in my head. My wallet tells me it better not be :eek:

3 physio sessions later, definite improvement, but a lot of movement sets it off again. Trying to wear a sling to restrict movement. Driving is a disaster. Meds. help a lot, but I'm a reluctant taker.

Reading all the novices status reports and I'm feeling quite dejected. I know it's early days. I'm just itching to get running again.

DCM W2

Much physio, much pain killers, a sling and work while typing one handed. Not the best week in the world :pac: BUT I got permission to go back easy running.

Sat 7: Rehab run, 8.3k @8.50 HR ave 139 max 174. Took it very, very easy, stopping occasionally to stretch my shoulder. It began to hurt @ about 5k, but I got home ok.

Sun 8: LSR 16.1k @8.30 HR ave 142 max 175.
    Having missed a week's training and last week's LSR, I was determined to do it today. Concert prep. in Marlay made it less hard to keep among the tree covered paths and more running in the sun than I'd like.

Not going to lie, thought this was hard, whether it was the unscheduled week off, the heat or what, I don’t know. Felt my left foot go numb @ about 5-6k, slowed, had a drink and it went away. Being away from the gym has me stretching less and I think that’s connected. Shoulder made itself known, but not as bad as yesterday.

Hoping for a more productive week to come.

DCM W3

Mon 9: Arm very sore. Note to self, feeling better Saturday & Sunday does not mean stop taking the prescribed meds :o Physio abandoned my session half way through because it was just hurting too much. Gym abandoned too.

Tue 10: Run: 8k easy with 5 x hill sprints. HR ave 141 max 175.
    Splits on my garmin are way off, I paused the watch after each hill sprint, but when I replay it back, it only recorded one. I did 5 honest :p I enjoyed them. I may have favoured my left shoulder a bit, but in all, running does seem to help.

Wed 11: Physio in am - lots of exercises given including ‘nerve flossing’. If no significant improvement by Monday next, it's time for MRI. Light gym work in the evening - isn’t too easy to do a weights routine without using arm/shoulder too much.

Now to see will positive thoughts and diligent exercises avoid need for an MRI.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Really sorry to hear you're still in a lot of pain with it. It's great that it's not affecting the running too much though, and fair play to you for keeping going with it anyway!

eyrie wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear you're still in a lot of pain with it. It's great that it's not affecting the running too much though, and fair play to you for keeping going with it anyway!

Thanks, it's all very frustrating. The running is just about keeping me sane!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

That's really bad luck and sounds very painful. Hope it starts improving soon with the meds and exercises. Well done on the running, you are made of strong stuff!

• Advertisement

"Nerve flossing" :eek:

Fingers crossed it gets better soon!

gypsylee wrote: »
    That's really bad luck and sounds very painful. Hope it starts improving soon with the meds and exercises. Well done on the running, you are made of strong stuff!

"Nerve flossing" :eek:

:pac: It's as yuck as tooth flossing!

Thu 12/Fri 13: Shoulder uncooperative. Driving is also now out. Preemp Monday’s physio’s diagnosis and book an MRI for Sunday.

Sat 14: Run, 6.6k easy @ 7.41 HR ave 150 max 177. Really this was Thursday’s session, though I know I’m not supposed to chase lost sessions. Loosened up my shoulder nicely. Wedding later today.

Sun 15: MRI - a very uncomfortable 30 minutes trying to lie still.
    I followed that with a run in the rain. Bliss. I was permitted 1 hour, so 8k easy HR ave 143 max 166. Not the planned LSR, but consoling myself that at least I’m still getting a few miles in. And I got home to rather excellent homemade spicy chicken wings (recipe a Boards of course) which took away some of the sting.

Only 22.4k for the planned 40.2 this week.

I have entered the race series 10k. Hoping for a miracle diagnosis on the MRI and maybe skipping the race and doing the alternative Boards week instead - at least I’d feel less guilty about missing the 21k today. That said, I was looking forward to the race to see if I have progressed at all.

Decisions :confused:

You need to let the body rest juke, your doing the body no good at all. Take a week away from everything gym/running the whole thing and give the body a chance to recuperate. I plowed on many a time thinking I could run an injury away, never worked. Your early enough in the plan as is to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

+1
    I mangled my shoulder in summer 2016 off a mountain bike. Figure of 8 sling, arm sling, physio and drugs got me to the start line (despite doc and physio advice not to) of a big race 6 weeks later. Got through it but prolonged my physio, rehab and hole in my wallet for another 6 months.

Body needs to heal. No matter how much you try or how easy you go, you can't run keeping your shoulder still.

Quick question. What's up with your max HR? The difference between your average and max for most runs is huge ( 140ish to 175+), suggesting spikes, effort up hills or your max is over 200?!

+1
    I mangled my shoulder in summer 2016 off a mountain bike. Figure of 8 sling, arm sling, physio and drugs got me to the start line (despite doc and physio advice not to) of a big race 6 weeks later. Got through it but prolonged my physio, rehab and hole in my wallet for another 6 months.

Body needs to heal. No matter how much you try or how easy you go, you can't run keeping your shoulder still.

Quick question. What's up with your max HR? The difference between your average and max for most runs is huge ( 140ish to 175+), suggesting spikes, effort up hills or your max is over 200?!

Thanks. Though running does seem to loosen it up...but maybe 2-3k rather than more would make sense.

HR - max I'm guessing about 190. I try not to slow down going uphill. Also, I live at the top of a hill, so my final 0.5k uphill when I'm at my most tired usually kills me. I have a sort of notion that it will benefit me in the long run?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

..., I live at the top of a hill, so my final 0.5k uphill when I'm at my most tired usually kills me. I have a sort of notion that it will benefit me in the long run?
    Aha makes sense then! Maybe walk the last bit from time to time as a cool down, stretch the hamstrings and not arrive at the door panting :-)

Aha makes sense then! Maybe walk the last bit from time to time as a cool down, stretch the hamstrings and not arrive at the door panting :-)

Or make sure your panting when himself answers the front door !! Mike is far more an expert in all things endurance than me but one thing I stand by, let the shoulder rest. You’ll be glad of that.

But but.....the neighbours :eek::pac:

non DCM W4

MRI result (as I non medically understand it): Apparently I am not 25 anymore :rolleyes:

a. Sub-scapular tendonitis, left shoulder - could have been caused by anything. I am choosing to tell gym-coachy it’s the overhead barbell presses :D

b. Flattened disc between c5 & c6, squidging out on all sides, rubbing on my nerve, and

c. Left stenosis between c6 & c7 causing tenderness to the nerve and the area around it.

Physio strategy: exercise regime, no driving, running absolutely permitted to the point where it feels comfortable, but stopping if any aggravation at all occurs. Gym - legs/core only, no arm work at all.

Physio said no harm to consider a second opinion - her gut is that injections may be needed, GP wasn’t of that view. There’s a thin line between taking enough pain relief to feel ok and being lucid at work. Also long term pain killers/Valium is not something I’d be comfortable with.

As to a second opinion, it’s so flippin’ hard to get recommendations. Some get ‘amazing’ reviews from some people, who others think are just quacks. Other's waiting lists are so long, and me, I’m just impatient.

Plan: Do my exercises and run easy for up to an hour or so every other day starting tomorrow and see how I feel and take it from there.

Am I being sensible enough?

• Advertisement

non DCM W4

Wed 18: First day in years and years, I took the bus to work - added 50 min. + to the journey, each way. Otherwise it was pleasant enough listening to my audio book.

PM: Run, V easy 5.7k @ 7:57. HR ave 145 max 163, followed by a 0.5k stroll home. Tough day at the office - so this felt good. Shoulder is sore, but more from tension of the day than running.

Thu 19: Rest, shoulder uncomfortable at work.

Fri 20: Shoulder uncomfortable at work, Bus commute home, takeaway, asleep by 10.

Sat 21: Run, easy, by feel only. 13.1k @ 7.43, HR ave 145 max 172. Did I stop with the 300m to go at the end when my shoulder began to hurt. No :mad:

I was right not to do the race series 10k and you subtle naysayers were correct in your bluntness :cool:

Thanks for that :o

Advertisement