Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear is the key

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

non DCM W5

Mon 21-Fri 27: Bus to work commute, standing while working a lot, but shoulder/arm pain pretty consistent. KNEW an easy run would help, but felt pathetically exhausted with the usually having to run for the bus (1 an hour in my neck of the woods) extra journey length and humidity, so usually just had dinner & went to bed.

I abandoned the bus commute on Friday, it was just stressing me out too much. Pretty full on week in work as well, but I finally completed an important deal, so decided to join work colleagues for couple of post work drinks for the first time in years.

Sat 28:
    Plan: run to work (just to see how long it takes) and head to the Phoenix Park and back to work, running something more than 16k. Given the rain, knew I had a change of clothes there, shower, change clothes, eat something and pick up laptop and some files so I can work from home on Monday.

Reality: 18.6k lsr @ 8/00 felt good, shoulder didn't affect me at all. Under-dress, so was pretty cold for much of the run. Realise I have brought my work building swipe card and car keys, but no office key :( So no dry clothes, no towel, no shower, no collecting work for home. Drive home shivering. I’m still cold @ 8pm writing this.

Sun 29 5.4k recovery.

24k for the week :(

In other news: Physio 2nd opinion:
    Very clear reduced power in my little finger. She’s not worried about the tendinitis or the squished disc. It’s the stenosis that the cause of all symptoms. Either the stenosis will fix itself or it won’t.
    If yes, happy days.
    If no, spine injections.
    No surgeon will look at me for another 4-5 weeks though, so in the meantime, physio visits are a waste of money. Do my exercises, do what I want, within my pain threshold.

She does not believe I can aggravate the problem, just the symptoms, take the pain meds., and try start enjoying gym/running again. Just be sensible and go see her again in 2-3 weeks.

I felt she explained things a lot better and she gave me confidence..so I'll take it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

juke wrote: »
    non DCM W5

Mon 21-Fri 27: Bus to work commute, standing while working a lot, but shoulder/arm pain pretty consistent. KNEW an easy run would help, but felt pathetically exhausted with the usually having to run for the bus (1 an hour in my neck of the woods) extra journey length and humidity, so usually just had dinner & went to bed.

Dublin Bus is the reason I run as much as I do.
    She does not believe I can aggravate the problem, just the symptoms, take the pain meds., and try start enjoying gym/running again. Just be sensible and go see her again in 2-3 weeks.

I felt she explained things a lot better and she gave me confidence..so I'll take it :)

Sounds promising. Fingers and toes crossed it resolves itself without the need for injections. Glad you got a wee confidence boost, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

With any luck at all it'll improve by itself so, I really hope it does for you. At least now you know a bit more, and know what you can do in the meantime, so hopefully that's some help.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Dublin Bus is the reason I run as much as I do.
    That explains a lot :)
    Sounds promising. Fingers and toes crossed it resolves itself without the need for injections. Glad you got a wee confidence boost, too.
    Thanks. At least moving seems to alleviate the symptoms too.
    eyrie wrote: »
    With any luck at all it'll improve by itself so, I really hope it does for you. At least now you know a bit more, and know what you can do in the meantime, so hopefully that's some help.

I hope so. Did a light gym session tonight. Well - heavy legs, light arms - gym coachy is only so nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Glad things are on the up a little bit. It's very important to have confidence in the physio, it's half the battle when dealing with injury. I hope it heals itself and you won't need the injections, mind yourself.

• Advertisement

Trial DCM W6

Mon 30: Gym: Legpress, seated row, hamstring curls, neutral dumbbell shoulder press, one arm row, neutral lat pull-down. All at about 40% usual effort, except legwork.

Tue 31:
    Run - I’m not really what was going on in my little brain when I planned this. My first runemute. Drove to work, all the gear for next 2 days packed. Post work, changed clothes and set off for 8.5k run home (plus my 0.5k walk up my hill….on account of someone way wiser than me on here telling me to). It hurt - pretty much most of the way (net 99.3 m gain) - but that’s not unusual, maybe because it was just all uphill really, so I got little respite. The balls of me feet, my lower back, my shins, they all cried out in their own way. I’d like to say one hill defeated me, but, truth be told, I didn’t even try it, I crossed the road, paused my watch and walked about 300m. Not even sure why I paused the watch :confused: As for splits - all I can say is I kept breathing. HR ave 148 max 176.

Plan is run downhill to work tomorrow morning (easy right!) and to do this for 4 consecutive weeks, just increasing the route and speed. My heart is crying. My plan may need a redraft.

Wed 1: Plan: 1.6 W/U, 8k pace, 1.6 W/D
    Actual, 1.6k w/u, 8k runmute down-hill to work @7:48 - which pretty much from beginning to end felt like it was uphill. No W/D - once I hit the office, that plan evaporated and I hit the shower. Tired and very, very daunted. HR ave 142 max 180.

Thu 2: Rest and eat figrolls

Fri 3: Clothes shopping with my mother….still, after a bit of mental coaxing, told myself that walking around Dundrum wasn’t suitable as a ‘rest/x/rec’ so I did 4.9k v easy @ 7:44, HR ave 145 max 169. Very humid, lots of flying ants around too.

Sat 4: LSR, I was afraid of this. Plan: plotted a route that let me stash a small bottle in Marlay to collect @ 20k and would run as much more after that as I could - hoping for min. 24k. Carried 1 other small bottle with me & 3 glucose tablets.

It went pretty much as expected, some ok k’s, some harder, took a glucose tablet every 7k or so, just to see what they were like. I don’t like gels, fruit pastilles are my usual. Hit my stashed bottle at 19k and ran around Marlay a little before conceding and heading for home. About 1k from home my right hamstring, close to the back of my knee, began to ache, thought I could just push through, but it got no better. Admitted defeat, and limped 0.7k home.
    24.1k run @ 8:07. HR ave 147 max 182; Furthest distance ever.

Hamstring grand since - think it just was saying ‘enough for today, girl’.

Sun 5: Rec run, 4.5k @ 8:16, HR ave 135 max 153

Total for week: 51.6k for week. I’ll take it.

Shoulder/back - unless I’m actively moving, there’s a constant dull ache. I don’t know if it’s improving or not, because I’m still taking meds. Scaleing back meds this week, guess we’ll see how that works out. Due back to physio on Friday. Sleep is pretty poor.

Also, mini-meltdown on the novices thread mid-week :o, support there is super, I was an emotional mess. Not so much upset that I had the melt-down - rather that I was the first :)

Now daunted by the week ahead, especially the mid-week runs. OH on holidays and dishwasher is broken. The joys :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Trial DCM W6

Mon 30: Gym: Legpress, seated row, hamstring curls, neutral dumbbell shoulder press, one arm row, neutral lat pull-down. All at about 40% usual effort, except legwork.

Tue 31:
    Run - I’m not really what was going on in my little brain when I planned this. My first runemute. Drove to work, all the gear for next 2 days packed. Post work, changed clothes and set off for 8.5k run home (plus my 0.5k walk up my hill….on account of someone way wiser than me on here telling me to). It hurt - pretty much most of the way (net 99.3 m gain) - but that’s not unusual, maybe because it was just all uphill really, so I got little respite. The balls of me feet, my lower back, my shins, they all cried out in their own way. I’d like to say one hill defeated me, but, truth be told, I didn’t even try it, I crossed the road, paused my watch and walked about 300m. Not even sure why I paused the watch :confused: As for splits - all I can say is I kept breathing. HR ave 148 max 176.

Plan is run downhill to work tomorrow morning (easy right!) and to do this for 4 consecutive weeks, just increasing the route and speed. My heart is crying. My plan may need a redraft.

Wed 1: Plan: 1.6 W/U, 8k pace, 1.6 W/D
    Actual, 1.6k w/u, 8k runmute down-hill to work @7:48 - which pretty much from beginning to end felt like it was uphill. No W/D - once I hit the office, that plan evaporated and I hit the shower. Tired and very, very daunted. HR ave 142 max 180.

Thu 2: Rest and eat figrolls

Fri 3: Clothes shopping with my mother….still, after a bit of mental coaxing, told myself that walking around Dundrum wasn’t suitable as a ‘rest/x/rec’ so I did 4.9k v easy @ 7:44, HR ave 145 max 169. Very humid, lots of flying ants around too.

Sat 4: LSR, I was afraid of this. Plan: plotted a route that let me stash a small bottle in Marlay to collect @ 20k and would run as much more after that as I could - hoping for min. 24k. Carried 1 other small bottle with me & 3 glucose tablets.

It went pretty much as expected, some ok k’s, some harder, took a glucose tablet every 7k or so, just to see what they were like. I don’t like gels, fruit pastilles are my usual. Hit my stashed bottle at 19k and ran around Marlay a little before conceding and heading for home. About 1k from home my right hamstring, close to the back of my knee, began to ache, thought I could just push through, but it got no better. Admitted defeat, and limped 0.7k home.
    24.1k run @ 8:07. HR ave 147 max 182; Furthest distance ever.

Hamstring grand since - think it just was saying ‘enough for today, girl’.

Sun 5: Rec run, 4.5k @ 8:16, HR ave 135 max 153

Total for week: 51.6k for week. I’ll take it.

Shoulder/back - unless I’m actively moving, there’s a constant dull ache. I don’t know if it’s improving or not, because I’m still taking meds. Scaleing back meds this week, guess we’ll see how that works out. Due back to physio on Friday. Sleep is pretty poor.

Also, mini-meltdown on the novices thread mid-week :o, support there is super, I was an emotional mess. Not so much upset that I had the melt-down - rather that I was the first :)

Now daunted by the week ahead, especially the mid-week runs. OH on holidays and dishwasher is broken. The joys :rolleyes:

Fair play to you for getting the long run done. It's all little battles at this stage and if you win enough battles you will generally win the war!

As for your first world dishwasher malfunction...I've seen mention of an OH but nothing of kids. If OH is away you have to wash up for 1 person? Woman up girl. Hahahaha.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Fair play to you for getting the long run done. It's all little battles at this stage and if you win enough battles you will generally win the war!

As for your first world dishwasher malfunction...I've seen mention of an OH but nothing of kids. If OH is away you have to wash up for 1 person? Woman up girl. Hahahaha.

Cheers, S. I'm stubborn enough on the long runs ;)

As for the dishwasher problem - there's quite an active thread on their necessity in Accom/Property at the moment. For me they are the difference between eating well (home cooked) and eating rubbish.

But you are right- first world problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Cheers, S. I'm stubborn enough on the long runs ;)

As for the dishwasher problem - there's quite an active thread on their necessity in Accom/Property at the moment. For me they are the difference between eating well (home cooked) and eating rubbish.

But you are right- first world problems!

Really?? I'm both old and old school!! I have a dishwasher but rarely use it. I find pot washing therapeutic. Haha

DCM W7

Mon 6: Gym: Leg press (120), Seated row, neutral dumbell press (had to concentrate on keeping my left shoulder from lifting), dumbbell RDL’s, neutral lat pull -down (thumbless grip to help strain on my left wrist), kneeling one arm cable row.

Tue 7: 6.4k easy @ 7.27, HR ave 142 max 158. Struggled to keep proper pace on this, too fast.

Wed 8: Gym: goblet squats, rows, light bench, bar-bell rdl’s (oh, my hamstrings were tight), body weight lunges, lat pull down, face pulls, tricep push-downs. Grip problems on the push (rather than the pull) so it was a difficult session. No time to run after as planned as I had a very important meeting with a hairdresser.

Only one gym session per week from now on until November :(

Thu 9: Rest in a bath of bi-carb soda. I have developed a nasty allergy, most likely to one of my meds. Hives, all over now, that have been gradually building in random clusters over a few days. I first thought it was midges. Got little sleep last night, sooooo grumpy. I already suffer from hayfeaver, so extra antihistamines is not an option. Now the ‘which tablet to drop’ lottery…..

Fri 10: Physio: I have a noticeable atrophy in my left hand (explains the grip problems), which may get worse before it gets better, but overall happy with improvements. It appear, I am not going to lose my arm :rolleyes: More exercises given that hurt like bejaysus and more mention of nerve flossing :mad: I also have to get medical ‘play-dough’ to work on my grip. I need very little excuse to act like a 4 year old, so I had ordered that within 5 minutes of getting home :pac:

Run: 1.6k w/u, 6k pace, 1.4k w/d. Bit late in the week getting to this. Because of my shoulder (oh, I do be having the excuses) this was my first ‘pace’ session in the plan so far. I was quite apprehensive, but I managed it better than expected. Splits were a bit erratic, but I guess I do have a version of running that is faster than ‘easy’ after all my tantrums last week. It should have been 8k @ pace, but I felt spent @ 6 and the cool down was very slow. Not sure what to make of my heart rate either: HR ave 163 max 169.

Arrived home to a lovely sight - you phoenix park runners may be used to the deer, but on a green in the middle of a D16 housing estate, it’s quite rare!
    38831562_10214323214068733_6584287196658794496_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=1a1bfd05a2834aac0253d6ff1b263bcf&oe=5BF5E9B7

• Advertisement

DCM W7 part 2

Sat 11: Run, rec 5.2k @ 8.17, HR ave 133 max 148. Left heel hurting since Friday’s session.

Sun 12:
    Run: 22.5 LSR @ 8.21, HR ave 148 max 193
    I was dreading this, a bit anxious my heel would act up again, but it was ok. Let 2 alarms go before I eventually got up. Told myself I was delaying to allow the rain to hit, but I was just delaying. Picked the same route as last week, stashing my bottle like last week, just cut off the last few k. It was struggle - contemplated sitting down and calling the cavalry to collect me on several occasions. I let my shoulders tense up too much too early and my toes were burning from 10k. I’ve always struggled with my feet overheating, but not that early on. Let myself slow down a lot at ‘busy’ :rolleyes: junctions. The rain was welcome and I got it done. Walked home and lay, still soaking wet, wrapped in a towel on my living room floor with my legs up against the wall, wondering ……

4 hours later, my feet are still throbbing :o

43.2k for the week, a bit on the low side, luckily it was a step back week, or I’d be waayy behind. 2 very tough weeks ahead, methinks. Time to drag the big girl pants back on :eek:

DCM W7 part 2

Sat 11: Run, rec 5.2k @ 8.17, HR ave 133 max 148. Left heel hurting since Friday’s session.

Sun 12:
    Run: 22.5 LSR @ 8.21, HR ave 148 max 193
    I was dreading this, a bit anxious my heel would act up again, but it was ok. Let 2 alarms go before I eventually got up. Told myself I was delaying to allow the rain to hit, but I was just delaying. Picked the same route as last week, stashing my bottle like last week, just cut off the last few k. It was struggle - contemplated sitting down and calling the cavalry to collect me on several occasions. I let my shoulders tense up too much too early and my toes were burning from 10k. I’ve always struggled with my feet overheating, but not that early on. Let myself slow down a lot at ‘busy’ :rolleyes: junctions. The rain was welcome and I got it done. Walked home and lay, still soaking wet, wrapped in a towel on my living room floor with my legs up against the wall, wondering ……

4 hours later, my feet are still throbbing :o

43.2k for the week, a bit on the low side, luckily it was a step back week, or I’d be waayy behind. 2 very tough weeks ahead, methinks. Time to drag the big girl pants back on :eek:

Query - are your runners the correct size to allow for a little bit of swelling during LRs?

I ask because I've a couple of pairs of Asics. Both pairs are 5.5 but slightly different models. One pair has a slightly smaller toe box and my feet hurt if I go too far in them.

Good luck with the two weeks ahead. I was feeling very daunted a few weeks back and I just quit looking too far ahead. One run at a time and we can and will get there.

Query - are your runners the correct size to allow for a little bit of swelling during LRs?

I ask because I've a couple of pairs of Asics. Both pairs are 5.5 but slightly different models. One pair has a slightly smaller toe box and my feet hurt if I go too far in them.

Good luck with the two weeks ahead. I was feeling very daunted a few weeks back and I just quit looking too far ahead. One run at a time and we can and will get there.

Good point on the runners. I have 3 asics on the go, all for over pronation, all the same size, (one full size up from my regular shoe size). The newest version (which I wore on the Friday session) may well have a smaller toe box, and my feet did feel tired going into yesterday's run.

I shall investigate!

Aww, lovely photo :)

You may have nailed this. I took the insoles out of all 3 - the newest model is smaller in the toe box by about 3-4mm all along the toe and external side area.

Are they only fit for the bin now?

On another somewhat related matter - serious question:

You know the way the tooth fairy comes to children when they loose teeth, do runners have a toenail fairy?

(my medical play dough arrived today, so mental age of 4 may be setting in, that or nervous shock :eek:)

You may have nailed this. I took the insoles out of all 3 - the newest model is smaller in the toe box by about 3-4mm all along the toe and external side area.

Are they only fit for the bin now

I’d try them on shorter runs and see. They might be grand for everything but long runs and sessions, where your feet will swell more.

I’d also make sure they’re the cause of the sore feet before tossing them.

Medical Log DCM W8
    Mon 13:
    AM 3.5k rec. jog @ 8.29; HR ave 139 max 160 (hilly). On encouragement from my OH I did this. A sure sign my moaning had reached beyond tolerance levels. Helped loosen up my shoulder, which was aching.

PM
    Gym: Trap-bar deads, incline dumbbell bench, one arm row, walking lunges, triceps
    This session upset me a bit afterwards. It was hard work, as I expect, and I enjoyed it. But I started losing my grip on the dead’s @ 40k for 15 reps. I was able to lift 60 for 8’s but only with a wrist strap. I can’t believe how much strength has been lost in my left arm/hand, so much so, that I was losing grip at a weight that is less than a third of my max. I am slightly freaking out. The physio said that she wasn’t aware of any specific grip exercises I can do in the gym to help improve it. Gym-coachy - he was, as ever, positive and optimistic.

Glad I have running to focus on as ‘the main thing’ during this, because, of all the powerlifting lifts, dead’s are my favourite and I certainly hadn’t ruled out competing again. Today that idea was somewhat blown away.

Tue 14: Run, 6.4k easy @ 7.33, HR ave 140 max 151
    Visit Dr (due to my hives): yep, I’m definitely allergic to something, could be anything, thanks Doc. Steroids to tackle symptoms and what on earth am I doing lifting weights and running with a nerve/disc problem :rolleyes:

Wed 15:
    Run: plan 1.6k w/u, 9.7kpace, 1.6k c/d,
    Actual: 1.6k w/u, 8.1k pace @ 6.53, 0.7 c/d. Pace: HR ave 157 max 186.
    Lashing & windy - perfect. Started ok, but struggled with even pace, probably mine own worst enemy, as my chosen route isn’t flat. Happy enough to 5k at pace, but then my neck began to feel tight. Didn’t know if it was my nerve problem or the demon in my head, pushed on. Then at c. 7k I stumbled and felt a sharp pain in my toe….fearing the worst, I managed another 1k and a short cooldown. Neck tight and my toe, well I was trying to ignore it….It was a long, long while later before I braved taking off my runner, despite being soaking wet. I have lost finally that annoying toe-nail. Am I a runner yet? :D

Also got my medical play dough…...I’m even more alarmed about the lack of power in my hand.

Thu 16: Rest. In a display of uncharacteristic sense, rather than risk exacerbating my disc/nerve problems, I opted for the role as official photographer while 6 family went indoor skydiving. Great fun.

Fri 17: Rest

Sat 18: Run, 25.7k LSR @ 8.15, HR ave 138 max 170. Went well enough, all things considered. Should have set out earlier, while it was cooler. I was anxious about how my poor toe would get on (let’s just say bravely). The last 5k were a huge struggle, I was feeling pressure in my knees and glutes particularly. My 2 250ml electrolyte drinks, 3 glucose tables and 2 fruit pastilles were my fuel source. Sick of all by the end. Longest run ever and this journey just gets even more daunting. Wiped out for the day, inhaled a pizza that evening. Very restless sleep, my legs ached.

Sun 19: Rest. Another long family day - as they enjoyed a day of kayaking and horse riding. Neither of these were a sacrifice for me to skip. I organised it all and ate. Pushing my recovery run to the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Well done one the LR, pizza is the recovery food of champions!!

Nice going on the LSR. It's normal to feel wiped after running that far for the first time.

DCM W9

Mon 20: Life messed up my day and AM morning recovery run didn’t happen.
    PM: Gym: Deads with wrist strap, bench, incline dumbbell bench (n), one arm lat pull-down (with wrist strap on left), lots of shoulder traction.

Tue 21: Run, 7 easy @ 7.21; HR ave 141 max 159. Very warm.

Wed 22: Run, 1.6k w/u, 9.7k pace, 1.6k c/d. HR ave 148 max 174.
    This one had been weighing heavily on me. Between shoulder & toe problems and bad runmute planning, this was the first pace session on the plan I actually finished fully, rather than cutting a few k short or skipping w/d. Splits are messy but it is done. Right knee a bit niggly after, hopefully nothing.

Thu 23: Rest - knee was niggling, skipped my usual lunchtime walk, which in hindsight may not have helped.

Fri 24:
    Rest.

Sat 25: Run, LSR 29.7k @7.56. HR ave 143 max 178.
    Did part of the DCM route from Dolphins Barn to top of heartbreak hill. The run went well, temperature was good, found the routes footpaths as much a challenge as the distance, especially around Terenure/Clonskeagh. Heartbreak Hill - didn’t realise I’d done it ‘til the top (I thought it ran onto Foster’s Ave). Found the route from Milltown to there as much of a challenge. Decided then not to run up Foster’s Ave. as planned and turned for home. Queue a stand-off with the Rungo app. When I refused to turn back she promptly refused to work, so I had to guess the way I had planned to go home - and of course, I close the long way :rolleyes:. Had to call the cavalry to collect me about 2.5k from home, as the distance was too far, I was dead on my feet and my right knee was really not happy. So haggard afterwards, my phone refused to recognise my face to unlock :eek:. 4 hours on my feet and I felt each minute.
    Fuel today: 2 x 250ml electrolyte drinks, 2 glucose tables and 2 clif block chews.

Sun 26: 3.2k recovery shuffle @ 7.58. HR ave 130 max 143. New runners, legs felt like lead.

Half way through this journey, still very daunted.

• Advertisement

Daunting as it maybe for you, your doing excellent, keep her lit!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Well done on your lsr. The longer distances definitely take their toll on us all but the feeling of having achieved them makes them all worthwhile.

Heartbreak Hill - didn’t realise I’d done it ‘til the top (I thought it ran onto Foster’s Ave).
    I don't even know which one it is! I ran that section a couple of weeks ago and hadn't a clue - there were enough tough patches that I didn't spot one specific one :(
    Half way through this journey, still very daunted.
    Yup. :eek: Well done on a great long run though

gypsylee wrote: »
    Well done on your lsr. The longer distances definitely take their toll on us all but the feeling of having achieved them makes them all worthwhile.

I know right, it the only thing that keeps me going :)
    eyrie wrote: »
    I don't even know which one it is! I ran that section a couple of weeks ago and hadn't a clue - there were enough tough patches that I didn't spot one specific one :(

Yup. :eek: Well done on a great long run though

Yep - Clonkeagh is tough - glad to be forewarned!

DCM W10

Mon 27: Gym: deadlift, with wrist strap, I managed sets of 80 x 3, bench, squat, lat pull-down. Green-shoots - coachy thinks my grip has improved (in his ‘I told you so’ voice)! Still a long way to go, but I’ll take it and keep fighting.

Tue 28:Run, 6.2k easy @ 7.31, HR ave 137 max 155. Felt good, struggled to stay slow in the downhills. Squat doms are on the way, though.

Wed 29: Run, 7.1k easy @ 7.31 and 5 x strides, HR ave 140 max 155. Legs felt pretty heavy, but all manageable.

Thu 30: Run, 8k easy @ 7.39, HR ave 138 max 159, felt quiet tired today.

Fri 31:
    AM: Physio, she thinks my nerve damage is improving, I’m probably at 80% right now
    PM: Massage & stretch (myofascial), introduced to a Theragun, my soul is traumatised, body feels a lot looser though.

All set for FD 10 mile on Sunday. My strategy, given to me today by my running guru, don’t start out too hard, but be aggressive, experience and embrace the pain, target a far faster than PMP :o He has a time expectation in mind...in a sealed envelope in the office for me to open on Monday. No pressure :eek:

All the best tomorrow, give it socks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Best of luck tomorrow, hope it goes well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Good luck!

Hope you have a great race today juke!

• Advertisement

DCM W10 continued

Sat 1: Run, 3.2 easy @ 7.48, HR ave 136 max 155

Sun 2: FD 10 Mile

Pre-race: Not the best night’s sleep, but I wasn’t worried as I had banked very good night’s sleep the 2 before. Felt good but conscious that the car on the way over said it was 19 degrees….what? :(

Got to Swords in good time for a bag drop, toilet stop, short warm up and mini-novices meet-up (Dealerz2.0, gypsylee, kittyclaws, Huzzah! and he who must be obeyed, skyblue46). Great to put faces to names.

Race: Plan was to run with Huzzah!, I - at something resembling pace, she - on her last LSR before Berlin. I have never run with anyone before, so was curious to see how it would go.

Let me say now, that running with her was a blessing, miles 3-6 particularly, flew by. Shout out to/from skyblue46 @ 3 miles. Great to see him there.

I struggled with the humidity from the off, but I marvelled at Huzzah!’s steady pace. I messed up on my drinks bottles and had to come to a complete stop each time to drink from the 2nd one, but was able to pull her back ok. I think I might have been inclined to walk or pull back on the pace if she wasn’t a target ahead of me :)

The sun went in, but I didn’t feel a lot of relief. I regretted not just taking the water cups and pouring them over myself instead. I had hoped I would have had more in me to pick it up a bit after 10k, but, today, it wasn’t there.

Aftermath: OH collected me promptly and we went to Malahide for some family time. Felt somewhat aggrieved that my goodie-bag Lucozade was a low calorie one. I mean, wtf :confused:

I enjoyed the country roads, thought the race was very well organised - especially the end. Whilst I struggled today, I had decided anything under 1.50 would be ok. I did that and now it's back to focusing on the main thing.

Right glute & left foot (from a tight hamstring, I think) quite sore now.
    Off for an epsom salt bath.

16.2k @ 6.43, HR ave 156 max 175.
    Chip time: 1.48.34
    Garmin splits:
    06:35, 06:32, 06:56, 06:41, 06:42, 06:41, 06:44, 06:49, 06:45, 06:42, 06:45, 06:46, 06:39, 06:51, 06:40, 06:30, 01:15.

Nutrition: 1 clif blok chew, 2 x 250ml electrolyte drinks.

Advertisement