Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry lining cost

Options
  • 19-02-2017 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

We have a small back bedroom with three external walls used as a child's bedroom. As we are getting the attic converted I asked the builder who is working on the house at the moment to cost internal insulating the walls of the bedroom
    The price to remove and replace the existing skirting boards, carpets, sockets, radiator. To provide and install battens , 50mm insulation plasterboard. Finish with skim. Will cost €1,750 + Vat @ 13.5% .

Arklow based. I was expecting around 800euro. Any though on this very welcome. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

You need to take into account the different trades men who will need paying to do all that not just the cost of materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Martin32

You need to take into account the different trades men who will need paying to do all that not just the cost of materials.

ThanksPirateShampoo sorry I meant this was the quote for materials and labour. Do you think it's reasonable enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

have you the size of the room and we can work it out

have you the size of the room and we can work it out

Hi the 3 external walls are 20m2 in total ( minus the window)

Martin32 wrote: »
    Hi the 3 external walls are 20m2 in total ( minus the window)

Any thoughts pen_turner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

need a bit more info first

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Insulation boards will cost at least 40 euros per sheet, if you go for full system than materials will cost from 20 euros per m sq. Plus different trades

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭FMG

It is usually fixings (not battens) and adhesive is used to cling insulated board to walls ?. Are battens being used to create a cavity ?, just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 murraycps

As a builder who has lived and worked in 4 countries, it never fails to amaze me how even Architects in Ireland are still putting battens behind wall linings, in an air space which will incur dry rot or wet rot, depending on the ability of the insulation to deal with the differential between the inner and outer temperatures. The due point wants to be within the closed cell insulation so as not to incur condensation, recommend at least 75mm in Ireland to ensure this, mount the sheets on wallboard adhesive and seal top bottom and sides of all walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kevinkmb36

seal with what?? expanding foam??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 murraycps

Short answer yes or adhesive. Sorry I gave a detailed explanation but keep getting blown out with signing up and passwords. This site is a big time waster

Most Architects these days push for cavity blocks with internal insulation using 70mm Extratherm between battens and insulated board in front. I think they really must go back to school and learn about dew points and heat curves. Cost wise it ends up costing same as EWI, but performs way worse.
    People still don't understand difference between thermal comfort and energy efficiency. And how moist structure increases thermal conductivity and heating bills.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Most Architects these days push for cavity blocks with internal insulation using 70mm Extratherm between battens and insulated board in front. I think they really must go back to school and learn about dew points and heat curves. Cost wise it ends up costing same as EWI, but performs way worse.
    People still don't understand difference between thermal comfort and energy efficiency. And how moist structure increases thermal conductivity and heating bills.

What a sweeping generalising of architects. The architects in this forum educated you on this bad practice.

My apologies Brian,
    I know few good Architects pushing for NZEB and passive and so on, but in practice I noticed, when it comes to real projects a lot of them just push there suppliers products, like quinn or extratherm.
    In last two years I didn't see any project with real quality in mind ( regarding building envelopes), and that's the reason for my post above. I know it's unfair to the good architects out there, but I hope they will understand.

Advertisement