Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with pronounciation please.

Options
  • 19-02-2017 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I believe the original 13th century Gaelic word for my surname "Palmer" used to be "O'Maolfhogmhair". Can someone tell me how O'Maolfhogmhair is pronounced properly?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ó Mweel-fore would be close enough, I reckon. Mweel-foe-ver in some parts of the country. Never heard it myself before though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MikeP12B

It's an old name based on research. It seems it was for immigrants at the time, and "Millford" was also an acceptable translation. Thank you for looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

There's a small typo in the O.P., it should be Ó Maolfhoghmhair.

Maol in names came to be pronounced "mul" quite early (as the stress is on the syllable following it).
    Maolfhoghmhair would most likely be pronounced "muLOWer".

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

I'm not suggesting you change that old spelling, but just to let you know that the modern version is Ó Maolómhar.
    De Bhulbh says about it that it was to be found in "some parts of Leath Mhogha".

Advertisement