Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB sportive

Options
  • 19-02-2017 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks anyone know of any MTB sportives coming up this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

I assume this will be on again
    https://dacooleythriller.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

You just missed a cracker in ballyhouras today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Da cooley thriller will be on mid to late summer. I don't the short route last yr. Fantastic sense of achievement having finished it

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

The cooley thriller is most definitely a race.

We need more mtb sportives though. great way of getting to ride new trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Another one is the Nire Valley Drop.. http://www.nirevalley.com/index.php/nire-valley-drop

MTB sportives don't tend to get the numbers entering so aren't v popular in Ireland..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

I joined the local MTB club (Galway MTB) and they're constantly sending out info about up and coming rides and local spins on their members only facebook page. I also spotted the recent MTB sportive in Ballyhouras on the Cycle Ireland events page.

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/events/events-calendar-2016/leisure-events

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

If you do the shorter route for the cooley thriller it's not really a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

lizzylad84 wrote: »

Is the single track very technical on the longer route?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

lizzylad84 wrote: »

It's a race no matter which one you do, the long or short version.. If someone chooses to race it, well that's up to them...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

The Cooley Thriller is very definitely a race .... I'm still bearing the mental scars from last year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

You lads must be the fast lads!

Further back in the pack its array of bodies, most looking shell shocked and suffering from cramp :pac: - the only thing on our minds is getting to the finish in one piece!
    TGD wrote: »
    Is the single track very technical on the longer route?

Haven't done the shorter route, so can't compare to how that is, but the long route wouldn't be that technical per se. It's a long day in the saddle with some tough climbs. It'll take it out of you physically, rather than having shrink your balls descents.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I did the NIRE valley drop last year and it was fantastic.
    Would love to do more.
    Could we ask the overlords to let us have a dedicated thread listing events coming up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

RobFowl wrote: »
    I did the NIRE valley drop last year and it was fantastic.
    Would love to do more.
    Could we ask the overlords to let us have a dedicated thread listing events coming up?

The only reason that event goes ahead is the insurance provided by the charity event insurance. Without it Coillte won't allow access.

The routes possible with a combination of forest roads/country roads on cx/gravel bikes in parts of the country would be top drawer; not going to happen with current legal framework

I wish they would move the nire valley to summertime. call it a marathon?

they would get way more entries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Lads is there anywhere to find an official description of whats required for a Marathon Route. Around me there are some great possibilities.

from memory..... under uci rules it should be over 65km and may cross over itself once but not overlap itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Im still thinking of doing the Dublin Mountain way spin soon....
    Just my dates are all over the shop...and cant pin one down to be exact but ill throw it up here when I sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

crosswords wrote: »
    from memory..... under uci rules it should be over 65km and may cross over itself once but not overlap itself.
    UCI wrote:
    Cross-country marathon – XCM
    The cross-country marathon format races must respect the minimum distance of 60km and maximum 160km.

All XCM events will be considered as Class 3 events.

Any organiser wishing to use distances outside those stated must obtain preliminary permission from UCI.

The course must be marked every ten kilometers by a sign indicating the distance remaining to be raced.

The race can be run over a single lap, or multi-lap with a maximum number of laps of three (3).

In the event of a single lap the course may not include any section to be covered twice.

Only the start and finish lines may be located at the same place.

In the event of a multi-lap race, short-cuts on the lap for the women’s race are not allowed

Although, I recall that the European Championships in Ballyhoura did the green inward section twice??? Unless the rules have changed since then :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

This m8ght be of interest to some on here I'm not affiliated but seems to be for a good cause andamage any excuse to get out on the mtb.

No links just a screen grab from FB I'm sure if you message them there'll be more info. I'll probably head down myself.

Screenshot_20170301-140323_zpsm3y5niqg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Euppy

crosswords wrote: »
    I wish they would move the nire valley to summertime. call it a marathon?

they would get way more entries too.

I concur, clashes with cyclocross season

• Advertisement
Advertisement