Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear is the key

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

No worst at all, let the physio have a look and you’ll be grand. Nothing wrong with panicking a bit, only natural at this stage. You will be fine, trust me. Had pleasure of seeing Kenmare myself over the summer, words don’t do it justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Thanks both...how to stop my mind from going into overdrive :confused:

DCM W14 cont

Sun 30: 30k @ 8.11, HR ave 137 max 176.
    This was a hard slog. Feet ached, one went numb after 4k, the rest of me was fine. Early on I paused regularly to stretch. Later I just paused :o
    I had planned a route of 3x10k+ loops, so I could stash drinks and cut it short if need be. Cut the 3rd loop short. This was a lot slower than planned - more like recovery pace than LSR for the second half. Happier though, that I got out rather than rested.

Nutrition: 4 x glucose tablets, 4 x figs, 3 x drinks, fruit pastilles.

Did some stretching when I got home, plus lay on the ground for a good old leg drain. I have my feet up since. In my early 40’s I was told by a gastro-consultant that I have the intestines of an 80 year old. I fear my lower limbs are following in the same direction :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

The physio appointment is tomorrow isn't it? Hope he/she is able to sort the legs out and put your mind at rest.
    And 30k yesterday is a great run to get in anyway!

DCM W15

Mon 1: Skip gym, epsom salt bath.

Tue 2:
    AM Physio: it’s not clear why my ankles are swelling, could just be running volume. I’m doing everything right as regards classic causes (electrolytes, water etc for dehydration). She said I won’t do myself any harm by continuing to run - the swelling would just be uncomfortable. She found no sign of any damage/problems with my feet/ankles/calves, other than expected tightness. She suggested better calf stretching to make sure I have full calf/ankle mobility before I run. Otherwise, stop stressing and she’ll see me with treats on the DCM course :cool:

Not quite sure how I feel/think. On the one hand relieved, on the other, frustrated.

PM 8k easy @ 7.30. HR ave 141 max 171.
    This was anything but 'easy'. Also, winter is coming - park now closes @ 6pm :( Just as well taper approaches.

DCM W15 cont

Wed 3: Sports massage (with a physical therapist) - more tips on helping my ankles - and also full agreement on what the physio said.

Thu 4: Run, 1.6k w/u, 8k pace, 1.6k w/d, HR ave 145 max 162
    Pushed this a bit harder than usual, probably faster than pmp….but the park was about to close and as it was, a (justifiably) grumpy park attendant let me and 2 other errant runners out at 6.10. It felt far easier than Tuesday, though.

Fri 5: Run, 4.8k rec @ 7.54. HR ave 152 max 161.

Sat 6: LSR, 32.2k @ 7.50, HR ave 153 max 189 (odd spike @ 50 min - crossing the road, I think?). Tried new nutrition today (in addition to my regulars): hi five caffeine water gel @ 23k, bought a bounty bar & raspberry lucozade @ 29k onward. Ran part of DCM route, Dolphin’s Barn to Heartbreak Hill and headed for home - walked up Mount Anville hill though :o stopping completely to take the gel.
    This was an additional 2 miles off plan, but seeing as, between calves & dodgy ankles, I haven’t managed 20 miles so far, in my head, I really needed to do this. Just to convince myself before the taper, that I’m not a complete impostor. So relieved and happy I did. Got my route wrong again, and took the wrong way home (sheer blond moment), and had to add in an extra couple of k very close to home - which was mental torture of itself.

Sun 7: 3.2k rec @ 8.09. HR ave 132 max 147.
    Taper is here - and not a moment to soon. I’m shattered today, shattered. As it is, I am looking at next week's plan and wondering if I’ll have the energy for it. Beginning to get excited too. All spare time now (aside from all usual life duties) involve me with my ankles elevated and stretching.

Told a client (former runner) of my DCM plan this week - he looked at me, said 'oh no, juke' in despairing voice and put his head in his hands :eek: :D Maybe it's a disease.

• Advertisement

DCM W16

Mon 8: Gym, trapbar deads, bench, one-arm row, single leg straight deads, shoulder press (arnold), biceps.

Tue 9
    : Run, 8k easy @ 7.34. HR ave 137 max 155. Ankles quite swollen, ah well.

Wed 10: Run, plan was 8k easy, did 3.5 @ 7.29, HR ave 140 max 170. Couldn’t get my pace right at all, too fast/too slow, legs, ankles all ached, breathing laboured, called it a day.

Thu 11:
    Work late, rest

Fri 12:
    Rest

Sat 13: Run, 22.5k lsr @ 7.37. HR ave 139 max 186.
    Wet. Decided to head out and test my clothes for wet weather chafing, rather than wait until tomorrow. I enjoyed it - probably my favourite run of all! Stuck to a tried and tested route. Didn’t realise how cold and wet I actually was until about 15k when I tried to open a gel - my hands were shaking so hard, I couldn’t and as soon as I slowed down, my body started shivering. Got moving again pretty promptly.

Generally, I’m so very tired. Sleeping a lot, eating more, wondering where the taper energy is. Ankles still swelling up sporadically. Nearly there now.

DCM W17

Mon 15: Gym, trapbar deads, bench, Lat pull down, single leg straight deads, shoulder press, triceps.

Tue 16:
    6.5k easy @ 7.19. HR ave 134 max 157.

Wed 17:
    Rest - terrible headache all day.

Thu 18: Rest

Fri 19
    : 6.4k with strides, HR ave 150 max 161 :confused: - I don’t believe this, remarkably low during the strides.

Sat 20:
    Plan was 5k easy, but an unexpected day-trip to Cork stole the daylight hours.

Sun 21: last LSR @ 7.12, 12.9k, HR ave 157 max 161
    Enjoyed this a lot, small Boards meet-up, beautiful conditions, lots of chat, followed by coffee & cake. Time flew by. My garmin clearly decided to finish early, however, as it has my heart rate @ a constant 161 for the entire last hour. Now is not the time for my watch to have a meltdown :mad:

I still have one or two minor decisions to make before this day week:
    • Fuel
    • Clothes
    • Run strategy
    • Friend meeting points

Every time I try to think about them, my stomach clenches and my heart rate jumps :o When does the denial stop?

Still no sign of the elusive taper energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

juke wrote: »

• Fuel
    • Clothes
    • Run strategy
    • Friend meeting points

Every time I try to think about them, my stomach clenches and my heart rate jumps :o When does the denial stop?

Still no sign of the elusive taper energy.

Your runs are getting quicker for a similar HR, which is a sign!

If you're anything like me, finalising your list will make you feel better.

I'm sure your watch will be fine but if you're stuck, you can borrow mine.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Your runs are getting quicker for a similar HR, which is a sign!

If you're anything like me, finalising your list will make you feel better.

I'm sure your watch will be fine but if you're stuck, you can borrow mine.

Oh, thanks for that, I'll let you know. One less thing to stress about :)

DCM W17

• Fuel
    • Clothes
    • Run strategy
    • Friend meeting points

SAME!! I cannot make my brain focus on deciding the last details. Every time I try to think about them I just instantly distract myself with something else. Ugh. Let's make a deal that we'll have done it by.... Wednesday?

Glad you had fun at the meet up today, I'm raging I missed it!

• Advertisement

eyrie wrote: »
    SAME!! I cannot make my brain focus on deciding the last details. Every time I try to think about them I just instantly distract myself with something else. Ugh. Let's make a deal that we'll have done it by.... Wednesday?

Glad you had fun at the meet up today, I'm raging I missed it!

Ok deal, Wednesday :eek:

Meet up was good, if I'd had that to look forward to more often, my LSR's would have been far easier!

Ok deal, Wednesday :eek:
    Soooo... I failed miserably :o You? In fairness I have decided on my outfit. Most of it...

eyrie wrote: »
    Soooo... I failed miserably :o You? In fairness I have decided on my outfit. Most of it...

What are we like :eek:
    • T-shirt yes, but not shorts.
    • Very conservation paceband prepared....still not decided whether to drop a wave
    • Meeting points - still in denial

What are we like :eek:
    • T-shirt yes, but not shorts.
    • Very conservation paceband prepared....still not decided whether to drop a wave
    • Meeting points - still in denial
    The meeting points are the hardest!! Right? Which makes no sense at all. But I refuse to even think about it! Ha, what are we like...
    I can't decide about dropping a wave or not either. Might go ask the wise ones on the novices thread :pac:

Hysteria Week better known as DCM W18 (also Birthday Week :))

Mon 22: Rest (translated: head shopper/laundry-person/chef)

Tue 23: Run, 3.2k easy @ 7.20, HR ave 137 max 152.
    Chef again. Why am I getting the impression my OH is enjoying taper time?

Wed 24: Rest, sports massage: one of my most favourite things to do.

Thu 25: Run, 1.6k w/u, 5k pace 1k w/d, HR ave 148 max 181 (doesn’t look right...).
    It was to be 5k pmp…..but that involves actually thinking the words and deciding what pmp is going to be.

Time is running out, as I continue to procrastinate. I have prepared what I think is a conservative paceband (boy that could come back and bite me :eek:). Mainly to keep me in check for the first 10-15k. My aim is to get around, running all the way, try for a negative split, and, if I ever hope to do another marathon, to enjoy the whole thing. I’m excited and terrified in equal measure.

I am in wave 3 - but rightly belong in wave 4. I’ve decided (I think) to let wave 3 away, avail of the portoloos without the queues and start say 5 min. after them and try run my own race. I think. Maybe. Perhaps. I think.

I’ve one race route meeting point arranged @ 5k - because that’s easy and my brother lives on the route. Too early to be nutritionally useful, but I’ll look forward to the cheers. My mentor will be on Orwell Road (most likely wondering where on earth I am...we can’t all be 2:18:xx runners :rolleyes:). Not decided on the others.

I have enough race fuel (gels, bloks, drinks, jellies, glucose, figs etc) to feed 6 marathoners...just have to decide what to actually bring me.

Going to try collect my bib tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Happy birthday week! You do do things in style :)

I'll be out on course around Milltown to cheer you on. (SCHNELL!)

I really hope you've an absolutely amazing run and get to soak it all in.

See you in McGrattan's!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Very best of luck on Sunday, get into your groove, relax and take it from there. You’ll run a great marathon. Hopefully meet you in McGrattans.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Very best of luck on Sunday, get into your groove, relax and take it from there. You’ll run a great marathon. Hopefully meet you in McGrattans.

Enjoy your pacing gig - hope it goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Happy Birthday. Hope you have a great run tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Hope you have a fantastic marathon tomorrow. Enjoy and good luck!

• Advertisement

We made it! Hope you have a great run tomorrow and looking forward to meeting you before/after.
    And belated happy birthday!

I want to run a marathon before I’m 50 :eek ;)

362 days to spare :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

362 days to spare :P

How about 50k before you're 50?!

chickey2 wrote: »
    How about 50k before you're 50?!

:eek:

Birthday week,
    Day 6 (Saturday 27): Run, easy 3.2k

Day 7: DCM 2018

Morning
    Boards novices meetup @ 8 settled my nerves, walked up to bag drop with Applegirl, Strawberry Swan and effibear. Headed to the line with Applegirl and A. The company was great, taking my mind off things. Gradually discarded my layers and uneaten banana.

Race
    K’s 1-10: Ran loosely with Applegirl and effibear, kept it controlled, resisted the urge to speed up, amazed by the crowds. My name on my singlet was a hit. Remembered the advice to smile. Missed my brother in Stoneybatter (he relied on the tracker and assumed I’d passed when I was still 5 minutes away). Applegirl pulled away. Up to the park, felt strong. Entertained (?) by some Malahide Estuary lady runners, who were running with a strict [run-walk-stretch] regime while they chatted (loudly) about their marital difficulties. 10k bang on target.

7:17, 7:05, 6:59, 7:02, 7:04, 6:59, 6:59, 7:05, 7:00, 7:03

K’s 11-20: Castleknock was something else. Easy to smile here. Feeling strong, 15k a bit behind the paceband but happy to keep conservative pace. Long way to go yet. corcaigh passed us around the Furry Glen in the park, I think - heard the shout out, but he was passed before I digested who it was. Lose effibear at the 16k water station. Build the tempo slightly, lose the marital woes too, feel good going up St. Lawrence Rd. and up into Kilmainham.

6:58, 6:57, 7:12, 7:01, 7:11, 6:53, 6:48, 6:53, 6:35, 6:43

K's 21-30: Up into Crumlin, still feeling good. Hear loads of shoutouts, but assume it’s just people seeing my name on my t-shirt. From Walkinstown roundabout, feet beginning to get tired. Would be lovely to see some friendly faces - expecting friends on Fortfield Road and Terenure. Didn’t see them. Beginning to struggle. Why do my feet always get so hot, ankles beginning to feel tight and uncomfortable.

6:50, 7:11, 6:53, 6:47, 6:49, 6:57, 6:51, 6:55, 6:48, 7:05

K’s 31-40: Surrounded by loads of people, feel quite alone. It’s ok, my mentor will be on Orwell. Oh no, he’s not. Sh1t :(. This is really beginning to hurt. Starting to feel overwhelmed. Would my OH be at the arches in Milltown? It’s hurting. Maybe I can just go home with him. But then I won’t get a finisher’s top. Get choked up, struggle to get breath in, heart rate is fine, see him in the distance, can hardly breath, burst out crying. He gave me huge hug, told me I was ⅔ there, that he was so proud of me and pushed me on my way, with drink, banana & salty chocolate. Eat half the banana and a square of chocolate. See another friend before the hill, use the boost to run up. Focus on keeping moving, know there’s 2 decent hills ahead, feel myself slowing. Stop in Clonskeagh, lean against a car, breath, move again - walking, maybe 40 yards. Encouraged by another runner to run, we’ll do 100 steps he said, I run, 40 he shouts, I keep running, he shouts 80 and I hear my name - a pained looking Strawberry Swan is beside me, fighting hard. So good to see another familiar face. This is the most I’ve ever run, of course it’s going to hurt. 36k and I’m at the top of Roebuck - and I know my friend will be around the corner. She is, more chocolate and encouragement. Manage to swallow 1 bite of Bounty. Tears. Some stranger on a bike is shouting at me, as I come to the end of Foster’s Ave - goddammit, my mentor, when I am barely moving :rolleyes:. And why am I struggling anyway - my legs feel strong, breathing good, heart-rate very steady. Try to up the pace, but my feet and ankles just can’t. He’s on the course randomly as I pass (from the pictures he sent me) but I’m oblivious. Turn off my watch and just concentrate on moving, counting down the distance. Another shout out, Kittyclaws passes me in Ballsbridge looking good.

7:20, 7:17, 7:16, 8:46, 7:35, 7:51, 7:40, 7:03, 7:11, 7:18

K’s 41-42.5
    Crowds are loud, I keep trying to smile, green arch ahead, My feet are so tired and sore, keep smiling I say, keep smiling. Blue mat, tears, medal. It’s over.

7:07, 6:56, 3:13

Chip time 5:01:38
    HR Ave 148, Max 182 (@ St Lawrence Rd).

Summary: Back/shoulder injury in July really didn’t help, as I lost 2 weeks building miles. My swelling ankles in September, presumably a symptom of running, hit my confidence. I had a drink with me but I took water at every station, even when I felt I didn’t need to. Think that was the right decision. I think I fuelled well. My feet are like melons today. I won’t get into the gory toe detail - suffice to say it will be awhile before I’ll be able to wear a shoe/runner. Dodgy feet didn't stop me getting to McGrattans. Powerlifting doesn’t lend itself to running, I had hoped my leg and core strength would be a benefit. Strength was no good when my feet gave up. I really wanted to hit sub-5. I did my best, and I can't ask for more than that.

Managed a 2k walk today in flipflops.

Tired and emotional, but proud as heck :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Brilliant report. It paints a very vivid picture. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

And you should be proud. Well done. Loved reading that. Great meeting you too yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

Well done you :-) Just realised today you had a log. Was really lovely to meet up with you and other novices yesterday morning.
    Great report, you give a real feel for what it's like. The support is on route is amazing but it means so much to have friends / family there too, esp when not going so well. You did the running and didn't give up. Hope you're proud of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

Great read, well done! Sorry I lost you, my niece was at the water station and I stopped for a second to say hi. I could see you up ahead and was hoping to catch up but wasn’t to be. Really enjoyed running with you- normally on my own so it was great. Especially as you were the most popular woman on the course :-D

• Advertisement

Brilliant report juke! Great reading. Congratulations again. Delighted I got to meet you in McGrattan's!

Advertisement