Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inaccessible HDD

Options
  • 19-02-2017 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭

Short story is I dropped a 2.5 inch HDD that I was using in an enclosure with my STB under the TV. Drive is now stuck in a repetitive read sequence and can't be accessed with Windows telling me the drive needs to be formatted when I hook it up USB, and disk management hangs if I try and hook it up over SATA.
    What does anyone recommend for recovering my files? I tried a few dos programs off a few different HirenBCDs and on one - Ontrack EasyRecovery - it can see the files I want to recover but when I go to browse where I want these recovered files to be saved the only options it gives me are A: floppy. C: - CDROM, and R - RAMdrive - it doesn't show my other SATA HDD - even though it sees it on the initial scan to choose what drive to recover - very frustrating. Is there any program anyone can recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Use Testdisk(Photorec)
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

You'll be able to keep the working disk mounted in windows (Its probably GPT thus the bootable programs cant read its file table).

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭sheepy01

Sorry to say this, but I am definitely sure you wont be able to recovery anything by yourself. You said you dropped it, can you hear it clicking? Heads might be gone, or even the amplifier in the heads, which means the controller is damaged too. You need professional work done here. Software is not going to help at all.

Advertisement