Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good places for fly fishing?

Options
  • 19-02-2017 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Got a full fly set up last year and didn't catch a thing. Tried fishing the Dodder around Ballsbridge area and it wasn't much use. Plenty of fish but the river isn't very fishable as there isn't a lot of space to cast (maybe it's just me?).

I'm looking to give it a good go this year and I'm going to buy a set of waders so I can actually get into the water. Is there any good locations around Dublin (or within say a 60km radius) where I can expect to have a good day of fly fishing? I'd be fishing for trout.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Silversun

Look up gormanston district anglers, there's a nice little lake out the back of balbriggan stocked with trout. Used to fish there years ago when I was a kid. Not sure what it's like now.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

To be honest starting off you should go for some stockies, there's a good few reasons, as wild trout tricky if you haven't got a lesson, as presentations is key, may I ask if you have got a lesson, one of the main reasons is to get an instructor asap as it helps so much, I belive courtlough have an instructor there and they have a good fishery from what I've herd, practise and practice is the only way I would start off a good few times on stockies before actually going for some wild trout, also most of the rivers aren't open till 1st march to tell you, wild trout just depends on where you're fishing, I don't on rivers that are stuffed with fish, I'm sure there's plenty of rivers near you some that I've heard of are the Dodder as mentioned, tolka (which is stocked) as long as you've got a lesson then your sorted, I've only ever got one proper one and got a few 10 min instructions in angling expos ( free by the way ) what sort of trout flies do you have? Most flies like the Hears ear goldhead, pheasant tail goldhead,and sort of Klinkinhammers are deadly I caught my pb on a size 16 klinkhammer! If you're fishing for stockies use something flashy like a cats whisker that will defo get you something!

Also for waders try and get a good pair breathable are very good in hot summers you don't sweat much, as if you don't your pants are full of sweat!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 bigjohn17

To be honest starting off you should go for some stockies, there's a good few reasons, as wild trout tricky if you haven't got a lesson, as presentations is key, may I ask if you have got a lesson, one of the main reasons is to get an instructor asap as it helps so much, I belive courtlough have an instructor there and they have a good fishery from what I've herd, practise and practice is the only way I would start off a good few times on stockies before actually going for some wild trout, also most of the rivers aren't open till 1st march to tell you, wild trout just depends on where you're fishing, I don't on rivers that are stuffed with fish, I'm sure there's plenty of rivers near you some that I've heard of are the Dodder as mentioned, tolka (which is stocked) as long as you've got a lesson then your sorted, I've only ever got one proper one and got a few 10 min instructions in angling expos ( free by the way ) what sort of trout flies do you have? Most flies like the Hears ear goldhead, pheasant tail goldhead,and sort of Klinkinhammers are deadly I caught my pb on a size 16 klinkhammer! If you're fishing for stockies use something flashy like a cats whisker that will defo get you something!

Also for waders try and get a good pair breathable are very good in hot summers you don't sweat much, as if you don't your pants are full of sweat!
    Silversun wrote: »
    Look up gormanston district anglers, there's a nice little lake out the back of balbriggan stocked with trout. Used to fish there years ago when I was a kid. Not sure what it's like now.

Yeah I was definitely looking into heading up to Courtlough fishery this weekend to give me the best chance of catching something starting off. They say on their site that the summer months can be hard to fish because of weed growth, does the lake fish well around this time of year?

I have a bunch of flies which I bought last year, not sure of the names. I also have a fly tying kit.

bigjohn17 wrote: »
    Yeah I was definitely looking into heading up to Courtlough fishery this weekend to give me the best chance of catching something starting off. They say on their site that the summer months can be hard to fish because of weed growth, does the lake fish well around this time of year?

I have a bunch of flies which I bought last year, not sure of the names. I also have a fly tying kit.

Well yea it would fish good all year, during the winter months all the weed dies off and then around summer time they all start to grow back so you might have to change your tactics, during the winter I would fish di3 lines and even in the summer I would, but normally I just try and fish with dry flies because it's great fun seeing them take off the surface,

Have you got a casting instruction?

Well yea it would fish good all year, during the winter months all the weed dies off and then around summer time they all start to grow back so you might have to change your tactics, during the winter I would fish di3 lines and even in the summer I would, but normally I just try and fish with dry flies because it's great fun seeing them take off the surface,

Have you got a casting instruction?

No I watched a few youtube vids and practised on a local (empty) lake. Think I'll head up to Courtlough this weekend

• Advertisement

No I watched a few youtube vids and practised on a local (empty) lake. Think I'll head up to Courtlough this weekend

Try and get the instructor in courtlough I herd he was good, it really pays off in the long run! I'm sure they'd do a deal with you, an hour instructor plus fishing etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

theres a very instructor in clane. he runs cleeres angling centre. you could give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dekky

Hi Bigjohn, i'm in the situation as you. Just wondering did you ever get sorted?

Dekky wrote: »
    Hi Bigjohn, i'm in the situation as you. Just wondering did you ever get sorted?

Highly recommend Courtlough Fishery. Some huge trout in there and Garrett the owner is bang on. Make sure you give him a call before showing up though as he prefers to meet new anglers before letting them out. If you're new to fly fishing it's definitely worth getting some tuition from him. Also make sure you show up with some decent flies - get a few trout lures.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 wicklapaul

Got a full fly set up last year and didn't catch a thing. Tried fishing the Dodder around Ballsbridge area and it wasn't much use. Plenty of fish but the river isn't very fishable as there isn't a lot of space to cast (maybe it's just me?).

I'm looking to give it a good go this year and I'm going to buy a set of waders so I can actually get into the water. Is there any good locations around Dublin (or within say a 60km radius) where I can expect to have a good day of fly fishing? I'd be fishing for trout.

Head down the N81 to baltinglass, they river Slaney is mostly free fishing from baltinglass to tullomo, they only problem is the fish are quite small, maybe 5 to the lb, but there is an occasional big one , but the are unlikely, if it's just fun your after then it's OK river to flyfish, if you're a novice bring plenty of spare gear, lots and lots of tree's about,

• Advertisement

Highly recommend Courtlough Fishery. Some huge trout in there and Garrett the owner is bang on. Make sure you give him a call before showing up though as he prefers to meet new anglers before letting them out. If you're new to fly fishing it's definitely worth getting some tuition from him. Also make sure you show up with some decent flies - get a few trout lures.

Nice to hear that the lesson worked out that's the way forward could get a lesson again in the next few months has you could pickup bad habits I done 3 lessons in the first year of starting now on my 7th year now! Have to fish courtlough one of the days what pound fish they stock now?

Nice to hear that the lesson worked out that's the way forward could get a lesson again in the next few months has you could pickup bad habits I done 3 lessons in the first year of starting now on my 7th year now! Have to fish courtlough one of the days what pound fish they stock now?

Heard there was an 18lber put in recently

• Registered Users Posts: 29 evilgannet

Get a fly casting lesson from a qualified instructor; you'll learn more in an hour than you will watching youtube or fishing mates in 10 years.
    Then fish for stockies first to get the confidence up. Wild fish are fickle at the best of times don't go near them until you are a confident caster.

Advertisement