Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseekers for Substitute Teachers

Options
  • 19-02-2017 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been working in a school as a substitute since August. I was getting full hours but I finished there on Friday as the person I had been subbing for is coming back. In all likelihood, I'm going to be spending the next few months doing any bits and pieces of subbing I can pick up. I'm sure there are plenty that have been in this situation or are currently in it. It's new to me however as I am a first year teacher.

So what I want to know is what are my entitlements to social welfare? How do I go about applying? Do I need any forms or anything from the Department of Education? I noticed on the social welfare website that they look for a P45 which I don't have as I've been working as a sub, not on a contract. Sorry, just a bit clueless. Any help appreciated.

Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Hi,

I've been working in a school as a substitute since August. I was getting full hours but I finished there on Friday as the person I had been subbing for is coming back. In all likelihood, I'm going to be spending the next few months doing any bits and pieces of subbing I can pick up. I'm sure there are plenty that have been in this situation or are currently in it. It's new to me however as I am a first year teacher.

So what I want to know is what are my entitlements to social welfare? How do I go about applying? Do I need any forms or anything from the Department of Education? I noticed on the social welfare website that they look for a P45 which I don't have as I've been working as a sub, not on a contract. Sorry, just a bit clueless. Any help appreciated.

Tom

Get down to your local social welfare office on your first day they are open and you're unemployed. Yes there are forms to be filled in and it can take a while to process stuff but I haven't always had a P45 and have still had my claims processed. My local SW office has a seperate section for all the teachers paperwork things are that bad. You quickly get used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TheSplendid

Get a letter from the school stating that you've been working with them and when you finished, that's what I've always been asked and it works as well as a P45.

Advertisement