Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please take part in this Irish language study!

Options
  • 19-02-2017 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/3311292/English-Irish-Mixed-Assessment

Dia Duit. Táimid ag déanamh taighde ar conas is féidir foghlaim dhá theanga éifeacht ar dhaoine aonair fadhb cumais réiteach. Is éard atá sa staidéar ar roinnt teasers inchinn agus tomhaiseanna a thomhas gnéithe de réiteach fadhbanna agus folaíonn sé freisin teanga agus eolas ginearálta ceistneoir cúlra. Chun ár staidéar, a cheangal againn rannpháirtithe nach labhraíonn ach Béarla chomh maith leo siúd a bhfuil Gaeilge agus i mBéarla. Tá an staidéar ar fad ar líne agus tógann níos lú ná 45 nóiméad. Páirt a ghlacadh sa staidéar Cuidíonn tairbhe ár dtuiscint ar conas foghlaim Féadfaidh Ghaeilge éifeacht ár fhadhb cumais réiteach agus freisin d'fhéadfadh a dhéanann tú níos an eolas faoi do chumas an duine aonair agus ina dhiaidh sin iad a fheabhsú. Ba mhaith liom buíoch go mór do chuid rannpháirtíochta!

Má tá aon cheist agat maidir leis an staidéar a dhéanamh tú féadfaidh tú dul i dteagmháil leis seo a leanas:
    Taighdeoir Mac Léinn Baitsiléir: Ethan Keeney; e.keeney2@nuigalway.ie
    Maoirseoir: Dr. Mark Elliott; mark.elliott@nuigalway.ie

Hi there. We are conducting research on how learning two languages may effect an individuals problem solving ability. The study consists of a number of brain teasers and riddles which measure aspects of problem solving and also includes a language and general knowledge background questionnaire. For our study, we require participants who speak only English as well as those who speak both Irish and English. The study is all online and takes less than 45 minutes. Taking part in this study helps benefit our understanding of how learning Irish may effect our problem solving capabilities and also may make you more aware of your individual abilities and in turn improve them. I would greatly appreciate your participation!

If you have any questions about the study you may contact the following:
    Bachelor Student Researcher: Ethan Keeney; e.keeney2@nuigalway.ie
    Supervisor: Dr Mark Elliott, mark.elliott@nuigalway.ie

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Did you guys run your press release through Google Translate? I'm pretty sure I spotted it on Gaeilge Amháin on Facebook earlier as well. It's littered with awkward translation and other little errors. Not a good start, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cathellen

Cheap mise an rud céanna. Ní raibh mé in ann é a thuiscint.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Cathellen wrote: »
    Cheap mise an rud céanna. Ní raibh mé in ann é a thuiscint.

Tá botúin ann sa leagan Béarla, fiú.

"effect" in áit "affect" (faoi dhó) agus uaschamóg in easnamh in "individual's". Measaim go mbeadh sé níos fearr le fleiscín nó dhó in áiteanna freisin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Sorry but the survey is wayyyyyy too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

This survey has nothing to do with problem solving ability. It is a thinly disguised psychological survey.

I thought it was suspicious while I was doing it, due to the nature of many of the questions, and I mentioned that I thought it was a psychological experiment in the comment section on the last page.

Then, after doing the whole thing, which took a ridiculous amount of time, it didn't even submit properly and redirected me to a psychology research page of NUIG.

I just looked up Dr Mark Elliott and he is a professor of psychology. I think it's very deceptive of the student researcher to withhold that information and I would urge people not to participate.

Also, it has nothing to do with Gaeilge. The Gaeilge section is just more or less a repeat of the English section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

This survey has nothing to do with problem solving ability. It is a thinly disguised psychological survey.

I thought it was suspicious while I was doing it, due to the nature of many of the questions, and I mentioned that I thought it was a psychological experiment in the comment section on the last page.

Then, after doing the whole thing, which took a ridiculous amount of time, it didn't even submit properly and redirected me to a psychology research page of NUIG.

I just looked up Dr Mark Elliott and he is a professor of psychology. I think it's very deceptive of the student researcher to withhold that information and I would urge people not to participate.

Also, it has nothing to do with Gaeilge. The Gaeilge section is just more or less a repeat of the English section.

From deceptive information to dodgy translations to lack of transparency (in the form of a link to the department page, for example), this is a bit of a cheeky request by the op to be honest. I'd be surprised if anyone finished the survey right through to the end.

It's beginning to look like this has very little to do with the Gaeilge forum.

As such, thread locked. OP may PM me to discuss it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement