Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long term travel insurance for Dubai and some questions about Dubai

• 19-02-2017 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'll be moving to Dubai for 3-6 months in April and I was wondering:

What companies are good for travel insurance for this kind of thing? Do I pay monthly or the 3-6 months upfront?

How easy is it to set up a bank account over there to get paid by my employer?

What is the usual route for mobile phones for the Irish over there? Best to get my phone unlocked before I go and get a fresh SIM card over there? Are Vodafone over there as Im currently with them and I'd like to stay with them for ease of use.

Ive probably more questions but they are the first three that are coming to mind

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Boosted Paper9

Anyone?

Need to get some of this sorted asap. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Moving to Dubai for 3-6months doesn't make sense?
    You need a residence visa to work here visas are for 2-3years. There are mission visa's for 3 months but I don't know of many shore staff using/getting them these days.
    If you are coming to work you will need a visa and your company must provide you with medical insurance. You cannot set up a bank account with out a visa 
    There are only two phone companies du & etisalat no vodafone, you can get a pre pay sim, the will ask for copy of your passport and your visit visa so have it with you when you go to the shop. Best to get your phone unlocked before you come.
    Your employer should be answering all these questions. 
    If they are not providing you with a visa they will expect you to do border runs monthly, be aware the rules have changed and while its still possible its more complicated than before.

Just to add working on a visit visa is illegal, if caught there would be hefty fines and deportation. Lots of people do work this way but it is risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Boosted Paper9

wuffly wrote: »
    Moving to Dubai for 3-6months doesn't make sense?
    You need a residence visa to work here visas are for 2-3years. There are mission visa's for 3 months but I don't know of many shore staff using/getting them these days.
    If you are coming to work you will need a visa and your company must provide you with medical insurance.

Hi, it'll be for a hotel over there so I dont know if that makes a difference?

Thanks for your help on the rest.

I don't think so, offshore would be somewhat different. 
    Hotels employ large numbers of staff so should have a good HR/PRO dept and hopefully sort out all your paperwork properly.
    There is no free healthcare here, if you get sick a government hospital will treat you but charge you after the fact, a private hospital will not treat you without payment in advance. I was on the wrong side of this myself when my insurance didn't want to pay for emergency surgery and my OH had to go pay a 5k credit card deposit while I was being prepped for the surgery. My insurance eventually refunded me. 
    I would ask all these questions to the hotel, like I said people can and do work without visa's its just risky and leaves you a lot more exposed that then employer. Have you got any sort of contract? It won't help much if its not registered with the Ministry of labour which it would need to be for a visa, but it would be good to know what they planning to do re visa and health insurance etc..
    VHI used to do a world health insurance package, I dropped as it was expensive and I had insurance through my work. I regret it now as I will have start as new customer when i go home. Might be worth checking. 
    Best of luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement