Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Dublin bus day trip

Options
  • 19-02-2017 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

Hi guys can anyone recommend a handy hike to take that's accessible by Dublin bus? Im located in kimmage. Looking to stay out all day and see wonderful views

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I seen online a good route is marlay park to enniskerry. Finding it hard to find an exact route to take however

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I seen online a good route is marlay park to enniskerry. Finding it hard to find an exact route to take however

Just follow the Wicklow Way for that and turn off east along the road after Prince Williams Seat (before Knockree).

http://www.wicklowway.com/trail-maps/marlay-park-knockree.php

Another option is the Dublin Mountains Way. It runs from Shankill to Tallaght - lots of it accessible easily by Dublin Bus from Kimmage.

http://www.dublinmountains.ie/dublin_mountains_way/dublin_mountains_way/

Three Rock and Fairy Castle are close to Marlay Park which many buses run close to. The 16 from Terenure for example.

You could even get the bus to Marlay hike from there to Three Rock and follow the DMW to Cruagh and back down towards Marlay for the bus home.

One final option before I go home for the day. There is a bus (private I think) that runs to Glendalough from Dublin in the morning and back in the evening. You've options there too. Spink, Mullacor, Derrybawn, Cammaderry and Wicklow Gap all lovely walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Orion wrote: »
    One final option before I go home for the day. There is a bus (private I think) that runs to Glendalough from Dublin in the morning and back in the evening. You've options there too. Spink, Mullacor, Derrybawn, Cammaderry and Wicklow Gap all lovely walks.

That's St. Kevin's Bus Service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

You won't get a full day out of it, but Howth has a great walk around the cliffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Hi guys we went today starting at marlay park to two peak or something is it? Very windy and cloudy...We loved it!!! I thought it'd be a good idea to end in enniskerry which ended up being a crap 4 mike walk through country roads. Perfect hike up until then.

I'll look into the recommendations for definite for my next hike.

We recently did a hike up to the hellfire club and a bike ride to howth to the peak up there.

So since December that's 3 amazing views of our scenery I got.

I would love to do the glendalough bus. I was there with college doing field work before and it was breath taking.

We weren't too far from the sugar loaf, anyway to get to it using public transport?

The 45A goes to Kilmacanogue which is right beside the two Sugarloafs.

Hi guys we went today starting at marlay park to two peak or something is it?

Two Rock or Three Rock I'd say. In fact if coming from Marlay possibly both.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

MarkY91 wrote:
    Hi guys can anyone recommend a handy hike to take that's accessible by Dublin bus? Im located in kimmage. Looking to stay out all day and see wonderful views

The 65 goes out to blessingston and ballymore. Some go to ballyknockan which is very good for a hike Check the times cos not all go that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,112 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

ShadyAcres wrote: »
    The 65 goes out to blessingston and ballymore. Some go to ballyknockan which is very good for a hike Check the times cos not all go that way.

Only two runs a day to Ballyknockan and on a Monday to Friday basis. They both depart the city at 5:30 in the AM and PM and a late bus home at 7PM. Unless you are willing to raise really early or to walk out to Ballyknockan and aim to be there by 7 then it's not a lot of use to hikers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

We weren't too far from the sugar loaf, anyway to get to it using public transport?

Try this route here:
    DART to Bray.
    45a to Kilmacanogue.
    Up the Sugarloaf.
    Along country roads to North Greystones.
    Cliff Walk to Bray.
    Maybe 18km in total, if you're tired, then take the train back from Greystones.
    Only two runs a day to Ballyknockan and on a Monday to Friday basis. They both depart the city at 5:30 in the AM and PM and a late bus home at 7PM. Unless you are willing to raise really early or to walk out to Ballyknockan and aim to be there by 7 then it's not a lot of use to hikers.

65 also goes to Ballymore Eustace

You can do St Kevin's Walk in a day and get to Glendalough by the time the evening bus is going. 35 KM in total. There's a good report here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056653125

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Great views? Start at Marley park, head up the kellystown road and then up to the three rock. You will start seeing great views when you come opposite Mr Clayton's abode. From the three rock head west and hook up to the wicklow way and later head along the tibradden ridge. then down through the pine forest, larch hill and back to marley park. About 10 miles but a good workout as there is a fair amount of altitude gain. And great views of course. See hear for route map: http://walkingroutes.ie/detail.php?rid=2577

Advertisement