Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri bars at sportives

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Normally I would treat it as a bit of craic but to be fair the first post didn't read like it was a bit of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

joey100 wrote: »
    Normally I would treat it as a bit of craic but to be fair the first post didn't read like it was a bit of craic.

I did mention tri bars at the W200 but wasn't taking the piss with regards to triathletes.
    The Brownlee brothers have to be some of the best athletes in the world and really don't get enough credit for what they put themselves through.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

joey100 wrote: »
    ....If they are allowed at the sportif the people are doing nothing wrong...
    Any sportive I've ever entered specifically stated that they aren't permitted but I'd still see them regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I think any rider with an ounce of cop on would know not to take tri bars to a mass participation event. While the Organizers may forbid it, unless they are able to bike check and patrol all participants, some will get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

fat bloke wrote: »
    Roadies hate mtb'ers, triathletes are silly, Fred's are funny etc.

That's me bolloxed so :confused::o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Is it just that if a TT bike happened to hit someone head on that the shape of the bars are dangerous? Or is there another thing I'm missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Is it just that if a TT bike happened to hit someone head on that the shape of the bars are dangerous? Or is there another thing I'm missing?
    The rider does not have immediate access to brakes and has limited steering while using tri bars.

Shedite27 wrote: »

I think it's more to do with lads being on the aero bars away from brakes which to be fair when cycling in a bunch is a valid point.

Anytime I've seen a tri bike at a sportive or group ride the lads are usually on the Base bar and not using the aero bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I think it's more to do with lads being on the aero bars away from brakes which to be fair when cycling in a bunch is a valid point.

Anytime I've seen a tri bike at a sportive or group ride the lads are usually on the Base bar and not using the aero bars.

Unless they have Di2 with extra shift buttons on the base bar then changing gear is probably also prone to compromising handling even while not down on the aero bars if they are on a full TT/tri rig too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Hands up if you ride your road bike with your forearms on the bars in a pseudo TT position from time to time in a headwind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Speaking as a triathlete:

I know many clubs ban TT bars from group rides. I understand it and agree with it. On the sport Ives I've done I've always only had the drops, normally I'm better off that way anyway as a sportive is normally a hilly route where weight saving is more beneficial than aero and also it's normally a bit of craic rather than a time trial or anything, much rather be on a group and having a bit of banter.

Even within triathlons when it's draft legal TT bars are not allowed as is the case with ITU elite racing.

The main concerns is reduced Handeling in the TT bars, no easy access to breaks and also the line of sight is reduced in the aero position

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

froearms.jpeg

zabriskie2.jpg

For the sportive lads who have no idea what I am talking about.

tunney wrote: »
    For the sportive lads who have no idea what I am talking about.

Much safer

bike-plank.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

^^ That's called throwing shapes. No reason not to use the drops into a headwind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    ^^ That's called throwing shapes. No reason not to use the drops into a headwind.

Limited black flexibility when in drops for extended length of time.

Advertisement