Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property price register shows I paid more than my neighbours

Options
  • 20-02-2017 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi I am wondering how the property price register is compiled as I have made a very daunting discovery that has made me feel physically sick.

Basically I paid full asking price for a new build home earlier this month. I was having a look around on the net tonight and stumbled across the PPR and it says the house next door to me sold 10 days before for 38k less than the asking price.

Has anyone got any info on this as I feel I have been screwed big time although it doesnt make sense because all my phase has been secured with deposits and the next phase is almost finished and have gone up 5k in asking price.

One more point the PPR.ie give different figures than Property price register Ireland.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Hi I am wondering how the property price register is compiled as I have made a very daunting discovery that has made me feel physically sick.

Basically I paid full asking price for a new build home earlier this month. I was having a look around on the net tonight and stumbled across the PPR and it says the house next door to me sold 10 days before for 38k less than the asking price.

Has anyone got any info on this as I feel I have been screwed big time although it doesnt make sense because all my phase has been secured with deposits and the next phase is almost finished and have gone up 5k in asking price.

One more point the PPR.ie give different figures than Property price register Ireland.

Thank you in advance

Is your house up yet? The PPR shows an ex VAT figure for new builds, could this explain the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

New house prices are not inclusive of VAT on the property price register.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Also, www.ppr.ie is a personnel recruitment site?

www.propertypriceregister.ie is the correct site.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Is your house up yet? The PPR shows an ex VAT figure for new builds, could this explain the difference?

Yes it says both houses are VAT exclusive and mine is listed at the full price I paid and the other at 38k cheaper

It is also listing the show house as 40k cheaper than what I paid and it was advertised as 15k more expensive than mine.
    Surely they must be mistakes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

The PPR is based on the amount the Revenue were told the house was sold for based on the stamp duty that was paid to them

Is that the only house that is listed below others?

newacc2015 wrote: »
    The PPR is based on the amount the Revenue were told the house was sold for based on the stamp duty that was paid to them

Is that the only house that is listed below others?

Ok so if someone could pay less tax someway that could explain why their house is listed as cheaper. I know the house owners at 38k cheaper are business owners in the town.

Yes two other houses from the same phase. One listed as 25k cheaper and the other as 4k cheaper

So basically to put all this info together

My house A- asking price
    Next house B (10 days prior)- 38k less
    House C (6 weeks prior)- 25k less
    House D (6 weeks prior)- 4k less
    Show house E advertised 15k more sold- 40k less

Thank you everyone. Ill find it hard to sleep tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Thank you in advance

If you judged the house worth what you paid for it then why does it matter that a neighbour bought cheaper?

benjamin d wrote: »
    If you judged the house worth what you paid for it then why does it matter that a neighbour bought cheaper?

Because Im a FTB and not from the area so I feel maybe I was fooled here. Also I was lead to believe that these houses were in great demand. Which is fairly evident on site. They are continuing to build and sold someone a house almost 40k cheaper than mine 10 days prior.

<mod snip: leave the moderation to the mods please>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

I bought my house in 2004, in 2009 the new neighbour 2 doors up from me paid over €250k less than what I paid, virtually for the same house, similar condition. Do you feel better now.

All I'm asking the forum is if its possible the figures are correct. All the houses are the exact same sold at almost the same time yet the prices displayed make no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

It is also listing the show house as 40k cheaper than what I paid and it was advertised as 15k more expensive than mine.
    Surely they must be mistakes

I wouldn't 100% trust those sites

My friend bought a fix upper for 110k, ppr had it up as 104k for some reason.

Try not to get overly worked up on the price you paid, if you paid cash I would be pissed, as that is the price you pay

If you got a mortgage, your probably paying 500k for a 250k house anyway when you include the interest over the term of 35 or so years

Most people go with their local bank like BOI and get screwed on rates.

Hopefully the people that bought cheaper than you went with their local bank and you were clever and went with a low interest rate like kbc and you will that 40k back :)

thierry14 wrote: »
    I wouldn't 100% trust those sites

My friend bought a fix upper for 110k, ppr had it up as 104k for some reason.

Try not to get overly worked up on the price you paid, if you paid cash I would be pissed, as that is the price you pay

If you got a mortgage, your probably paying 500k for a 250k house anyway when you include the interest over the term of 35 or so years

Most people go with their local bank like BOI and get screwed on rates.

Hopefully the people that bought cheaper than you went with their local bank and you were clever and went with a low interest rate like kbc and you will that 40k back :)

Thank you very much for your answer. I just couldnt make sense of it. Im starting a new chapter in a new part of the world far from home. It wouldnt be nice to think that the very first thing I done I was mislead or someone saw me coming.

FYI I went with Ulster Bank as they had the lowest Fixed Rate along with KBC actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Level of finish can affect prices too albeit not to the extent you're describing. I've known lads to get homes with only unplastered stud walls and they finished the homes themselves but they where working for the builder. Also the previous land owner could have negotiated a reduced price home for a child\relative as part of the sale of land. This happened in my old housing estate in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Maybe a little bit of part payment in cash by the other buyers cut down the stamp duty due😆

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Thank you very much for your answer. I just couldnt make sense of it. Im starting a new chapter in a new part of the world far from home. It wouldnt be nice to think that the very first thing I done I was mislead or someone saw me coming.

FYI I went with Ulster Bank as they had the lowest Fixed Rate along with KBC actually.

Good stuff that you got a good rate, that's where you save the money, not all this cash back ****.

Most people are so happy to even get a mortgage that the rate and terms comes second to it, hard to blame it too when it's so hard to get one these days.

For what it's worth, I find it extremely unlikely and I mean not a ****ing chance that someone bought an identical new build house as you for 38k less.

In this market where people are sleeping in ****ing cars and paying people to queue in line for new builds and then to take a 38k loss, not a hope.

Wouldn't believe it for a second.

You can go sleep with a clear mind :)

Car99 wrote: »
    Maybe a little bit of part payment in cash by the other buyers cut down the stamp duty due😆

Thats what Im starting to think but seems like alot of cash to have lying around no?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If you're happy with your home, feck it and move on. There is absolutely nothing you can do about it now other than sell and try and pass on the mark up.

thierry14 wrote: »
    Good stuff that you got a good rate, that's where you save the money, not all this cash back ****.

Most people are so happy to even get a mortgage that the rate and terms comes second to it, hard to blame it too when it's so hard to get one these days.

For what it's worth, I find it extremely unlikely and I mean not a ****ing chance that someone bought an identical new build house as you for 38k less.

In this market where people are sleeping in ****ing cars and paying people to queue in line for new builds and then to take a 38k loss, not a hope.

Wouldn't believe it for a second.

You can go sleep with a clear mind :)

Cheers. Your after helping me silence ths pessimistic monkey on the other shoulder now. Ive been back and forth in my head all evening.

I suppose Im just a bit apprehensive. Its a big step for me and it took me a while to get here. Just trying to make sure everything is as it seems. The neighbours obviously had cash under the mattress, I didnt. Thats just the way the cookie crumbles.

Youve eased my mind thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Yes it says both houses are VAT exclusive and mine is listed at the full price I paid and the other at 38k cheaper

Well if yours is listed at the full price you paid it's listed wronglyrics someone put the price up wrong.

Well if yours is listed at the full price you paid it's listed wronglyrics someone put the price up wrong.

Exactly there is no consistency with the prices or the two different sites.

Exactly there is no consistency with the prices or the two different sites.

What two different sites?

There is only one site under discussion.

The property register. This should show a price 1000/1135 of what you paid because you bought a new house.

For example if you paid 360,000 it should show 317,000.

If the person is showing full price you paid someone made a silly error filling out the information.

Your neighbours should be showing as less than what you paid.

What two different sites?

There is only one site under discussion.

The property register. This should show a price 1000/1135 of what you paid because you bought a new house.

For example if you paid 360,000 it should show 317,000.

If the person is showing full price you paid someone made a silly error filling out the information.

Your neighbours should be showing as less than what you paid.

There's propertypriceregister.ie and propertypriceIreland.com

There's propertypriceregister.ie and propertypriceIreland.com

Can you link to the second site. It's not appearing for me. The former is the actual property price register.

Can you link to the second site. It's not appearing for me. The former is the actual property price register.

http://propertypriceregisterireland.com

That website adds the VAT back on newbuilds

It's not an official website.

That website adds the VAT back on newbuilds

It's not an official website.

Ok you seem to know a bit about taxation etc. Would you agree with the others who have suggested that cash would be the main reason for the difference in the stamp duty?

Ok you seem to know a bit about taxation etc. Would you agree with the others who have suggested that cash would be the main reason for the difference in the stamp duty?

No I would not not expect that illegal activity is a likely explanation.

I would expect that the most likely explanation is that someone typed the wrong figures in to the website.

You said earlier in the thread that propertypriceregister is showing your house at the full price you paid. Is this correct. It should not be showing the full price you paid.

The second most likely scenario is that your house is not the same as the neighbours. Either you are a 4 bed and they are a 3 bed or you have a garage or an extended kitchen and they don't.

The third most likely scenario for a difference in prices displayed is that you are comparing the actual register with the other website and not realising that one shows net and the other shows gross despite it being explained to you.

Hell it's more likely that the builders made a structural flaw in the building that left the house irreparably crooked (and so your neighbour got a discount) than the idea that your neighbours paid 40,000 cash to a developer to avoid stamp duty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Maybe someone connected to the construction company bought the cheaper house. An long standing employee perhaps may get a discount.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement