Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear is the key

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Well done, super running this morning. A PB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Well - first 10 mile, so I guess so :)

juke wrote: »
    Well - first 10 mile, so I guess so :)

Well an even bigger well done so, PB beers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

nice running today. Don't worry about not being able to pick it up after 10k; you're in the middle of a tough block of training and it was hot today. My face is still on fire. Thanks for the company. Enjoy the bath and the PB beers ;)

OOnegative wrote: »
    Well an even bigger well done so, PB beers!!

Man on the internet said I can have beerS. WIN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done Juke. Very warm this weekend which will hopefully set us all up well for DCM!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Well Done Juke, It was very humid even from a spectators viewpoint so I wouldn't put any pass on feeling tired , i'd imagine the majority of runners were the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I've been waiting all week.....what was the time in the sealed envelope?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Woo, PB beers! Congrats juke :) Well done on keeping going in what sound like tough conditions.
    I'm gutted I missed the chance for a meet up. Next time!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I've been waiting all week.....what was the time in the sealed envelope?
    :o 1.39

He's so very, very optimistic. When he saw the temperature & Stephen Scullions finishing time, he said he knew it was too tough a target, think my result floored him though :D

I've been knocked sideways with a bug since yesterday - so he's justifying his target by saying it was clearly already in my system last Sunday.

Like I said, he's optimistic! He came first in a city marathon back in the day...I don't think he comprehends how slow I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Haha...optimism maybe, confidence in you more likely! I hope you get over the bug quickly and are able to do your long run at the weekend.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Haha...optimism maybe, confidence in you more likely! I hope you get over the bug quickly and are able to do your long run at the weekend.

Will go out now for a few easy, and push the long run to Sunday. Finger's crossed.

DCM W11

Mon 3: Gym: Deadlift (sets of 80 x 5 with wrist grip), bench, squat, one arm row. Had notions of doing a few k recovery, but I’m wiped out.

Tue 4: Run, 6.4k easy @ 7.24, HR ave 138 max 160.

Wed 5: Run, 1.6k w/u, 7.5k pace (6.30), 1.6k c/d. HR ave 144 max 182. 2.5k shorter than the plan.
    I was apprehensive about this run after last Sunday’s 10 mile race. My body was feeling generally tired, the ‘stay at home’ demons were roaring in my head. In the end, although I cut it short (my lower back was aching and I tired very suddenly at 9k, it was all I could do to get home), it went easier than expected, my HR was far steadier, in the mid 140’s, where it never went below 155 on Sunday, and my pace was faster. Splits are, as usual, bonkers, but I just felt more comfortable. I really think the humidity was my problem on Sunday. A little bit happier.

Thu 6: Alarm woke me at 6.30, thumping headache, raw throat, turned off alarm, woke again at 9.30 (11 hours sleep!) feeling no better, did a bit of remote work, took a break and promptly slept from 11.30-13.30. Headache no better, seeing stars. Rest day.

Fri 7: Get up late and take it easy when I eventually get to work, feeling a bit better than yesterday, but head still thumping. Run, 5,8k easy @ 7.35 HR ave 137 max 168, early to bed.

Sat 8: Rest, headache still lingering, not sure 20 minutes in Woodies helped.

Sun 9:
    Plan: 32.2k LSR
    Actual: 31k @ 7.49, HR ave 142 max 177.
    The distance and mind games well and truly defeated me today. I chose to run towards St. Patrick’s Cathedral and join DCM route through the Phoenix Park/Chapelizod to Dolphin’s Barn and then home. I was surprised how little time is actually spent in the Phoenix Park. Saw some deer and tons of other runners. It was a bit stop-starty, I wasn’t familiar with the route & the Rungo app kept dropping off, so I kept having to stop, re-load the app and check which way to go. Despite that, it all went pretty well until Chapelizod (22k) My left calf started to tighten, getting going again after checking my phone or at traffic lights became a struggle, nearly fell flat on my face at Kilmainham Gaol, struggled on, sat down for 30 seconds on the canal at Dolphin’s Barn (27k) and contemplated giving up. Picked up a bottle of lucozade at the nearby petrol station and got going again. At 28.5k in Harold’s Cross I felt like I was barely moving and each step hurt, so called the cavalry. Then I felt really angry with myself, gritted my teeth, looked 3 feet ahead and started counting to ten over and over as I ran. Maybe the running gods were looking down, but my OH got caught in post Sunday mass traffic and I had covered another 3k before he got to me. The fact that I kept going shows I was giving up too early - that said my calf is very tight, I can barely stand on it now. Maybe I should have listened to my body. I don’t know what to think.

Now can’t decide whether to just rest my calf, or to try stretch it out/foam roll ...

Fuel today: 2 x 250ml electrolyte drinks, 3 glucose tables and 4 clif bloks chews, half a bottle of Lucozade.

I am both disappointed and happy with my week. Less k's than I would have liked, but, given I had some sort of bug, I showed a little bit more grit than I thought I had.

Bath with Epsom salts is great for loosening out the legs, maybe take one & try some foam rolling after if the calf has improved with the bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

I had awful problems with my right calf muscle this week too. Woke up Wednesday morning and it hurt just walking. Foam rolled, massaged and stretched the absolute crap out of it for the rest of the week and it was totally fine for my long run yesterday. Hopefully that could work for you too.

Could you try book a sports massage for this week to ease out the calf? Totally agree with going for an Epsom salts bath too.

Well done on ploughing on with the run when you found it tough.

You're very hard on yourself! You ran 31k in one run. 31k! That's a long way, especially in a week when you weren't 100% and when you found it as tough as you did. Give yourself some credit. Maybe have look at your fueling for your next one? I think 3 Clif Shot Bloks = 1 gel (approx).

Mind that calf!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Hope your calf is feeling better juke. Well done on a great run, that is some distance to cover when you were not feeling 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

I got a tip for keeping the calf muscles loose on long runs, i don't really suffer with them so i'm not sure how well it works, but the tip was to do about 10 butt kicks while running every 30 minutes or so. I also recommend epsom salt bath after big runs.

31k is a super long run, don't beat yourself over the other 1k, it happens even the best of us :p

I had awful problems with my right calf muscle this week too. Woke up Wednesday morning and it hurt just walking. Foam rolled, massaged and stretched the absolute crap out of it for the rest of the week and it was totally fine for my long run yesterday. Hopefully that could work for you too.
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    Could you try book a sports massage for this week to ease out the calf? Totally agree with going for an Epsom salts bath too.

Well done on ploughing on with the run when you found it tough.
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    You're very hard on yourself! You ran 31k in one run. 31k! That's a long way, especially in a week when you weren't 100% and when you found it as tough as you did. Give yourself some credit. Maybe have look at your fueling for your next one? I think 3 Clif Shot Bloks = 1 gel (approx).

Mind that calf!
    ariana` wrote: »
    I got a tip for keeping the calf muscles loose on long runs, i don't really suffer with them so i'm not sure how well it works, but the tip was to do about 10 butt kicks while running every 30 minutes or so. I also recommend epsom salt bath after big runs.

31k is a super long run, don't beat yourself over the other 1k, it happens even the best of us :p

Thanks all - OH tried to help massage it last night :eek:
    Foam rolling is helping :o

As to the butt kicks, I will give them a go - no harm to implement as a 'gee-up' anyway :D

• Advertisement

Mind that calf!

I do think I hadn't enough liquid alright. Didn't feel hungry. The stop-starting probably unsettled me.

As to being hard on myself, I'm just trying to find a balance by questioning myself on here. I wonder, sometimes, when I run, if I don't quit too easily and that running on my own lets me do that without accountability.

In the gym, progression is much easier* to map. Depending on the exercise, either reps. or weight will increase, week on week. If they don't, then I have to question the reason: bad day or lack of effort? I'm also probably less inclined to quit, as coachy sees the result regardless of whether I am training 1 on 1 or alone. He's fussy like that :o

*easier, because it's what I know, mayhaps

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It might just have been a bad day at the office, Juke. I had a really tough day 2 weeks back (found myself very thirsty throughout) but then things went well for me on Saturday, on a longer LSR. I can't think of anything I did appreciably differently, aside from maybe trying to eat a bit more and hydrate a bit better in the few days up to it. You still got 31km done, that's serious mileage!

juke wrote: »

Mind that calf!

I do think I hadn't enough liquid alright. Didn't feel hungry. The stop-starting probably unsettled me.

As to being hard on myself, I'm just trying to find a balance by questioning myself on here. I wonder, sometimes, when I run, if I don't quit too easily and that running on my own lets me do that without accountability.

In the gym, progression is much easier* to map. Depending on the exercise, either reps. or weight will increase, week on week. If they don't, then I have to question the reason: bad day or lack of effort? I'm also probably less inclined to quit, as coachy sees the result regardless of whether I am training 1 on 1 or alone. He's fussy like that :o

*easier, because it's what I know, mayhaps
    You’re right of course. That’s the dual purpose of logging: accountability and analysis. I was just worried that you hadn’t appreciated what you’d achieved.

You’re right of course. That’s the dual purpose of logging: accountability and analysis. I was just worried that you hadn’t appreciated what you’d achieved.

Probably hadn't let it sink in, alright :o

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Despite feeling crap you still completed 97%* of the run you planned - I wouldn't call that giving up at all! You hung in when it was tough. And for what it's worth I think the hydration can definitely make a huge difference to how you feel. I recently did my first properly long run and I brought water (I never drink at all on runs) and couldn't believe how great I felt! Granted, that's one run so not very scientific, but definitely something to pay attention to and see if it makes a difference for you.

*Disclaimer: calculations are somewhat made up and may not be entirely accurate

eyrie wrote: »
    Despite feeling crap you still completed 97%* of the run you planned - I wouldn't call that giving up at all! You hung in when it was tough. And for what it's worth I think the hydration can definitely make a huge difference to how you feel. I recently did my first properly long run and I brought water (I never drink at all on runs) and couldn't believe how great I felt! Granted, that's one run so not very scientific, but definitely something to pay attention to and see if it makes a difference for you.

*Disclaimer: calculations are somewhat made up and may not be entirely accurate

:) Thanks eyrie. Tonights session restored a little bit of faith too.

Memo to self, remember the rule of 5.

DCM W12

Mon 10:
    Plan: Gym
    Actual: 5k rec @ 8.03, HR ave 141 max 171*
    Tired, gym would have been a waste, figured this would do my body a lot better. Also - rather afraid of stretches gym coach may have made me do for my calf #coward :o

Tue 11:
    9.9k easy @ 7.42, HR ave 139 max 177*

*Weird spike in HR on the last 2 days. On Monday for 0.9k, today, 0.3. Both times I felt fine, running very easy, both were on downhills. Think I’ve been wearing my watch too loose.

Wed 12: Plan 1.6k w/u, 14.5k pace, 1.6k c/d;
    Actual, if you ignore my usual dodgy splits, nailed it :cool: HR ave 147 max 162, pace splits probably averaged between 6.30 and 6.40.
    I was dreading this session for weeks. From comments on strava & the novices thread, many novices seem to be cruising these pace sessions, I just couldn’t seem to come to grips with them. Reading a couple of logs over the last week, it dawned on me that, in fact, I’m not alone. A lot of my difficulty is probably my attitude before setting off. I was determined today (and the weather probably helped). Had to make a toilet pit stop and I tired towards the end, but I never felt I was overstretching. My calf tightened a couple of times, so I stretched (and did butt kicks). I won’t say I’m buzzing, but confidence is certainly back in the pale green :)

Thu 13: Rest

Fri 14: Run, 4.7 hilly rec @ 8.16; HR ave 138 max 161.

Sat 15: LSR, 25.6k @ 7.49; HR ave 133 max 149. Final 5 were tough, very tough, but otherwise was happy. I think the difficulty I face with the final 5k, regardless of the distance, is mainly psychological at this stage. I read some logs/strava and some do an extra mile because they feel great...I can only hope that comes with time. Decided to be a bit more aggressive on fluids and added in a shop stop where I bought the only small bottle of liquid they had. Nutrition: 2 x 250ml electrolyte drinks, 3 glucose tables and 4 clif bloks chews, 250ml mango ribena.

I found it hard to get going at the outset, so the late start left me with only time to eat and shower before leaving for Leinster’s first home game. Felt it in the legs walkinghobbling to & from RDS. Bed by 10pm and slept for a restless 10 hours.

Sun 16: Plan: Run 4.8k recovery
    Actual: less than 1k slow jog, followed by 2k walk. Front of my ankles ache when I tried to run, too uncomfortable. Walking was fine.

62.9k for the week, the most ever.

I've made appointment to see a sports therapist for a tune up next week - not a moment too soon.

DCM W13

Mon 17: Gym: Squat fail - ankles* refused to cooperate. Deadlift, Lat pull down, single leg deadlift, shoulder press, triceps.

Tue 18: Plan - 6.4k pmp & strides. Actual: rest. Worked late, physical therapist booked for morning and plan is to go on holidays after. Decided I better start thinking about packing.

Wed 19: Massage - legs very tight. Storm Amy led to deferring our trip for a day. Rest.

Thu 20: Run, 1.6k w/h, 6.4k pace, 5 x strides, HR ave 146 max 165. Enjoyed that. Head to rainy West Cork after.

Fri 21: LSR 27.3k @ 7.51, HR ave 144 max 176.
    Saw a decent window in weather and visiting plans and decided to do my LSR a day early. A poorly (as in, about 2-3 minutes looking at the map, never having been in the area before) researched run from Schull to Crookhaven was the decision, with instructions to my OH to collect me in ‘3-4 hours’. He only agreed to my madness, sure I would get lost, when I agreed to share my location with him on google maps.
    The weather and scenery were glorious. The road was a challenge, without footpath or hard shoulder, and was (to me) surprisingly busy for what was in effect a road to (a stunning) nowhere. No headphones, had to concentrate on traffic, lots of stop starting as a result. Struggled at the end, the only thing keeping me going was a promise of a paddle in the sea. That was bliss for about 15 seconds, until my feet realised, in fact, the water was freezing! OH found me...and no, I didn't manage to get lost.
    Tired after, my feet especially *.

Nutrition: 4 x glucose tablets, 2 x figs, 3 x drinks, 4 x Cliff block chews

Sat 21, Sun 22: Rest, visit friends, Late night, much indulgence, zero discipline :o Getting the LSR in on Friday was the right decision.

* Displayed great skill at ignoring warning symptoms, which have only became really obvious during last week. All has not been well. My strategy to deal with the panic rising in my head has been considered and mature: completely avoid the novices thread and fellow novices logs all week, keep a poor eye on Strava, stay in Cork 2 days longer than planned. Deny, delay and ignore and it will all go away right? :rolleyes:

DCM W14

Mon 24: Rest. Head to Kenmare for a little pampering.

Tue 25: 7.5k easy @ 7.26. HR ave 143 max 162
    OH discovered the car had a puncture. Decided to get my run in while he went to a garage. Loop around Kenmare - another lovely part of the world. Felt great.
    Ankles swell up that evening, really uncomfortable.

Wed 26:
    Weather is stunning and I don’t have to be home until Friday. Return to Schull - why not? Ankles a bit better, fell asleep on a sun lounger in 21 degrees.

Thu 27: Another stunning day, feel good, 2.5 hour hike around Mizen Head/Barley Cove. Home barely an hour and my ankles are cancles again :eek: I have no idea what’s going on. This is not something I really suffer from - occasionally after a long haul flight, that’s all :confused:

Fri 28: Return to Dublin for a work event in the evening. Feet killing me in my moderate heels.

Sat 29: 5.8k easy @ 7.33. HR ave 140 max 153
    Feet tired, body feels in good shape otherwise. Decided to test my feet. I found this run pretty hard, but happy to get out.

Home now, with feet elevated, to see what happens. Need to decide whether to try the LSR tomorrow. I have a physio appointment on Tuesday: shoulder/grip follow-up. I may have to turn it into a leg investigation. Freaking out a bit, not at all prepared to consider the worst just yet :(

• Advertisement

Hope the ankles sort themselves out or physio can help. That run in West Cork sounds fab ... even if traffic got in the way a bit.

Advertisement